Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear fog light review / install tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got rear fog lights to replace the reflectors on my LR AWD 2022, here are the ones I got:

I bought the plug and play smoked (Smoked lens B)

The install was straightforward-ish but was more work than I had imagined when I started. There are a few ways you can go about it but I decided to partially remove the rear bumper so that I could snake my arm down more carefully guide the wire. Notes / tips for installing:

- Do not use any plastic pry tools to pop out the reflectors. This will not only break the tabs of the reflectors but very likely dent the paint where you are leveraging against. This is a large reason I removed the bumper to squeeze the reflectors tabs to release. This is not easy to do but worth it.

- When removing the wheel well protector there are 3 expanding push connecters, 2 twist on screw type, and one T25, find them all, watch videos.

- To run the wire into the hole where to existing tail light goes, I added a little tape to soften the edge since the new wire will be pushed between the metal and the gasket.

- when removing the tail lights push type connector, you do not need pry tools as these will damage the car. Remove the two nuts and top plastic nut, then pull/twist towards the center of the car to release the final pressure connectors.

Here is not great photo of them installed with the car off. I can upload more if anyone wants to see them.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 11.50.37 AM.png

I recently got rear fog lights to replace the reflectors on my LR AWD 2022, here are the ones I got:

I bought the plug and play smoked (Smoked lens B)

The install was straightforward-ish but was more work than I had imagined when I started. There are a few ways you can go about it but I decided to partially remove the rear bumper so that I could snake my arm down more carefully guide the wire. Notes / tips for installing:

- Do not use any plastic pry tools to pop out the reflectors. This will not only break the tabs of the reflectors but very likely dent the paint where you are leveraging against. This is a large reason I removed the bumper to squeeze the reflectors tabs to release. This is not easy to do but worth it.

- When removing the wheel well protector there are 3 expanding push connecters, 2 twist on screw type, and one T25, find them all, watch videos.

- To run the wire into the hole where to existing tail light goes, I added a little tape to soften the edge since the new wire will be pushed between the metal and the gasket.

- when removing the tail lights push type connector, you do not need pry tools as these will damage the car. Remove the two nuts and top plastic nut, then pull/twist towards the center of the car to release the final pressure connectors.

Here is not great photo of them installed with the car off. I can upload more if anyone wants to see them.

View attachment 944422
Just out of curiosity, what purpose would rear fog lights serve?

Reactions: fholbert
Just out of curiosity, what purpose would rear fog lights serve?
In Europe they've been a mandatory fitment for the past 40 years or so, In the UK they should be used when fog, snow or rain reduces visibility below 100m. Although (pre-LED) they're the same wattage (21w) as brake lights the beam is tighter.

Effectively they extend the distance at which you can see a vehicle in front when visibility is very bad.

But they have to be fixed, not sequential.

a4vsqmy3tn451.jpg

This photo on Reddit shows an early UK model 3 with a single rear fog. I believe that newer cars may have dual ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeanTT
In Europe they've been a mandatory fitment for the past 40 years or so, In the UK they should be used when fog, snow or rain reduces visibility below 100m. Although (pre-LED) they're the same wattage (21w) as brake lights the beam is tighter.

Effectively they extend the distance at which you can see a vehicle in front when visibility is very bad.

But they have to be fixed, not sequential.

a4vsqmy3tn451.jpg

This photo on Reddit shows an early UK model 3 with a single rear fog. I believe that newer cars may have dual ones.
I don’t believe dual is allowed, to not be confused with other lights. I also believe it is in the drivers side (toward the center of the road).

Various states in the US May have different rules as there is no national requirement.

I don’t believe dual is allowed, to not be confused with other lights. I also believe it is in the drivers side (toward the center of the road).

Various states in the US May have different rules as there is no national requirement.
Dual are allowed but not mandatory. Nissan tend to use a single light centrally mounted under the rear bumper. If there is a single light it must be between the centre and the driver's side edge. Dual should be symmetric but separated from the brake lights. Personally I prefer dual as it gives me a better idea of the size of the vehicle in front than a single light would do.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and SeanTT
I watched the install video from here on these lights and I wouldn't describe them as "Foglights" but maybe that's just me.. They are more like brake lights / turn signal lights to me.. Look pretty cool..
Agreed. We used to call them "driving lights." Both my old Subaru and Audi had them and on my motorcycles, I have installed signals that are also brake and driving lights. Personally, the more lights the better.