Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Seeking NEMA 14-30 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks to me like a simple build it yourself project. Buy a 14-30 plug at home depot. Buy a 3 foot piece of wire, 6-3 w/ ground. Buy a 14-50 outlet. The plugs are marked, usually, red, white, black, and ground, on each prong. Same with the outlets. Then plug into 14-30 outlet, and plug your UMC into the 14-50 end. Should cost less than $50, as I remember when I made mine. (You can pay extra for fancy plugs and outlets. Shop around.)

The only thing about this is if the Tesla one told the car to drop to 24 amps of charge or less. But I don't think they did. You have to do that step yourself when you use an adapter. Which is probably why Tesla doesn't make them.

I never have used mine, but I never know.

Reactions: dhrivnak
You can literally just cut the neutral prong off the 14-50 adapter, then it will work in 3 outlet types; 14-30, 14-50 and 14-60. The neutral is not used in the UMC, and it's just a dummy pin. Just be sure to set your max current to 24A when using it on a 14-30 or you will trip the breaker.

tesla-14-50-mod.jpg

I grabbed the pin with vise grip pliers and ripped it out, then just filled the hole with sealant. I use it all the time and it works perfectly.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
You can literally just cut the neutral prong off the 14-50 adapter, then it will work in 3 outlet types; 14-30, 14-50 and 14-60. The neutral is not used in the UMC, and it's just a dummy pin. Just be sure to set your max current to 24A when using it on a 14-30 or you will trip the breaker.

View attachment 110270

I grabbed the pin with vise grip pliers and ripped it out, then just filled the hole with sealant. I use it all the time and it works perfectly.

So glad I found this. Thank you. I was about to waste 50+ bucks on an adapter. Glad I don't have to now.

I noticed the adapters on evseadapters.com don't have the neutral pin either, which supports your decision. Thanks again.

Good info - thanks.

View attachment 110270

What I am reading is that the Tesla supplied 14-30 adapter has a limiting resistor which only allows 24amps to be pulled. This is a big deal. Otherwise I am depending on me to ALWAYS remember to manually set the charging limit to 24amps or risk melting an adapter.

I am looking to purchase an original 14-30 Tesla adapter.

Reactions: MP3Mike
You wont melt the adapter if you forget, you'll only trip the breaker. Keep in mind the Model S remembers your amp setting by location, so you only have to remember to set it once.

Assuming your breaker works properly. There are still a lot of the old FPE Stab-Lok panels/breakers out there that are known to not always work as they are supposed to.