Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Sucks USB Space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$29 today.

upload_2019-3-31_13-33-9.png

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
I bought a scandisk pro and there is no option for FAT32
View attachment 391154 These work for me. Model X and Model 3P. 256.

I bought that one yesterday, plugged it in and no icon, Tesla said I had to format it and create a "TeslaCam" folder which I did but there is no FAT32 option, it's exFAT......is that ok?

I am now going to exchange it for a 256.

Last edited:
I bought a scandisk pro and there is no option for FAT32

I bought that one yesterday, plugged it in and no icon, Tesla said I had to format it and create a "TeslaCam" folder which I did but there is no FAT32 option, it's exFAT......is that ok?

I am now going to exchange it for a 256.

No, ExFAT isn't the same as FAT32.

You can format any key/card FAT32, but may need a 3rd party program to do it (Windows native format utility can't do FAT32 larger than 32GB)

I left my car at the airport this morning and don't return in Friday afternoon. I've got a 128GB USB and have Sentry Mode on. I'll be curious to see if I fill it up by the time I get back home. I've also got a 2CH Blackvue running and am currently losing about 1MPH, so hopefully I don't run too low on battery before Friday and it shuts off at 20%.

I left my car at the airport this morning and don't return in Friday afternoon. I've got a 128GB USB and have Sentry Mode on. I'll be curious to see if I fill it up by the time I get back home. I've also got a 2CH Blackvue running and am currently losing about 1MPH, so hopefully I don't run too low on battery before Friday and it shuts off at 20%.

@whatthe2,

Let us know what your final amount is....curious.

Ski

I know nothing about formatting. Why flash should I get that is 256 and FAT32?

You are unlikely to get anything that size that arrives formatted FAT32, you're going to have to reformat it yourself....there's several threads with detailed directions for doing this here depending on what type of computer (windows (and what version of windows) or Mac for example).

Ah, well I know nothing about formating, so do I need to get a different flash drive?

No. "Formatting," in common parlance with respect to digital media, is a matter of writing filesystem data structures to the device so that you can store files on it. These data structures help organize the files you store on the disk -- they provide a way to store filenames, create folders, etc. Without a filesystem, the disk is just one big unorganized blob, like a library with no book shelves or card catalog (or its computerized equivalent). You could shovel books into the building, but you'd have a hard time finding any given book when you're done. The filesystem is a bit like book shelves and card catalog; it enables you to find the files (books) after they've been stored.

The brand of the device, and even what type of device it is (floppy disk, hard disk, SSD, USB flash drive, CF drive, etc.) don't matter. (There are some exceptions, like CD-R and DVD media; those require special filesystems.) Size can matter, though. Every filesystem (FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, ext4fs, etc.) has upper and lower limits on filesystem size. These days, the lower limits are unlikely to matter, since even small USB flash drives are more than big enough. The upper limits can matter, though. For FAT32, the technical upper size limit is 2TiB (2048 GiB; assuming 512-byte sectors, which is what you'll find on most or all USB flash drives and similar media); however, Windows won't create a FAT32 filesystem larger than 32GiB, IIRC. This is a limitation of the Windows disk-preparation tool, though, not of FAT32 itself. Third-party tools and other OSes don't have this limit, and Windows will read FAT32 filesystems that are larger than 32GiB without difficulty. I don't know Microsoft's reasoning for imposing this limit, but my guess is that it's to encourage users to switch to NTFS or exFAT for larger volumes. Unfortunately, the Tesla's infotainment computer won't read or write either of these formats. (This is a common limitation of specialized devices.)

As background, FAT is a very old filesystem family. Broadly speaking, it comes in three variants: FAT12 (32 MiB maximum volume size), FAT16 (2 GiB maximum volume size), and FAT32 (2 TiB maximum volume size). Thus, if you dust off floppy disks from the 1980s, they'll likely use FAT12; early hard disks used FAT16, and modern hard disks and removable media use FAT32. Many partitioning tools will pick a sensible default FAT size (12, 16, or 32) for the media size, so sometimes it's just referred to as "FAT." There's also a "VFAT" variant of each of these -- but that has to do with how filenames are interpreted, with VFAT providing long filenames. (The original FAT was limited to DOS-style 8-character filenames with 3-character extensions, like TESLACAM.TXT.) Once a filesystem is created, its filenames can be interpreted in either way, but the VFAT style is so ubiquitous today that it's really the default. I only mention VFAT because you might see references to it.

The exFAT filesystem, OTOH, is a more radical departure from FAT. It supports even larger volumes than FAT32, and it has various technical enhancements. It's not as well-supported by dedicated devices because it uses some patented technologies, so implementing support for it may require paying license fees to Microsoft. A lot of dedicated computing devices are based on Linux, and the Linux development community frowns upon software patents, so exFAT support has been slow to emerge in Linux. (Somebody could easily write a book on the issues with software patents; my comments here are very approximate!) Similar comments apply to NTFS.

I don't use Windows much myself (I'm a Linux guy), so I can't recommend specific Windows filesystem-creation tools to use. Others have posted their recommendations in this thread, though. If you happen to dual-boot with Linux, you can use the command-line mkdosfs in Linux, as in:

Code:
mkdosfs -n TESLA /dev/sdc1

That creates a FAT filesystem on /dev/sdc1 (you may need to change that identifier) and names it "TESLA" (you can change the name, if you like). A GUI tool like GParted will also do the job.

On a Mac, the Disk Utility program should work.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Holo and is2scooby
No. "Formatting," in common parlance with respect to digital media, is a matter of writing filesystem data structures to the device so that you can store files on it. These data structures help organize the files you store on the disk -- they provide a way to store filenames, create folders, etc. Without a filesystem, the disk is just one big unorganized blob, like a library with no book shelves or card catalog (or its computerized equivalent). You could shovel books into the building, but you'd have a hard time finding any given book when you're done. The filesystem is a bit like book shelves and card catalog; it enables you to find the files (books) after they've been stored.

The brand of the device, and even what type of device it is (floppy disk, hard disk, SSD, USB flash drive, CF drive, etc.) don't matter. (There are some exceptions, like CD-R and DVD media; those require special filesystems.) Size can matter, though. Every filesystem (FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, ext4fs, etc.) has upper and lower limits on filesystem size. These days, the lower limits are unlikely to matter, since even small USB flash drives are more than big enough. The upper limits can matter, though. For FAT32, the technical upper size limit is 2TiB (2048 GiB; assuming 512-byte sectors, which is what you'll find on most or all USB flash drives and similar media); however, Windows won't create a FAT32 filesystem larger than 32GiB, IIRC. This is a limitation of the Windows disk-preparation tool, though, not of FAT32 itself. Third-party tools and other OSes don't have this limit, and Windows will read FAT32 filesystems that are larger than 32GiB without difficulty. I don't know Microsoft's reasoning for imposing this limit, but my guess is that it's to encourage users to switch to NTFS or exFAT for larger volumes. Unfortunately, the Tesla's infotainment computer won't read or write either of these formats. (This is a common limitation of specialized devices.)

As background, FAT is a very old filesystem family. Broadly speaking, it comes in three variants: FAT12 (32 MiB maximum volume size), FAT16 (2 GiB maximum volume size), and FAT32 (2 TiB maximum volume size). Thus, if you dust off floppy disks from the 1980s, they'll likely use FAT12; early hard disks used FAT16, and modern hard disks and removable media use FAT32. Many partitioning tools will pick a sensible default FAT size (12, 16, or 32) for the media size, so sometimes it's just referred to as "FAT." There's also a "VFAT" variant of each of these -- but that has to do with how filenames are interpreted, with VFAT providing long filenames. (The original FAT was limited to DOS-style 8-character filenames with 3-character extensions, like TESLACAM.TXT.) Once a filesystem is created, its filenames can be interpreted in either way, but the VFAT style is so ubiquitous today that it's really the default. I only mention VFAT because you might see references to it.

The exFAT filesystem, OTOH, is a more radical departure from FAT. It supports even larger volumes than FAT32, and it has various technical enhancements. It's not as well-supported by dedicated devices because it uses some patented technologies, so implementing support for it may require paying license fees to Microsoft. A lot of dedicated computing devices are based on Linux, and the Linux development community frowns upon software patents, so exFAT support has been slow to emerge in Linux. (Somebody could easily write a book on the issues with software patents; my comments here are very approximate!) Similar comments apply to NTFS.

I don't use Windows much myself (I'm a Linux guy), so I can't recommend specific Windows filesystem-creation tools to use. Others have posted their recommendations in this thread, though. If you happen to dual-boot with Linux, you can use the command-line mkdosfs in Linux, as in:

Code:
mkdosfs -n TESLA /dev/sdc1

That creates a FAT filesystem on /dev/sdc1 (you may need to change that identifier) and names it "TESLA" (you can change the name, if you like). A GUI tool like GParted will also do the job.

On a Mac, the Disk Utility program should work.

This helped me figure it out, so I tested it on my 64 even though I am going to exchange it tomorrow. It looks like it worked.
format exfat to fat32 windows 7 - Google Search

I would continue to not recommend any flash based USB drives. I think it'll be a matter of short time before the drive goes bad with the amount of constant writing that's going on. My Samsung FIT 32GB usb flash drive worked for a bit before sentry mode. As soon as sentry mode upgrade came, the drive died quickly afterwards. Use a dashcam friendly microsd cards with a usb adapter.

Samsung PRO Endurance
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9KTLJZ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Micro SD USB adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FRR86QU/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just to clarify you don't recommend flash but you do recommend flash.

Samsung Pro Endurance is a flash drive. There isn't a USB drive or card smaller than a pack of gum that isn't a flash based product.

Just to clarify you don't recommend flash but you do recommend flash.

Samsung Pro Endurance is a flash drive. There isn't a USB drive or card smaller than a pack of gum that isn't a flash based product.

As I clarified earlier...

Yes. I'm also not recommending just any sd card either. Dashcam friendly cards like the one above are ideal for dashcam and constant video recording uses. I'm not aware of any USB flash drives that are built for dashcam uses, maybe b/c most dashcams use sd cards. As linked earlier in the thread, there's more detail in the link below.

MicroSD Cards We Recommend for Dash Cameras

And to clarify, modern SSDs are also flash based, I'm not saying don't use large external USB SSD drives (multi/parallel flash). I'm talking more about the cheaper flash drives (single flash memory). Trying to save tesla owners from buying usb flash cards that they'll regret later.

Recommended:
SSD
High Endurance micro sd cards

Not Recommended:
single memory USB flash drives (ie, most small usb flash drives)

Reactions: Scott7

Heh. I just left my Model 3 at the airport for a week and DID NOT turn on Sentry Mode. I know that if I had it on, I will lose close to 200 miles. I got back to the car and just regular vamp drain lost about 25 miles in a week. I think you are going to lose about 150 or at 20% whichever came first.

Heh. I just left my Model 3 at the airport for a week and DID NOT turn on Sentry Mode. I know that if I had it on, I will lose close to 200 miles. I got back to the car and just regular vamp drain lost about 25 miles in a week. I think you are going to lose about 150 or at 20% whichever came first.
I am shipping my car across the country and it take 7 days. So, it sounds like I can't turn on Sentry Mode given the power drain, which is really unfortunate. Is there a way to turn it on and off remotely.

Yep, tracking about 1MPH loss at this point so sounds about right. I arrived with 271 so should make it to the end of the week.