Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questionable Slacker Songs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
So I often times question if Slacker playlists are really done by a human.

For about 3 months it would play a terrible remix of Sail by AWOLNATION instead of the actual song.

But today I got photo proof of a highly questionable song selection.

WP_20130905_002.jpg

Frank Zappa doesn't really convey Miley Cyrus to me at all.

So I often times question if Slacker playlists are really done by a human.

For about 3 months it would play a terrible remix of Sail by AWOLNATION instead of the actual song.

But today I got photo proof of a highly questionable song selection.

Frank Zappa doesn't really convey Miley Cyrus to me at all.

That is sad. Well, I guess if it were Billy Ray Cyrus that would be a bigger issue :biggrin:

Their matching algorithm is really really bad. Start with almost any artist from the 70s or 80s and you will eventually get the Steve Miller Band. Another example, I used the Jayhawks as a seed for both Slacker and Pandora. Slacker gives me an utterly weird, all over the map mix and Pandora gives me basically Alt Country (which is pretty much what they are). Start slacker with a female artist and you get mostly female artists - genre be damned...

Tesla, please hear me, I want Pandora!

x1000 I have no clue why they don't use Pandora.

Sometimes working with the 1000 lb. gorilla is far more difficult than working with the 100 lb. gorilla. My guess? Slacker figured they needed Tesla like Tesla needed Slacker, and Pandora figured they didn't need Tesla and offered them a far less lucrative deal (for example, refused the 'play song on demand' desire).

Last edited:
What genre is Frank Zappa anyway? I love Slacker. However, I do use the fast forward to change songs quite often. I suppose that use of fast forward would be even more frequent on the Frank Zappa Channel. Maybe you should try the Spike Lee Channel.

LOL! I have also asked it to play Sail several times, forgetting that it only plays the horrible remix.

I sent an email to Slacker on that one. Not sure if it did anything, but the real song plays now.

Tap the circle-with-angled-strikethrough icon to banish the fail songs forever.

That wouldn't work because it is titled exactly the same. So you would banish the real song as well.

That wouldn't work because it is titled exactly the same. So you would banish the real song as well.

I've found this not to be the case.

When I do the "thumbs-up" on a song, it only seems to do it on one version. For example, "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis seems to have 3 different versions on Slacker, all titled the same, same album and everything. One is the censored version and two standard versions are different. I did a "thumbs-up" on one, only to find the next time it played, it didn't have the blue icon. Then, when the censored version played, it did the same. So I think you're safe with thumbs-downing one version.

When I do the "thumbs-up" on a song, it only seems to do it on one version. For example, "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis seems to have 3 different versions on Slacker, all titled the same, same album and everything. One is the censored version and two standard versions are different. I did a "thumbs-up" on one, only to find the next time it played, it didn't have the blue icon. Then, when the censored version played, it did the same. So I think you're safe with thumbs-downing one version.

I certainly hope that's the case (matching on song ID, not textual name) as there are lots of completely different songs with the same name. If not so, Slacker would be even worse than my current perception.

Another slacker FAIL is a lot of songs end prematurely. At first I though it was a playback bug induced by a poor connection but in a number of cases, slacker's track actually ends before the song is over. This could be decoder bugs or something else but in at least a few cases, they appear to have rather ham-handedly just chopped the song. No fade, no transition, just WHACK! end of song. Concert tracks where the artist segues into the next song without a pause are examples of this. My biggest gripe is a studio recording by Jackson Browne of The Loadout (aka The Roadies' Song) where it's two songs melded together. At the end of the Roadie Song he weaves into Stay ("Oh won't you sta-a-ay, just a little bit longer") but they chop it off, just before the first refrain. This is pure cognitive dissonance and I'm in a foul mood for about a half hour after that.

I paid top dollar to have the best car on the road, I'd like to have the best internet music app, too.