Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screws in wheel house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I took delivery of my Y 10 days ago and i just noticed that the front wheel house is covered by plastic and has no screws sticking out of the wheel house.
The rear on the other hand is not covered in plastic, looks like some kind of hard felt material and has 4 white screws sticking out all around the wheel house.

Can any one confirm of their Y has the same issue?

IMG_20200618_084436.jpg

Hi I took delivery of my Y 10 days ago and i just noticed that the front wheel house is covered by plastic and has no screws sticking out of the wheel house.
The rear on the other hand is not covered in plastic, looks like some kind of hard felt material and has 4 white screws sticking out all around the wheel house.

Interesting.. my wife's model 3 has the exact same thing. Rear wheel area is felt material and white screws, but hard plastic in the front. Never looked at it before.

First time I have seen a screw with the end facing the tire on a new or newish car. Seen it on older cars that someone messed with but never on a new one
i examined the front and I see the same screw holes there as the back, same location and all only the front has a plug in those holes while the back has those screws sticking out. It could be that they forgot to remove the screws and insert the plugs.

Does any one have no screws in the rear wheel housing?

They're not screws or any type of defect. They should just be a stud that is welded to the wheelhouse and the plastic screw/grommet thing just threads on over top of the liner. Other manufacturers do this as well and is not unique to Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: ucsdsig

View attachment 553141
It's been over a year since your post. I just picked up my Model Y on July 26 and just noticed this same issue on my brand new car. How is this not caught during QA?

I wonder how much more snow and ice would build up in the rear wheel wells with that fiber there instead of hard plastic? And if so, in trying to knock it out of there before a drive, might one damage the fiber well covering?
I live in western New York and I didn't notice an abnormal amount of snow and ice built up.

I do highly recommend mud flaps though. It was a night and day difference on my car during it's first winter after installing them as far as how clean the car looked.

I have the same thing. The problem is that there's supposed to be a little plastic nut threaded on that to hold the wheel well liner on. I'm missing about 1/2 of the nuts on these bolts. Anyone know an easy place to buy replacements?
I had about six missing and Tesla mobile service put the missing grommets in on a service request for another issue while they were out.

View attachment 553141
Took delivery on 2/12/22 and noticed the same thing. I ordered vinyl stew covers on Amazon. I plan to cover them to keep them clean at least! And since the caps are soft vinyl, won’t hurt anything if they shake off.

22 build too. Front has plastic. Rear has felt?

My bolts has a little plastic thing. But Was really wondering why the plastic front and felt rear..

Attachments

• 3991B72D-96AD-43F2-A0C6-0F37D2A36DD0.jpeg
    3991B72D-96AD-43F2-A0C6-0F37D2A36DD0.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 230