Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock chips!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well i knew it would happen at some point, but after a month of driving my hood got some lovely rock chips this morning.

Curious if I should use Dr. Colorchip. If not, what would be a guess to get this repaired (Seattle area)?

There is part that seems like an obvious chip (bottom of the photo), but the other looks to be scratch from the rocks (top of photo) so not sure if Dr. Colorchip works?
20190618_084457.jpg

Picture isn't great - taken a few inches above the hood. The damage is both above and below the phone reflection. It does not span the distance in between (of that makes sense.)

Thanks for the insight!

There is part that seems like an obvious chip (bottom of the photo), but the other looks to be scratch from the rocks (top of photo) so not sure if Dr. Colorchip works?

I've had success with Dr. Colorchip in the past, with damage similar to yours on my VW R32. For the deeper scratches, it may take several applications to build up the layers of paint. I think in order to get it to look like new, it may require a respray. IMO, it depends on how much you want to spend and how particular you are to the looks of the repair.......

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I've had success with Dr. Colorchip in the past, with damage similar to yours on my VW R32.

Thanks...the top part looks similar to a scratch but does not seem deep at all. I saw the Colorchip demos and thought almost too good to be true!

I'd say I'm somewhat particular but not willing to drop $1k to fix it. I was going to check with a Tesla certified shop to see what they think too...

If you're reasonably handy, you can do a full hood, wrapped edges, fender, mirror caps, yourself for under $600. Or a 30" partial for under $200. Bumper leave to a pro, then again, it's plastic, so you may not feel it's necessary to wrap. I used invisiblemask.com, but carprotectionpros.com also offers xpel.

I was going to check with a Tesla certified shop to see what they think too...

My Model 3 was delivered with similar paint scratches/gouges/chips on my upper driver's side front fender, driver's and passenger door sills and left rear quarter panel. I thought the Tesla approved body shop would just use touch up paint, but they ended up respraying all the panels with damage.

If you are getting ppf, the Dr. Colorchip repair is less noticeable underneath the paint protection film.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Well i knew it would happen at some point, but after a month of driving my hood got some lovely rock chips this morning.

Curious if I should use Dr. Colorchip. If not, what would be a guess to get this repaired (Seattle area)?

There is part that seems like an obvious chip (bottom of the photo), but the other looks to be scratch from the rocks (top of photo) so not sure if Dr. Colorchip works?View attachment 420590
Picture isn't great - taken a few inches above the hood. The damage is both above and below the phone reflection. It does not span the distance in between (of that makes sense.)

Thanks for the insight!

Yike those are noticeable even if you don't think your photo is great (sometimes I struggle to see what people are trying to point out but not here). That would make me sick looking at it. I never cared about any of the other cars I've owned but our Teslas a I do. Given that you can be assured to see more of these, I'd look into clearbra for at least that hood area. If you go the PPF route your detailer can do color correction for you beforehand. You could always add PPF sections of the car later if finances are tight and as you see a need. Seen lots of damage especially back east with rocker panels and wheel areas not doing well over the winter with wet salt, sand whatever getting sprayed up on it. In Seattle how is winter driving there? With Winter over with at least you might buy yourself some time for those areas.

Last edited:
I used Dr Colorchip to fix about 7 rock chips in the hood. The chips were all the way to bare, shiny metal. Very noticeable and bothersome. Afterwards, you have to search hard to find them. Matched the black factory paint VERY well. From the picture you posted, it’s very likely Dr Colorchip will work great with these as I had several areas with a similar damage pattern. It’s extremely important to keep your hand/fingers flat and use light pressure when wiping the blending cloth with solution around the area after the paint is applied. Otherwise, you can easily wipe the paint out of the chip. It’s unlikely you will be able to completely erase deep chips (the indentation will still be there) but it will be color-matched perfectly to the paint and not noticeable unless you’re looking for it. For the cost, and ease of DIY repair, it’s a fantastic solution.

I used Dr Colorchip to fix about 7 rock chips in the hood. The chips were all the way to bare, shiny metal. Very noticeable and bothersome. Afterwards, you have to search hard to find them. Matched the black factory paint VERY well. From the picture you posted, it’s very likely Dr Colorchip will work great with these as I had several areas with a similar damage pattern. It’s extremely important to keep your hand/fingers flat and use light pressure when wiping the blending cloth with solution around the area after the paint is applied. Otherwise, you can easily wipe the paint out of the chip. It’s unlikely you will be able to completely erase deep chips (the indentation will still be there) but it will be color-matched perfectly to the paint and not noticeable unless you’re looking for it. For the cost, and ease of DIY repair, it’s a fantastic solution.

Great to hear you had good success with Dr. Colorchip! I'm gonna give it a shot, though wondered what an auto detailer would charge (if they would even do it.) Might call around. Thx!

Great to hear you had good success with Dr. Colorchip! I'm gonna give it a shot, though wondered what an auto detailer would charge (if they would even do it.) Might call around. Thx!

Sure thing. Of course, you can always do what I just did and get a full color change wrap with ceramic coating. Lol Then you can re-wrap individual panels at a reasonable cost if they get scratched or damaged. However, the wrap will probably last, at most, 5 years and possibly closer to 3. This is my first one so time will tell. Good luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 230