Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, that's an interesting report, I haven't noticed this one before, and it should of course not be like that. Which adapter do you have, if I have a similar one I can try to replicate it.

Cell is a Samsung S9+, with ELM 327 mini, slow to start but does well the job. However it drains the battery if I leave it connected. Difficult to get a Obdlink in Canada these days.

Fonts still small...not sure that is a problem for most.

I would suggest making a YT vid of the new version when you are done.

Perhaps I need to use a tablet to get bigger fonts? I am thinking a daylight readable one, but they are pricey.

Font size can be a problem yes. I plan to make the lists behave similar to the old app, so you can increase the font size. This is harder with the graphical dashboards - that screws up the layouts and stuff doesn't fit anymore. Some of the dashboards are intended for tablets and will look too small on a phone - not sure how smart that idea was, we'll see if we can add some adjustments to those too down the line.

The idea behind was that with the gauges, you could show one big one on a phone and have it readable, and with a tablet you could stack up several and still have it readable. Also with the arc gauges, my idea was that you squint once and figure out which ring is what, then you can read it from a distance afterwards, you know what each arc means, such as the battery SOC / front power / rear power / battery power. But I have recieved enough complaints to understand that this was not a good idea. We'll see what can be done about it, maybe adjustable font sizes, but fully editable gauges is the end goal - and when we get there, hopefully my inbox will be full of design ideas that are better than mine and can become default gauges, much better than those that are there now. Also I have an idea to be able to save to file and share gauges / dashboards / setups on the internet, which should open up a lot of possibilities.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
It's been a while since I've used the app. Haven't driven as much over months of course. I've noticed some buggy reporting on consumption and average consumption on my Model 3. Not sure if this is common but have seen at least one other user with the same issue in past week. Thought I bring it up since didn't notice any results searching back. Thanks.

@amund7 I haven't used the app in a while since I haven't been driving and I pulled it all out before I had the HW3 installed but I am back up and running and I noticed there is still a problem between Battery Power and R Power values having a ~3kW delta while driving and with battery preconditioning turned on.

@amund7 I haven't used the app in a while since I haven't been driving and I pulled it all out before I had the HW3 installed but I am back up and running and I noticed there is still a problem between Battery Power and R Power values having a ~3kW delta while driving and with battery preconditioning turned on.

Unless I am misunderstanding your situation, I would say the 3 kW is the PTC (cabin) heaters, A/C compressor, DC-DC converter (lights, seat heaters, fans and computers). Or did you turn off HVAC?

It's been a while since I've used the app. Haven't driven as much over months of course. I've noticed some buggy reporting on consumption and average consumption on my Model 3. Not sure if this is common but have seen at least one other user with the same issue in past week. Thought I bring it up since didn't notice any results searching back. Thanks.

The Trips can be a bit fiddly with Model 3. This is because this car does not report some signals, such as Odometer, which is used to calculate distance, until you actually start it and it's ready to drive. With Model S the app pulls all the individual signals needed to zero a trip at app startup, whenever you reset a trip manually or start a new one. For Model 3 the app couldn't do this, then it would only work when driving. If this is what you mean then yeah, we are aware, hope to solve this better in the 2.0 branch (current IOS version + future Android version).

The solution in V1.9.2 is to make sure the car is ON/ready to drive/brake pedal pressed when you start a trip, or to 'reset trip' after car is ready. This should have been explained somehow, but I realize it never was, I will add it to the FAQ.

• Informative
Reactions: CoolSilver
Unless I am misunderstanding your situation, I would say the 3 kW is the PTC (cabin) heaters, A/C compressor, DC-DC converter (lights, seat heaters, fans and computers). Or did you turn off HVAC?

No, the Battery Power is DROPPING as soon as you engage battery pre-conditioning WHILE driving. So the battery power is showing LESS than the motor power. I can get you a new CSV file if you want but I sent you one last January that you had acknowledged.

No, the Battery Power is DROPPING as soon as you engage battery pre-conditioning WHILE driving. So the battery power is showing LESS than the motor power. I can get you a new CSV file if you want but I sent you one last January that you had acknowledged.

Yes I remember. Sorry I never got to the bottom of it, will have to revisit it.

I notice that both Scan My Tesla and TesLAX don't have the ability to graph a signal over time. Is this particularly hard to do?

I use the app TezLAB that connects to my Tesla account and it does graph the charge and power as I charge and I would love to do that right in the TesLAX app. And perhaps not just one signal, but anything I can read from the car.

I know I can export to CSV and then graph in Excel or whatever. I know I can use the Max/Min gauge to see what the highest and lowest values have been over time, and that is great too. But I am more looking for a way to track the movement of the signals as the car or the charge stations make sounds that are of interest to me. Or to see if there is a correlation between certain signals. Does the Temp of the Battery track with the Charge Rate?

I have been playing with the graphing capability in the CanServer interface on the microDisplays and that is cool, but it really needs a scale for what I am graphing.

Reactions: amund7 and JWardell
I have been playing with the graphing capability in the CanServer interface on the microDisplays and that is cool, but it really needs a scale for what I am graphing.

The graphing on the microdisplays just plot in pixels what you send it up to the 80px of the display, so you can scale the signal however you want in the display lua script. I'd love to see a picture once you have it they way you want, you're the first one to use the feature :)

But I agree, I would love to see live configurable multi-signal graphs in the phone apps as well!

I have noticed an app called "scan my T3SLA" in the App Store, with the 3 instead of an E in "Tesla".
Is this the official iOS "Scan My Tesla" app and it's just spelled that way to avoid copyright issues, or is it a knock-off app?
Is it specific to the Model 3, or does it work for S and X also?

I have noticed an app called "scan my T3SLA" in the App Store, with the 3 instead of an E in "Tesla".
Is this the official iOS "Scan My Tesla" app and it's just spelled that way to avoid copyright issues, or is it a knock-off app?
You can always follow the app links from his official site: scan my tesla

Yes.... sadly earlier this year, Apple decided to force most apps to remove Tesla from their name

I should clarify that SMT crashing may well have to do with BT signal, and those on MCU1 that have Emmc issues may be the cause.

Never happens in the car driving, rarely when I am next to the car, about 50% of the time when in another room.
I just recently purchased Scan My Tesla which I’m running on a Nexus 7 tablet. I have the Maxwell cable & and OBDlink MX adapter. I frequently have the Scan My Tesla app crash & then after crashing the app will often fail to connect to the Bluetooth adapter again. To get it to work I have to disconnect it from the Maxwell cable & plug it back in. Any ideas where the issue is?

It's mine, but it's a mostly ground-up new app to support both platforms equally, as the original Android app works for Android only. It's still missing some of the features from the old Android app, but it's catching up. Expect to see a mirror app as a beta release for Android soon.

I notice that both Scan My Tesla and TesLAX don't have the ability to graph a signal over time. Is this particularly hard to do?
[...]

I have thought about it many times, but haven't been sure what to do. 5 sec trend? Full recording since app start? A charging session plot is a valid use case, then you could have a low sample rate and keep compressing the plot X axis as time is ticking. But the same plot would not work for say a 0-100 kph performance plot. The challenge is how to build it so it's universally usable and customizable enough to work with several use cases, and every time I think about it, it becomes way too fiddly and tiny to be usable on a phone, and there are already lots of great tools for PC and web (Teslalogger, TeslaFi, my own UDPLogger that plots scan my tesla CSV files, etc). If you were to select signals after recording, being able to scroll, zoom and pan... with a full data set... yeah that's pretty complicated. If you have good ideas of how this should look and behave, or other apps that do it well, do send it my way.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
I just recently purchased Scan My Tesla which I’m running on a Nexus 7 tablet. I have the Maxwell cable & and OBDlink MX adapter. I frequently have the Scan My Tesla app crash & then after crashing the app will often fail to connect to the Bluetooth adapter again. To get it to work I have to disconnect it from the Maxwell cable & plug it back in. Any ideas where the issue is?

This is an OBDLink firmware problem. The adapter locks up, stops responding to any commands from the app. Then app occationally crashes, which of course does not make the sitation any better. Or, the truth is, I have reported this problem to OBDLink for years, they have spent a lot of time trying to recreate the issue in their lab, but they can't. I honestly don't know where the problem is, but I know if I connect even a Windows laptop to the adapter after this happens, Windows also doesn't get any response from any command, even ATZ (reset). I suspect it also could do with the phone's bluetooth implementation, some phone brands are bad, some are perfect.

Some things to try:
- The OBDLink app has firmware updates, try that for starters
- Try to run less data through the app, don't always use the All tab but use the other premade ones, or create your own

With my equpment this only happens after recording CAN dumps for longer periods (usually 20+ minutes). Unless I do this I rarely see this problem, and I run the app literally 24/7 in the car for years. In my case the OBDlink loses power when the car sleeps, this makes it always boot fresh every day, you could check if your wiring harness allows this, if it doesn't you can move one pin on the car side to pull a 12v source that goes offline when the car is sleeping.

This is an OBDLink firmware problem. The adapter locks up, stops responding to any commands from the app. Then app occationally crashes, which of course does not make the sitation any better. Or, the truth is, I have reported this problem to OBDLink for years, they have spent a lot of time trying to recreate the issue in their lab, but they can't. I honestly don't know where the problem is, but I know if I connect even a Windows laptop to the adapter after this happens, Windows also doesn't get any response from any command, even ATZ (reset). I suspect it also could do with the phone's bluetooth implementation, some phone brands are bad, some are perfect.

Some things to try:
- The OBDLink app has firmware updates, try that for starters
- Try to run less data through the app, don't always use the All tab but use the other premade ones, or create your own

With my equpment this only happens after recording CAN dumps for longer periods (usually 20+ minutes). Unless I do this I rarely see this problem, and I run the app literally 24/7 in the car for years. In my case the OBDlink loses power when the car sleeps, this makes it always boot fresh every day, you could check if your wiring harness allows this, if it doesn't you can move one pin on the car side to pull a 12v source that goes offline when the car is sleeping.
I have never used the "All" tab, I mostly use the "Temps" & "Perf" tabs when in the car. My next step is to create my own tab with just the data points I'm most interested in. I have never had the app manage to run for 20 minutes without crashing. It usually happens after about 10 minutes of use.

I updated the OBDLink firmware last night. We'll see if that makes a difference.