Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode to the rescue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No disrespect to Bjorn, but that was a pretty flawed test.

Yep, but my main point was that I dont think its processing all that video real time like AP.

I think what it does is something simpler, like recording to dashcam and IF parking sensors are triggered, saving a 10 min clip to a different folder.

I do not think it's running full recognition of cars/people/cyclists.

Of course I could be wrong. Would be interesting test....

1 Park the car in a field with sentry mode.
2. Walk out of range of parking sensors and give it a good 10 min to forget you were there
3. Throw a water balloon (or something that won't damage the car) at the car roof (making sure not to trigger parking sensors)
4. Leave it for a good 10 min - don't walk up to it
5. Come back and see if it saved the footage or event

I bet that's how they do it. Running all that image processing all the time would probably be quite resource hungry.

Read a few reports where people get tons of events in their drive with no people... I'm betting that's some nearby bush triggering parking sensors at the range limit.

Sure so long as you remember to switch it on, can live with the 1 mile per hour range loss and afford the cost which could equate to hundreds of £ per year dependant on how much you use it an how you charge.
I'd rather have it than not but I think there is room for improvement. I'm sure eventually future models will have a co-processor to allow it to be used with only a fraction of the energy it currently consumes. Price of early adoption I guess
I think many people have safe home parking like in their own garages and many even at work. I use the setting to keep it off at these locations so I don’t think it cost very much to have it on while shopping and doing errands.