Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road imperfection/feedback transmitting through steering wheel and accelerator pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am having some issues with my M3 and need your help identifying cause and possible solutions. My M3 is a little over 10 months with around 5100 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago, I started having very amplified road feel coming through my steering wheel. Before, it was nicely muted. I could feel the road through my seat more than my steering. Now, I am feeling every little detail imperfection of the road through steering wheel and it's VERY VERY annoying. It was not like this before. It is almost like this grainy feeling. My previous cars were BMW 330i, Infiniti Q50, Lexus IS300 so I know what general road feel is but this is way more pronounced and does not feel natural. It's more pronounced at lower speed 5-20mph. At high speed it's not as bad but once you slow down, you can immediately feel it. And no, it's not the lane departure warning. I have that off. I first thought it was a wheel alignment issue but they fixed that and the problem still persists.

I took the car in and SC and they performed the alignment and even did road force test. They found nothing wrong with it. I even had the lead technician road test with me and he said he couldn’t feel what I was feeling. They rebalanced everything and checked the front and rear suspensions. They inspected suspension component torque and steering rack and steering shaft bolts torque and they were all properly torqued. I went in 2 times for this but the problem still persists. Any idea what might be the problem? I have attached files regarding the things they worked on.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0012.jpeg
    IMG_0012.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 59
Hello,

I am having some issues with my M3 and need your help identifying cause and possible solutions. My M3 is a little over 10 months with around 5100 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago, I started having very amplified road feel coming through my steering wheel. Before, it was nicely muted. I could feel the road through my seat more than my steering. Now, I am feeling every little detail imperfection of the road through steering wheel and it's VERY VERY annoying. It was not like this before. It is almost like this grainy feeling. My previous cars were BMW 330i, Infiniti Q50, Lexus IS300 so I know what general road feel is but this is way more pronounced and does not feel natural. It's more pronounced at lower speed 5-20mph. At high speed it's not as bad but once you slow down, you can immediately feel it. And no, it's not the lane departure warning. I have that off. I first thought it was a wheel alignment issue but they fixed that and the problem still persists.

I took the car in and SC and they performed the alignment and even did road force test. They found nothing wrong with it. I even had the lead technician road test with me and he said he couldn’t feel what I was feeling. They rebalanced everything and checked the front and rear suspensions. They inspected suspension component torque and steering rack and steering shaft bolts torque and they were all properly torqued. I went in 2 times for this but the problem still persists. Any idea what might be the problem? I have attached files regarding the things they worked on.
Weird, did you ever get it fixed? You could try test driving another Model 3 and see if it's a real issue in your car?