Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Run and Drive Copart Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am way from my notes, but I think it used to be in Texas...
Dallas 5 Star Luxury PreOwned Dealer RARE ROADSTER 7k Miles Sterling Siver Metallic Rally Two Tone Premium Seats High Power ConnectorWelcome To Another Premier Vehicle Listing From Cotroneo Auto Group
tesla_roadster_2008_2008_tesla_roadster_5910003507139975578.jpg

From a while back:
Tesla Roadster for Sale
Make: Tesla
Model: Roadster
Year: 2008
Mileage: 7922
Transmission: Automatic
Exterior Color: Sterling Silver Metallic
Seller Name: Cotroneo Auto Group
City: Addison, TX
Price: $54,982.00
Address: 16050 Midway Road

I am new to the board after researching this hail damaged Roadster. I kind of want to save it! I had a local buddy inspect the car for me. The batteries are almost dead. The screen displays a "Coolant System Fault" and "Maintenance Required." But, it currently runs and drives. I suggested he shut it down ASAP to conserve battery power, but he left all the lights on and system running while he took photos for me.

The interior looks good except someone dislodged the passenger airbag cover. I don't know if the cover broken or will just pop back on. After market stereo still in place.

Every exterior panel has some sort of damage. The roof is missing and car is covered with plastic. My buddy thinks the windshield frame, front and rear bumpers can be saved. Maybe the left front fender as well. The doors have huge cracks in them. Actual holes in windshield, rear deck, hood, and right fender. They must have some massive hail in Colorado.

The car is waiting on title work from the state before moving to auction. 6-8 weeks is normal for the title work. If the title doesn't come back branded as salvage with hail damage, then it probably will upon the next title application. I don't know how long its been sitting, but the clock is ticking. Battery completely dead or sell at auction - which comes first. The cold isn't helping the battery.

I asked the yard if they could plug in to 110V to charge, but this site has no power! I asked if they would move the car to another site and they told me only the insurance company would approve the cost of the move. I called the insurance company and got nowhere. The car is worth more without a bricked battery, but no one has the authority to move it where it can be charged. I asked Copart to ask the insurance company, but they seem to be disconnected.

So, will the cold and time brick this battery?

Are there replacement body panels for sale? (the rear looks available, but not the front)

What about the coolant system fault? Just the cold or worse?

• Helpful
Reactions: RobsJester

Are there replacement body panels for sale? (the rear looks available, but not the front)

What about the coolant system fault? Just the cold or worse?

The vampire drain will definitely brick the battery, eventually. How long depends on current charge state. It needs to be plugged in pronto. It would be a shame if it didn't get proper treatment!

I asked the yard if they could plug in to 110V to charge, but this site has no power! I asked if they would move the car to another site and they told me only the insurance company would approve the cost of the move. I called the insurance company and got nowhere. The car is worth more without a bricked battery, but no one has the authority to move it where it can be charged. I asked Copart to ask the insurance company, but they seem to be disconnected.

Another option is to have someone pull the service disconnect (orange plug in the rear left wheel arch). That will preserve the car in its current state for some time (months).

Service Disconnect

Reactions: dhrivnak
A Service Disconnect of the battery would be great, except it isn't my car. I don't want to kill the car so others don't have a fair chance of inspecting it. Actually, I do wish to dissuade other buyers, but my conscience gets the best of me.

Be warned - body parts for the roadster are VERY expensive.
E.g. the hood alone is $6.5k, if I recall correctly, though you sometimes can find body parts on ebay.
That hasn’t been my experience. A door and rear quarter panel were each under $1,000. However, painting and installation of the rear quarter required pulling the battery and that got to be very expensive. Expect labor and paint to be 3x parts cost.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Someone PM'd me, the newbie, with body questions. Lucky my buddy knows his stuff.

An entire bare carbon fiber body would be impossible without the car so as to perfectly align a last layer of fabric between panels. Rebody-ing an entire Roadster would be very expensive. The rear cover is huge and might end up with a seam. I think just having paint-able carbon fiber replacement panels with reasonable lead time at reasonable prices would be the best we can hope for.

Gotta win this Roadster!!

So true snaffah. I didn't start the thread so the cat was already out of the bag. Besides, the experts who buy these to part them out or repair have automated searches on eBay, Copart, IAA... They already had this one on their radar so no big deal to talk about it. Random potential buyer pool is small for a heavily body damaged Roadster with uber rare and expensive body parts and a probably bricked battery that is uber rare and expensive. My local contact is out of town so I can't do a last minute battery range check so I'm winging it. Let's see what happens. I am going into stealth mode...

All this time in the cold very likely has permanently bricked the battery, and there isn't a way to replace it. As it sits it really isn't worth more than 20k. there are non damaged, working 1.5 roadsters in the 40's now, they come up on ebay once in a while. There is one up there now.