Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Round Australia List! (put your name down if keen / serious)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope to go to Tassie too so maybe we'll catch up @Chuq / Charles !

Yes certainly will! For me it will almost as much of an adventure - a 300km trip in a vehicle which gets 100km to a charge when travelling at 80km/h, takes 5 hours to charge, and has only 15A power points in between :)

In fact ... perhaps you would like to do a presentation on your trip and experiences, and promote this list at the same time? :)

Yes certainly will! For me it will almost as much of an adventure - a 300km trip in a vehicle which gets 100km to a charge when travelling at 80km/h, takes 5 hours to charge, and has only 15A power points in between :)
You will REALLY appreciate your Model 3 when it comes @Chuq !

In fact ... perhaps you would like to do a presentation on your trip and experiences, and promote this list at the same time? :)
More than delighted ! Tessie loves the limelight. Where do I sign up?

This looks absolutely fabulous, and would love to do it ... need to talk the missus in to it. To that end, a few more details would be useful. For instance, while I'd love to do it, I wouldn't be so keen on a marathon driving effort, trying to do a minimum 700 km/day and get it done in 3 weeks. On the other hand, taking a whole year to do it might well not be possible. Would you be thinking of inflexible groups, i.e. Sydney today, everyone has to get to Heatherbrae on day x etc. I might like to spend a few days here and there. Would you be thinking of a staggered drive, because you can't charge 10 cars up at one destination charger in one day? Or is it a loosely affiliated group, with a list of chargers/destinations and everyone pretty much does their own thing? Something worth considering is, people in the group might have properties with a charger they are willing to throw into the ring for consideration.

This looks absolutely fabulous, and would love to do it ... need to talk the missus in to it. To that end, a few more details would be useful. For instance, while I'd love to do it, I wouldn't be so keen on a marathon driving effort, trying to do a minimum 700 km/day and get it done in 3 weeks. On the other hand, taking a whole year to do it might well not be possible. Would you be thinking of inflexible groups, i.e. Sydney today, everyone has to get to Heatherbrae on day x etc. I might like to spend a few days here and there. Would you be thinking of a staggered drive, because you can't charge 10 cars up at one destination charger in one day? Or is it a loosely affiliated group, with a list of chargers/destinations and everyone pretty much does their own thing? Something worth considering is, people in the group might have properties with a charger they are willing to throw into the ring for consideration.
Pretty much everyone doing their own thing @ChrsiH314 . The main point of the list is to prove to property owners that there are people interested !

Reactions: Chuq

It would be possible for a two car convoy with a bit of staggered charging across the top end when a location only has one 3 phase outlet available, the trip could be done in 5 weeks but you won't get to do much sightseeing, if you've already done the Melbourne to Brisbane tourist attractions an 8 to 12 week trip for the rest of Oz would work well, depends on how long you can handle living out of a Frunk.

It seems I am nearly unique in not being Australian, although I am Antipodean, if that helps. I made Sydney-Perth back in 1976, and always have wanted to make Round Australia. Now that it can be done with a Tesla I am going to do it, one way or another, next year I hope. I will need to find a Tesla in which to make the trip. I'm thinking about buying a used one in which to make the trip and selling it once the trip is finished or trying to hire a car for the trip. What alternative ways to obtain a Tesla fro the trip I do not do, but I am determined to make the trip next dry season, if possible. I'm planning to need about six weeks for the trip, more or less. Clearly I plan to drive more than sightsee.

I have made a handful of epic trips with ICE, Paris-Tehran being most challenging among them, but Round Australia via Tesla is the stuff of fantasy for me since I first acquired a Model S. Meeting with Ray Newman at TMC Connect has simply fed my imagination.

Reactions: baillies
One of the ironies of EVs is that it's hard to do things as a group. The advantage of EVs is distributing access to power, but that also the disadvantage.
Even a bank of 8 superchargers can be over-run by a rally, let alone a few destination chargers.

Yes just one thing @Chuq .

Tesla are definitely putting these destination chargers in for the use of Teslas. I spoke to Tesla's destination charging manager some months ago and he had not heard of non-teslas charging with adapters at destination chargers in Aust, but said that if it happened too much they would put in a hardware solution to the problem.

In the last few weeks it does appear according to Tim that Tesla are introducing "non-universal" destination chargers with 03G serial numbers that will only charge Teslas.

The WA guys are starting to promote either 3 phase with Dest Ch (see Cable Beach Broome) or 3 phase with DestC plugged in (see Geraldton), which seems the solid solution.

I may be naive, But Why won't Tesla allow other vehicle types to use Tesla destination / Superchargers if said vehicle had the correct onboard hardware and adaptors? No "free" Charging of course, all non-Tesla cars can enjoy the benefit of the Network, but at a price.

I may be naive, But Why won't Tesla allow other vehicle types to use Tesla destination / Superchargers if said vehicle had the correct onboard hardware and adaptors? No "free" Charging of course, all non-Tesla cars can enjoy the benefit of the Network, but at a price.
Because Tesla subsidizes the installation cost of the destination charger.

Yes cost for charging, just like all new Tesla drivers, goes without saying. But the real price would need to be paid by each participating EV manufacturer to become part of the Tesla charging alliance.

The Tesla charge infrastructure represents a huge investment & it's unregulated use would equate directly to sales of other EVs. Despite Tesla's open source attitude to competing EV's, this would not work successfully. With increasing numbers of S, X & especially 3's on the road, overcrowding & queuing is not in anyone's interest. Of course if other manufacturers participate, their investment would contribute to expanding the network, avoiding or at least reducing those issues with overdensity as EV sales eventually surpass those of ICE vehicles.

Yes cost for charging, just like all new Tesla drivers, goes without saying. But the real price would need to be paid by each participating EV manufacturer to become part of the Tesla charging alliance.

The Tesla charge infrastructure represents a huge investment & it's unregulated use would equate directly to sales of other EVs. Despite Tesla's open source attitude to competing EV's, this would not work successfully. With increasing numbers of S, X & especially 3's on the road, overcrowding & queuing is not in anyone's interest. Of course if other manufacturers participate, their investment would contribute to expanding the network, avoiding or at least reducing those issues with overdensity as EV sales eventually surpass those of ICE vehicles.
Our local shopping centre (Carindale Westfield) has four J1772 adapters provided by BMW. Usually all that charge there are Tesla.
I don't see the point in limiting adapters to the installer/sponsor.

Reactions: LimoX
Our local shopping centre (Carindale Westfield) has four J1772 adapters provided by BMW. Usually all that charge there are Tesla.
I don't see the point in limiting adapters to the installer/sponsor.
There's no financial incentive to allow competitors to use something you've paid for.
Every charge point is precious, and I can understand wanting to reserve them for one's own customers.

There's no financial incentive to allow competitors to use something you've paid for.
Every charge point is precious, and I can understand wanting to reserve them for one's own customers.
The incentive (which I was trying to point out above) is I use BMW provided adapters and there is a BMW provided CHAdeMO in Brisbane as well. Therefore Tesla adapters should be available to the BMW drivers here. Westfield Carindale adapters are provided by BMW and Logan Hyperdome adapters are provided by Tesla. Why not share?