Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renewing the debate on the best Fridge/Freezer for 6 seater MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ecrsail what charger are you using to charge the lead acid battery? thanks

I am using this charge controller (which is intended to charge from solar while servicing a load):

GHB 20A 12V 24V Solar Charge Controller Auto Switch LCD Intelligent Panel Battery Regulator Charge Controller Overload Protection Temperature Compensation

It economically provides the features I needed (intelligent charging + battery state monitoring). I run the Dometic directly off the external battery (in parallel with the charging current) rather than off the load terminals to avoid confusing the Dometic's battery protection feature. It appears that the instantaneous startup current from the compressor was a little too much for the controller (causing the Dometic shut off), even though the nominal load is within spec.

Thank you!
Does the 12V from Tesla car go into the solar panel input of the charger?

Yes. See pictures below.

I use the CUZEC Heavy-Duty 15A Male Plug to feed 12V power from the Model X rear power adapter. Make sure you pay attention to the polarity (red is positive, black is negative). These are the two terminals on the left under the solar panel icon in the image. When the vehicle is supplying 12V accessory power, the sun is shining. When the vehicle is not, the sun goes away. Cute.

I used 16 gauge wire (red and black) that like any good electrical engineer I already had and then crimped & soldered eyelet terminals to connect the battery to the charge controller. You can find the wire and eyelet terminals at a hardware store if you need them. Again polarity matters.

I use the NOCO GC018 12V Adapter Plug Socket with Eyelet Terminal to provide power to the Dometic. This adapter is connected directly to the battery rather than the load terminals (light bulb icon) on the controller. Polarity matters here too.

Everything is securely connected and fused. As noted previously, I'm using a commonly available sealed 18 Ah lead acid battery to ensure 24+ hours of refrigeration if the vehicle sits powered off. The battery sits in a battery box in the under trunk, and some velcro holds the charge controller either in the under trunk or above the removable floor if I'm on a road trip and want to be able to easily monitor the charging state and battery voltage.

Hope this helps.

CMG Charge Controller.jpeg

12V Accessory Power.jpeg

Battery In Box.jpeg

I cannot see photos of previous post, but I bought this: TAWA Q36
TB2qb48byCYBuNkSnaVXXcMsVXa_!!2271040080.jpg

TB2wBPYfTtYBeNjy1XdXXXXyVXa_!!2271040080.jpg
- 20 degree C min
- 31.6L capacity
- dual bin
- app controllable
- lo-mid-hi adjustable battery protection
- tempered glass top that can be used as arm rest.

So bringing this topic back to life. Instead of Dometic CFX-40 or 35, I actually went with the 28. The 28 is a lot smaller, but I got it for a few reasons.

Here is why

#1 It is slimmer than the 40, which was almost rubbing the seats based on what I saw in the pictures. With the way I drive, it would not be difficult for me to start rocking it back and forth. I also was unsure of the fit if I were to put a case on it, that's why I opted for the 28 with a cover to prevent rubbing.
#2 I use my car as a dog carrier, having the unit inside the car would actually prevent my dog from enjoying the car. Therefore I will leave this in the trunk most of the time, the 40 is too big for the trunk where the 28 is nearly perfect.
#3 With the trunk cover in the low flat position (not the high flat position), the 28 can sit perfectly flat in the trunk with the rear sill act as a cradle. The 40 might fit inside, but I don't think you will be able to open the lid without tilting it. The 28 can open its lid with slight rubbing at the very top, but you shouldn't have to tilt it. The unit will fit without the trunk cover in place, but the unit will be tilted since the floor isn't flat and I would rather have it flat. Yes it sucks to lose the trunk space, but it is what it is. Also the trunk cover will hit the fridge in the open position since it is tilted into the trunk space. The fridge will wedge it against the seats.
#4 As an added bonus, I was able to squeeze a collapsible bin right next to the fridge in the trunk. It will come in handy in organizing the trunk.

Cons of the 28
#1 The unit sits maybe 2" too low as an armrest, I think the 40" is probably the ideal height if you want to use it as an armrest.
#2 It looks small for Costco frozen food run
#3 The unit is lighter, I can see it moving under heavy braking if you were to put this inside the car. I would probably get some sort of safety strap and tie it to the seat post

I will start running this this week, let's see the performance on it. It's about 90F here

Reactions: aesculus
So bringing this topic back to life. Instead of Dometic CFX-40 or 35, I actually went with the 28. The 28 is a lot smaller, but I got it for a few reasons.
Thanks for this set of observations. You have expressed a lot of my worries in this report.

Did you get the Dometic insulated cover for the 28 and if so how does it fit between the seats?

I took my S for a 2100 mile trip up around Colorado with the ARB 50 qt fridge plugged in all week and loved it. Plugged in all week with the 12V jumper mod done and it fit perfect with a few camera bags, a table and 2 chairs. I know not an X but road tripping with a fridge is so much better. Normally I camp in the jeep in remote areas and have the fridge mounted over my stove that slides out but this worked out well.
IMG_2119.jpg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA

Here is why

#1 It is slimmer than the 40, which was almost rubbing the seats based on what I saw in the pictures. With the way I drive, it would not be difficult for me to start rocking it back and forth. I also was unsure of the fit if I were to put a case on it, that's why I opted for the 28 with a cover to prevent rubbing.
#2 I use my car as a dog carrier, having the unit inside the car would actually prevent my dog from enjoying the car. Therefore I will leave this in the trunk most of the time, the 40 is too big for the trunk where the 28 is nearly perfect.
#3 With the trunk cover in the low flat position (not the high flat position), the 28 can sit perfectly flat in the trunk with the rear sill act as a cradle. The 40 might fit inside, but I don't think you will be able to open the lid without tilting it. The 28 can open its lid with slight rubbing at the very top, but you shouldn't have to tilt it. The unit will fit without the trunk cover in place, but the unit will be tilted since the floor isn't flat and I would rather have it flat. Yes it sucks to lose the trunk space, but it is what it is. Also the trunk cover will hit the fridge in the open position since it is tilted into the trunk space. The fridge will wedge it against the seats.
#4 As an added bonus, I was able to squeeze a collapsible bin right next to the fridge in the trunk. It will come in handy in organizing the trunk.

Cons of the 28
#1 The unit sits maybe 2" too low as an armrest, I think the 40" is probably the ideal height if you want to use it as an armrest.
#2 It looks small for Costco frozen food run
#3 The unit is lighter, I can see it moving under heavy braking if you were to put this inside the car. I would probably get some sort of safety strap and tie it to the seat post

I will start running this this week, let's see the performance on it. It's about 90F here

I have the Demetic 40 and just took it on a 3,200-mile road trip. It fits in the back of the S without any contact issues. In fact, it can be slid forward and back in the trunk (with considerable effort) about 10 inches. I have the all-weather mat in my hatch area, so there is no way the cooler will be able to slide on its own due to aggressive driving. It's a very heavy cooler and with the rubber mat the friction is extremely high. The lid will just barely stay up and open on its own if you raise the hatch and pull the cooler all the way to the rear of the car. This allows easy access to the cooler contents when parked. Of course, the hatch shelf/cover must be removed in order to open the cooler. We had a lot of luggage on our trip, so I left the hatch shelf at home.

Routing 12V power to the rear is a pain as it must travel through the entire passenger compartment. A 12V outlet in the trunk should be high on Tesla's list of features to add to the S. The X has an outlet and it is so convenient.

Yes. See pictures below.

I use the CUZEC Heavy-Duty 15A Male Plug to feed 12V power from the Model X rear power adapter. Make sure you pay attention to the polarity (red is positive, black is negative). These are the two terminals on the left under the solar panel icon in the image. When the vehicle is supplying 12V accessory power, the sun is shining. When the vehicle is not, the sun goes away. Cute.

I used 16 gauge wire (red and black) that like any good electrical engineer I already had and then crimped & soldered eyelet terminals to connect the battery to the charge controller. You can find the wire and eyelet terminals at a hardware store if you need them. Again polarity matters.

I use the NOCO GC018 12V Adapter Plug Socket with Eyelet Terminal to provide power to the Dometic. This adapter is connected directly to the battery rather than the load terminals (light bulb icon) on the controller. Polarity matters here too.

Everything is securely connected and fused. As noted previously, I'm using a commonly available sealed 18 Ah lead acid battery to ensure 24+ hours of refrigeration if the vehicle sits powered off. The battery sits in a battery box in the under trunk, and some velcro holds the charge controller either in the under trunk or above the removable floor if I'm on a road trip and want to be able to easily monitor the charging state and battery voltage.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 313144
View attachment 313150
View attachment 313149

What limits the power draw from the car (2.6A in your picture)? Does the charge controller limit the charge rate? Solar panels have a finite amount of power they can provide, but with a direct connection to the car's 12V outlet I'm wondering what prevents blown 12V outlet circuit fuses.

Thanks for this set of observations. You have expressed a lot of my worries in this report.

Did you get the Dometic insulated cover for the 28 and if so how does it fit between the seats?

I got the cover on. Everything fits fine. It fits between the seat and on one side of the trunk. Closing the trunk lid will make it very tight, but my plastic is scratched anyway so it doesn’t really matter to me. The insulation cover is nice except I don’t like how you have to un Velcro the top before you can open the lid. It would be nicer if you can do both together.

The only problem I am still trying to figure out is how to make the rear 12v a permanent plug. Right now I think it stops giving power a few minutes after shutting off car. I am not sure how well the unit likes to be turned on and off multiple times a day!

Attachments

• 4680A5EA-82B7-4084-B98A-9B030FCF6C25.jpeg
    4680A5EA-82B7-4084-B98A-9B030FCF6C25.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Informative
I have a 35 with the insulation and it fits fine in my 6 seat X. Just got back from a 5 day trip and it worked excellent. Just plugged it into the rear aux (cig) plug. It cools pretty darn quick.
I am worried about the 35 crushing the seat sides. That was one reason to go with the 28 and cover.

So you don't think there is an issue with the cover and the 35 crushing the seat sides? That's over 2" more than the 28.

I am worried about the 35 crushing the seat sides. That was one reason to go with the 28 and cover.

So you don't think there is an issue with the cover and the 35 crushing the seat sides? That's over 2" more than the 28.

Remember that the 6 seater 2nd row seats are goofy anyway in that they did NOT redesign them from the 7 seaters! They are pushed up against the outside of the X with bigger peoples shoulder touching AND the inside edge of the seats are STRAIGHT like they just 'cut' out the middle seat.

32uKwvA.jpg

GSn3JiK.jpg

• Informative