Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen not kicking in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, for the past few weeks I noticed that the 3 is not slowing down like it used to and keeps rolling and even gains speed on a downhill ramp like an ice in neutral! I checked the settings and no change -standard regen. Tried rebooting, no change. Any suggestions? BTW, just got 48.12.1 and was hoping it will solve, but no go. Thanks in advance.

cold temps will cause the car to limit regen. if cold enough, it will disable it completely. A cold-soaked car below 20F will likely not have any regen. You can use the regen bar to see how much is available. If you see a dotted line, that is the portion that is disabled. If the dotted line reaches the center of the regen bar, then you have no regen available.

This can also happen if you charge to 100%. can't regen if the battery can't hold more charge.

Had similar issue after rotating my tires but it fixed itself after driving 30miles. No longer experiencing it. 80 degree weather when this happens and was around 50% battery. Car held 70mph without pressing the accelerator paddle. No regren at all.

Hi all, for the past few weeks I noticed that the 3 is not slowing down like it used to and keeps rolling and even gains speed on a downhill ramp like an ice in neutral! I checked the settings and no change -standard regen. Tried rebooting, no change. Any suggestions? BTW, just got 48.12.1 and was hoping it will solve, but no go. Thanks in advance.

You said you tried rebooting, but have your tried toggle regen from standard to low back to standard?

What is your daily State of Charge before you start also? If its fully charged or near full your gonna have limited regen. perhaps.

I cannot speak for 3, but in my S if the battery is fully charged or near full you must drive many miles before full regen. kicks in.

It takes a while to realize this also, but not long before you realize your not stopping as quickly as you like, lets say on a trip after being at the supercharger and its full.

I don't use my brakes until the last few MPH as a habit, you instantly know there is something up here until you figure that out. Conversely if your battery is all the way down at some point limited acceleration and messages are apparent. The answer is contained in the weather above and the current SOC.