Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing dried latex paint from vegan leather: Castile soap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting here for anyone else who needs to remove latex paint (or maybe caulk) from the seats.

I somehow managed to get some latex paint (or maybe caulk) on my drivers seat (musta been on my pants). I wasn't sure how to clean it, so left it there for a week until I happened to have the car in for service. I thought I'd check with the service staff to see if they knew a safe way to get the paint off.

He said oh, sure, and went to get a canister of wipes. He said they were alcohol wipes, and proceeded to scrub away at the paint. The paint came off, but the texture on the vegan leather came off too! Fortunately he only did one spot of 3 that were on there. I now have an appointment to try to get them to replace the seat cushion.

Anyway, after I got home, I searched the internet, and also the Tesla manual on cleaning the interior. The internet says maybe soap and water, maybe steam. The manual says a non-detergent soap and to DEFINITELY not use alcohol (how is it that the Tesla service folks didn't know better?).

I got some Dr. Bronner's castile soap, and applied it full strength to a microfiber towel and wiped the paint spots. A bit of rubbing and it came off. Rinsed with water, and it is like new. I just wish I hadn't asked the Tesla folks to "help" me.

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_5090.jpeg
    IMG_5090.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: PEDSDO