Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Headlights in HID LED Upcycled - please order with weblink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roadster Headlights in HID LED Upcycled - please order with weblink

You do not have to waste your old headlight set. We will up-cycle these headlights in exchange. There are two many options for a complete HID LED Roadster headlights set. Price starts at 880 for low beam HID 35W only. Please configure your order at the link below.
http://www.teslaowners.us/spares/roadster/upcycled-headlight-roadster.html
----A typical order would look like this.--------
$ 850 Upcycle and installation labor if you order HID or LED strips: on
HID 4500k color 35W approx 3x brighter(usually enough) 65W 6x brighter than
regular: 35W-Low+High-Beam-$60
LED embedded super bright strips: LED inner part Amber as Blinker $ 150
LED parking light: LED-$25
LED Blinker Amber: Blinker-$40
Handling - Freight: Depending on Destination per USPS, UPS or FedEx paid by
ordering party
Inner headlight professional paint according to orginal Tesla color: Jet
Black Paint $ 350
Optional Installation $ 250 plus travel expenses: Please inform me about
installation costs. According the a quote Tesla Service would charge $ 450
for the exchange. Address information will be exchanged at order receive.

Order according to the above configuration. Be aware that you have
to return existing headlights of the roadster until that time a deposite of
$ 300 is on hold. The amount will be refunded once the headlights are exchanged.
The entire set is handcrafted in the US. There might be slight differences
from the picture.

List Date: 12/23/2013

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Roadster Headlights in HID LED Upcycled - please order with weblink
--------------------------------------
On Sale For: $1,009.77

buynowbutton.png
--------------------------------------
tesla-motors-club.gif

pGMCqe6JbWhe2.jpg
yyjt3ZZmdRJV2.JPG
fvMeb3xHzH1P2.JPG
R3bKWtQnqs1Q2.jpg

I just had this upgrade installed. They are AWESOME! I plan to keep the parking light on while driving all the time for DRL effect. These things are amazing - and what the Roadster headlights should have been from the factory.

I highly recommend:

IMG_5616.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5618.jpg

IMG_5626.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

Don't mean to be a sour apple, but the upcycle has a flaw. Roadster Halogen headlights have a known uv coating peeling issue. So you trade in your peeling lights and get what back? You trade in your non-peeling headlights and get what back? And you trade in your non-peeling lights and get lights that peel after 20-30 days, then what?

I don't think an upcycle process will work with headlights that have known cosmetic issues.

Best process is to send in your originals and get back your originals. Then if they peel, they were your headlights and the customer doesn't have an issue.

Ok. If someone is concerned about the peeling issue then I would up-cycle their existing headlights. In the mean time I would send a replacement set that could be used
Sorry in this case cannot take over the cost of the shipping for the dual exchange, but if this gives peace in mind then I would do this.

Or the other way we would send you a picture of the set that we want to up-cycle. Recently I bought 1 used demo headlight that has this peeling problem over the internet. It seems that the protection clear coat goes off. There is a possibility to buffer this set. I will take this demo headlight and find out the cost for a buffering.

For us it is important NOT to waste good headlights if you can make more out of it for the 1/2 price.

Last edited:
For the ones are concerned. With the exception of one driver site headlight I have not see any degradation in the clear UV code applied to the headlights.
I drive my roadster since 3 years in AZ and we have a lot of sunlight. My roadster already has 48k miles and we never had an issue with it.

I will check with my local vinyl guy if it makes sense to place a clear vinyl on top of the headlights to avoid any peeling. This would make the headlight a little bit more expensive, but might protect from peeling if anyone is concerned about it. And this will still be only about the 1/2 of the new HID from Tesla.

The agreement what we now have with customer that cannot have a look at the headlights in person is as follows. We will sent them high res pictures of the headlights and give them the option to clear vinyl them as well. Most of the time pictures are enough.
This move all doubts of the pessimists out of the way. The customer exactly will see what he will get.

Do these have DOT certification? If not, who's going to pay for the gigantic repairs/bail/medical $$ that stem from the accident caused having illegal lights installed with non-conforming beam/light levels. Or the car that just sets itself on fire because of wiring/internal temp issues. OEM lights cost a lot because they HAVE to meet specific performance and safety standards. I'm all for recycling but headlights are critical to everyone's safety. These are a really, REALLY bad idea. Be safe...:smile:

Folks, let me address two topics here.
Safety:
As mentioned the w consumption on the headlights are lesser than the standard headlights in both categories. High beam, low bean and parking lights. The LED consumption is 1.8 w. By using the same wiring you are even better protected. Even when one of the main lights fail you still have the other beam and ultra bright daylight running lights as LED. Sure these lights are not certified, because the they would be much more expense, but they are better than the standard and consume less energy. We are doing a lot of testing on these lights in every step of the process.
Peeling:
We will offer an addition clear bra for the headlights that comes with 5y warranty from the manufacturer for additional $ 95. The clear bra has UV protection, but you cannot avoid UV rays. Every car has to suffer from this. So for further 5 years you can exchange film protection anywhere in the US if there is a case for it.

It is really amazing that I got this nice publicity about about the real great headlights.
Some guys do not even have the car in their possession. It is like Elon on the Model S car fire.
What is happening with the pioneer spirit of America? If I would go in war with them then one who should cover me would be worried about the peeling on their scope while I got shot and the other would fix me with industry silicon instead of taking the bullets out of my body. :biggrin:

Let's see this positive if you are are not going a certain risk you would never made it to the moon and never got an electric car.
From experience I drive the roadster since 3 years and 2 1/2 with all different version of 35 W HID and LED headlights.
Never got stopped, never got any malfunction. A real, real good idea is that I saved 30 W every hour with the headlights on.
Building something and create exciting things that are really interesting. It is up to you if you like this product or not. If you are positive then good things happen to your. Negative opinions will turn into the opposite. So consequence is that I will not sell to the pessimists. Just today I got another order from a guy that is the same enthusiastic about it as me. Great things happen to guys who are doing great work.

- - - Updated - - -

My OEM light have never been satisfactory. Even the DLR are brighter than the OEM. Thanks for your positive support.

Last edited:
Do those LED running lights point straight up instead of forward?

As for the coating, buffing off the old stuff and putting on some 3M scratch guard film would be a great service to bring additional new life to these old headlight housings.

Looks great!