Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking advice and shared experiences regarding Gap Protection claims with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - Recently, I totaled my Tesla Model Y and filed a claim with my insurance company. The insurance company settled the claim and paid Tesla the total cost of Model Y a month ago. According to the Gap Protection clause (#29) in my lease agreement, Tesla owes me the difference between the amount they requested in the Guarantee of Title letter and the amount paid by my insurance company.

Unfortunately, I have been struggling to receive the owed amount from Tesla. It has been a month since the insurance settlement, and despite numerous attempts to contact Tesla via phone and email, I have not received any concrete responses. I only get emails stating they are "working on it, escalating" with no further updates or details.

Has anyone else encountered a similar situation with Tesla and Gap Protection claims? If so, how did you manage to resolve the issue? Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. I got the check with the settlement overnighted to me. Timeline was roughly the following — MY-LR was totaled in third week of April, the insurance settlement happened around 2nd week of Feb and Tesla settled with me in the last week of March not before calling and emailing multiple times. The process could have been smoother

Is gap insurance included in all Tesla leases? If yes, where can you find this in the lease agreement? I want to check my agreement when I get it. I am in the process of leasing a Model S and have no lease agreement to look at and no one answers the phone when you call Tesla insurance. My sales rep said gap coverage is NOT included but I can't believe Tesla would be dumb enough to not add it to California leases.

Anyone with a 2023 Model S lease know the answer to this question?

Hi - Recently, I totaled my Tesla Model Y and filed a claim with my insurance company. The insurance company settled the claim and paid Tesla the total cost of Model Y a month ago. According to the Gap Protection clause (#29) in my lease agreement, Tesla owes me the difference between the amount they requested in the Guarantee of Title letter and the amount paid by my insurance company.

Unfortunately, I have been struggling to receive the owed amount from Tesla. It has been a month since the insurance settlement, and despite numerous attempts to contact Tesla via phone and email, I have not received any concrete responses. I only get emails stating they are "working on it, escalating" with no further updates or details.

Has anyone else encountered a similar situation with Tesla and Gap Protection claims? If so, how did you manage to resolve the issue? Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Have you heard anything? I’m currently in the same boat too and I’m freaking out and I can’t stop thinking about it. I don’t know how this works on how much I will get back since a put some money down. How much did you get back if you don’t mind me asking?