Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof bike rack accident :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It finally happened to me. Forgot my bike was up top and pulled into my garage. Ugh. Fugging hell the crunch is still giving me nightmares. (Stray return submitted too soon, EDIT) The roof “pillars” are dented, and all 3 glass sections are toast. I’m worried replacing all to be like new will total the car. What will the 3 glass panes run? Any ideas for replacing/repairing the pillars? EDIT2: This is a 2017 Model 3. Gonna lose the cool “colored” glass up top and in the rear. :(

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jmaddr
Ooof. Man, condolences. I have this happen to friends and that sound is truly nightmarish and won't be forgotten. I'm assuming the bike also broke? Just like a train wreck, pictures would be appreciated (sorry).

Color is MSM. Yeah, the bike (Ventum GS1) is trashed. The wheels, drive train, and handlebars survived. The fork, head tube of the frame, and brifters took the impact. Starting the insurance process, but I'm worried the ins co will total it, losing my grandfathered-in features.

Reactions: jmaddr
Oh man that’s rough. I can hear it myself now. Hopefully insurance covers the Ventum too. I feel for ya…..

I once had three bikes on top of my m3 (a real m3) with the middle bike in a fork mount but mounted backwards. The rear wheel Velcro came loose and the bike flipped backwards onto the rear window at 80mph, but luckily stayed connected to the fork mount. Wasn’t pretty.

Color is MSM. Yeah, the bike (Ventum GS1) is trashed. The wheels, drive train, and handlebars survived. The fork, head tube of the frame, and brifters took the impact. Starting the insurance process, but I'm worried the ins co will total it, losing my grandfathered-in features.
While still a tragedy, MSM is not the Silver I was referring to. MSM is dark grey to my crayola box. Maybe it was called Bright Shiny Silver.

CyberShy: Oh i know. I like the lighter silver as well. Always said if I had it to do over again, it would have been my top choice.

Ins co just called and they are totaling it. Even without the glass, she said just about any A-pillar damage on the 3 is too much to repair usually.

suuuuck

Ins co just called and they are totaling it. Even without the glass, she said just about any A-pillar damage on the 3 is too much to repair usually.
Wow, this is why insurance rates are skyrocketing. I'm not an adjuster, but I can't see your A-Pillar as structurally compromised from the photos (from carbon fiber impact?). If it is, I get it for safety concerns. But if it's not....that's just nuts to total this vehicle because of glass. Insurance is gonna be more than a car payment soon.

Reactions: father_of_6