Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

real world all models 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
very reluctantly, I contribute to this discussion to share that looking back at the MT article I noticed that they took pictures of two Model Ss. The blue one clearly has the pano, but the red one does not. Hard to tell at first because there is no interior shot looking up at the headliner like in the blue one, but the dash representation of the car clearly shows a red colored roof.

I suggest that the car that MT tested out at 10.9 might have been the red one which could have been a little lighter that the most (all?) of the cars that have reported times on this forum since most people springing for the P90DL will also get the pano and UHF and dual charger etc.

It's also the one that had the GPS antenna on the roof above the passenger window.

Reactions: bhzmark
The options things is more bull****. Oh don't get dual chargers if you want to get a 10.9! The car weighs almost 5000 lbs. What does the charger weigh? 35lbs, max? Probably less. I'm sure next we'll hear to make sure to use a laxative before heading to the dragstrip, or you won't get 10.9. All "professional" drivers use colon-blow before their runs.

I had to "like" every one of your posts this morning. AWDtsla on a tear this morning!!!

Reactions: beantobe
Or tail wind. That's why you have to throw out the fastest times and the slowest times. A single test doesn't really count unless you test it in both directions back to back and average the two.At some point, there's going going to be a 30 MPH tail wind that's going to get an 11.0.

See my remarks about C&D using the average of two times in two directions to arrive at 11.1 and the fact that someone has duplicated their 11.1 run average at Thompson.

C&D either ran two straight 11.1s or one run better than 11.1 and the other worse than 11.1.

Only way to avg 11.1 with two runs.

11.1 has been done by an owner. Next up is 11.0xx.

Anyway, you asked for the link. Here you go.

Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

Last edited:
P85DEE

You keep forgetting about the MPH of 121 an 122.
This more than anything shows that the cars tested by car and driver and motor trend must have had more power.
I believe or hope that with time new updates will slowly increase the mph and we will see 10.9.
The 11.15 et was only at 116 mph.
This is not the same car as what the mags had period.

Last edited:
I'm not forgetting it.

I don't mention it much because Tesla themselves, at least to my knowledge, never quoted a trap speed.

But no, I'm not forgetting it.

Typically a 10 second pass requires a sub 7 second 1/8 mile and an 1/8 mile trap speed of just over 100mph.

But this car apparently changes the rules a bit.

I have to think long and hard to recall so many mid to low 11 second quarter mile times with sub 120mph trap speeds.

I didn't see as much of that until I started looking at Tesla P85D and P90D quarter mile times.

So to me that's odd too.

However more to your points about the trap speeds, and I think this is overlooked.

The speeds the rags are measuring are with GPS.

Drag strip trap speeds are measured over the last 66ft.

Or better put an area starting 66ft before the finish line.

If you ever look at your speedometer going through the traps, it almost always reads higher than the trap speed on your time slip.

This is the reason why I don't think that anyone is ever going to see a 123 mph "trap speed".

Because "trap speed" isn't what the rags were measuring.

However the time slips we have, do measure that speed in the traps.

So the velocity is measured one way by the rags and another way at the track. The rags look at the speed that the car was traveling when it covered a quarter mile of distance.

The track measures the speed that the car was traveling 66ft in front of the finish line, to the finish line.

I know that you and many of the others here are familiar with a drag strip layout.

But for the benefit of those who may be unfamiliar with what I'm talking about this links to a diagram.

It's that last 66ft where trap speed is measured.

And the average speed that the car was traveling between those two points is what is on the time slip.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/PHOTOS/Dragquar.jpg

A final point. The fastest trap speed that we have from the link I gave to Sorka is 118.95 mph.

The motor Trend GPS speed was 122.7 mph.

The difference is 3.75 mph. If you do a little research, you'll find that a difference like this is not unheard of.

Last edited:
Lola is correct. before D the cars were faster than Tesla published + had more HP and torque even
- P85 said 4.4s 0-60 early in 2013 - (changed to 4.2 sometime shortly after) which is higher than the ~4.0 that anyone can get with the correct everything (temps, traction, SOC etc.)

I can also verify this was the case with my P85+, and two other P models of friends.

See my remarks about C&D using the average of two times in two directions to arrive at 11.1 and the fact that someone has duplicated their 11.1 run average at Thompson.

C&D either ran two straight 11.1s or one run better than 11.1 and the other worse than 11.1.

Only way to avg 11.1 with two runs.

11.1 has been done by an owner. Next up is 11.0xx.

Anyway, you asked for the link. Here you go.

Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

Since they're reporting 121+ MPH at the exit it can only mean they're using ICE correction factors. Exit speeds vary little by launch conditions and are more tied to total horsepower. They either corrected for ICE or Tesla gave them a ringer.

That's what I get for not reading all the new posts before responding :)

See my post responding to his regarding the trap speeds.

You really should read the whole thread.

Drag strip trap or drag strip "exit speeds" were not what they were measuring.

Back at post #253 I posted a link to Motor Trend's testing procedures.

Since they're reporting 121+ MPH at the exit it can only mean they're using ICE correction factors. Exit speeds vary little by launch conditions and are more tied to total horsepower. They either corrected for ICE or Tesla gave them a ringer.

Let me make sure that I follow you.

Are you saying that a drag strip trap speed, the average speed over the last 66ft of a drag strip, should be exactly the same as the exact speed measured after a car has traveled a quarter mile of distance?

Last edited:
If you're going to publish a time that only one car has managed to turn, why not pick this car:

2016 Tesla P90D | MotorWeek

P90DL = 12.4 secs

I only scanned the article, but I didn't see anything in there about state of charge, tire pressures, water boxes, or much of anything else.

Makes me wonder if the car was even in Ludicrous mode.

Also and not to offend anyone here or make light of anyone's abilities should that owner be in here on this forum, but I also wonder if they're new to the drag strip and actually ran the car with immediate 100% accelerator pedal and kept it there.

Forgive me as I have guest this holiday weekend and am trying not to be a bad host and I'm doing my responses on the DL using my phone.

You can only go to the bathroom so many times before it raises eyebrows.

Especially if you're serving food that you yourself cooked.

It looks bad.

But in my response to Sorka I should have been more clear in describing trap speed.

Think of it much like VASCAR, whereby the time it takes for you to travel from one point to another is measured and your speed calculated.

Trap speed works the same way. The time it takes for you to trip the first beam 66ft away from the finish line to the beam at the finish is used to determine your speed through the traps.

The options things is more bull****. Oh don't get dual chargers if you want to get a 10.9! The car weighs almost 5000 lbs. What does the charger weigh? 35lbs, max? Probably less. I'm sure next we'll hear to make sure to use a laxative before heading to the dragstrip, or you won't get 10.9. All "professional" drivers use colon-blow before their runs.

The weight of the car obviously affects performance. Small but significant weight changes yield small but significant changes in performance. Unless you don't believe in basic physics.

For a normal 3000 pound cars, 100 lbs would equal about .1 in 1/4 time For a 5000 car it will be less, but still significant. Especially pano and heavy subwoofer and amps in uhf.

See http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2581507-1-4-mile-weight-tests.html

"I went from an 11.39 to an 11.54 after adding roughly 47 pounds, same track, same day (though it was roughly 30 minutes later in the day) and with a very similar staging technique. I had been concerned that the weight gain wouldn't be quite enough but it actually slowed me down a little bit more than I'd wanted. "

Last edited:
i did not realize that there could such a difference using trap speed vs gps.
Motor trend needs to test a customer car and that would put an end to all of this.
If I was Teasla I would not allow one day to go by without explaining how to achieve the 10.9.
They only have themselves to blame for this.

i did not realize that there could such a difference using trap speed vs gps.
Motor trend needs to test a customer car and that would put an end to all of this.
If I was Teasla I would not allow one day to go by without explaining how to achieve the 10.9.
They only have themselves to blame for this.

Yes, the GPS methods using the satellites and used by some of the magazines are measuring the amount of time it takes to travel a distance, in this case 1320ft, and using that to determine a speed.

The trap speed, or speed through the traps at a drag strip, is a measure of the speed of the car as it traveled between one point 66ft before the finish line, to another point 66ft away, the finish line.

This would explain why people are not seeing 121 and 122.7 mph "trap speeds". Motor Trend and C&D weren't seeing a 121 and 122.7 mph drag strip trap speeds either, as that's not what they were measuring.

I could be wrong, but with regard to Tesla having only themselves to blame, I don't see how they would be too worried about it.

They have one of the most respected automotive periodicals in the world, Motor Trend, backing up their claim of 10.9. Motor Trend's integrity is probably not likely to come into question among most.

They also know that people are going to reason:

If they were going to give Motor Trend a "ringer", well then why didn't Car and Driver get a "ringer" too? Or the same ringer. Wouldn't it have looked better if they had also gotten a 10.9?

What would be their motivation for building "ringers" to be tested by magazines, but selling customers lesser performing cars? What would there be to gain? Why not sell customers "ringers" too?

They could always deny them warranty coverage if they busted something at the track or during abusive maneuvers. Same as they can now.

Someone has matched the C&D 11.1 time.

Tesla knows that 10.9 is a lofty spec for any amateur, weekender, or drag strip novice to hit.

Private owners are clearly closing in on the spec.

Finally they must know that rumors of providing "ringers" for testing, have hounded other auto manufacturers in the past, and those other manufacturers got through it. So will they.

So no, I don't think that Tesla has much to fear at this point, but then I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Tesla knows that 10.9 is a lofty spec for any amateur, weekender, or drag strip novice to hit.
If Motortrend has some professional technique to get the lowest time, they should have gotten a 10.7, and everyone else should get around 10.9. Of course the entire line of reasoning is BS because the car is basically point and shoot. There's nothing for the driver to do other than to ensure things like SoC and the right driving mode.

Private owners are clearly closing in on the spec.

No they are not, as I've explained repeatedly. Owners get very consistent times in their cars.

If Motortrend has some professional technique to get the lowest time, they should have gotten a 10.7, and everyone else should get around 10.9. Of course the entire line of reasoning is BS because the car is basically point and shoot. There's nothing for the driver to do other than to ensure things like SoC and the right driving mode.

No they are not, as I've explained repeatedly. Owners get very consistent times in their cars.

If the car is so simple to extract the best times from, and all one has to do is charge it up, set it for Ludicrous, "point it and shoot it", well then how did this guy end up running 12.4?

A lot has to go right for 10.9 to happen.

Private owners are closing in on the spec, whether or not you want to admit it, and one would have to be blind not to see the multiple 11.2 second times recorded thus far, the 11.1516 second time done at Thompson and which I might add is just .1517 seconds off of the highest 10.9.

We have to remember that when something is difficult to achieve, well, just because I can't do it, and do it as easily as I think I ought to be able to do it, doesn't mean that it can't be done.

Last edited:
If the car is so simple to extract the best times from, then how did this guy end up running 12.4?

Private owners are closing in on the spec, whether or not you want to admit it, and one would have to be blind not to see the multiple 11.2 second times recorded thus far, the 11.1516 second time done at Thompson and which I might add is just .1517 seconds off of the highest 10.9.

We have to remember that when something is difficult to achieve, well, just because I can't do it, and do it as easily as I think I ought to be able to do it, doesn't mean that it can't be done.

They ran around 20% SoC.