Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q2 Collections - new owners thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We also went with ALA and took the 4-year "Vehicle Replacement Plus GAP" policy. Cost was £352.50.

[Awaiting comments telling me that we were bamboozled....]
Thanks! well my one is a lease so i have only been given this option "Contract Hire Plus GAP" so maybe this is the difference? I was a bit surprised of the quote too. What is the max £? mine is £30k.

Thanks! well my one is a lease so i have only been given this option "Contract Hire Plus GAP" so maybe this is the difference? I was a bit surprised of the quote too. What is the max £? mine is £30k.
Leasing probably does alter the available options. Our max is £50,000 and, as I understand it in the event of a write-off of the car they will cover the top up over the underlying insurance payout to purchase a same-spec new replacement for the term of the insurance. We tend to keep our cars for many years and it seemed a reasonable cost. Obviously we hope never to need it!

Reactions: Wattsisname
Hi All, Hope you are all enjoying your cars. I got delivery of our on Saturday and i am looking for every excuse to drive it :)
Quick question, did anyone of you set up a GAP insurance and if so wih whom? We are in the UK and i got a qoute from ALA for £178 for 3 years for lease cover GAP.
TIA
Also ALA Vehicle Replacement (original Invoice price not current price as I understand it) plus GAP which is for shortfall indemnity against payment of outstanding finance.

I did not need the GAP really but had to have it to get the Vehicle Replacement cover. £400 for 3 years. It's got to be worth it because current market values (which insurers work with seem to have no relationship with the actual prices being achieved in the used/nearly new market for Teslas. Consequently, cover up to the original invoice value will help towards buying a new replacement vehicle.

Let's hope that we do not suffer a write off and we therefore will have "wasted" our dosh. That is pretty much the definition of insurance:).

Ideally, would be a 3 year new for old policy but they are hens' teeth rare and can be expensive.

Be safe.

I have cover to a maximum of 50K. I can't remember if I chose that figure or that's what was offered in the quote. This level is hardly likely to be required for either an indemnity claim or the replacement to original invoice level cover. We can expect our insurers to make a half decent write off payout even if "computer says no".

Best of all possible worlds: we don't have a serious accident.

Be safe all.

I also hope that none us will need to put it to the test.
Agreed.
My experience of claiming on gap with ALA was straight fwd.

You send them a copy of the insurance payout and the vehicle invoice and they pay the difference almost immediately.

Compared to what you will have been through by this point (original incident & haggling with your main insurer) it’s welcome relief at the end of the process.

Also ALA Vehicle Replacement (original Invoice price not current price as I understand it) plus GAP which is for shortfall indemnity against payment of outstanding finance.
I just re-read the policy terms and I'm pretty sure "Vehicle Replacement" does cover the cost of a new replacement at the time of claim (subject to the £50K maximum payment). I very likely could be wrong but it was one of the things that made the policy particularly of interest to me.

I have cover to a maximum of 50K. I can't remember if I chose that figure or that's what was offered in the quote.
I was not given any choice. £50K seemed to be their standard cap.

I don't believe we have been bamboozled but I also hope that none us will need to put it to the test.

A very good price for 4 years.
I very much hope it is never needed for any of us! Regarding the price I believe there was a discount coupon or similar that I found on one of the money saving forums.

You are a star! I have ordered one (the AMD Ryzen version). Thanks so much!

Edit: I suspect, for me, it will be more like a 30-45 minute install but it does look fairly idiot-proof (important in my case).
The USB data module arrived this morning. I took it slowly installing it so as not to scratch or mar anything. Works perfectly. If I can do the install anyone can.

The USB data module arrived this morning. I took it slowly installing it so as not to scratch or mar anything. Works perfectly. If I can do the install anyone can.
Thanks for the update.
After you questioned about this and then ordered - I did the same. Without you enquiring this one would have passed me by.

Mine arrived today (along with a few other Ali Ex delights), but it’s still 2 weeks before I collect the car…
Onto the mountain of accessories it goes!
😂

Congratulations guys. Now, what have you bought?
It’s the usb data module that was discussed earlier in this thread. Allows the centre console usb-c ports to support a game controller or play music from a usb stick.

Otherwise you have to use the port in the glovebox, which is used for sentry and you would have to partition the drive for music, etc.

Cost £60 delivered. Maybe not worth it for all, but I’m hoarding accessories and it’s not the most useless thing ive bought.

It’s the usb data module that was discussed earlier in this thread. Allows the centre console usb-c ports to support a game controller or play music from a usb stick.

Otherwise you have to use the port in the glovebox, which is used for sentry and you would have to partition the drive for music, etc.

Cost £60 delivered. Maybe not worth it for all, but I’m hoarding accessories and it’s not the most useless thing ive bought.
I see there is an Ali link for this, has anyone a link for direct delivery in the UK, amazon and the like?

Great to see your September 24 EDD holding firm. Into our third month of Lizzie and still loving every minute. The days of rain seem to have broken my obsession with snow foam......

Now then...SWMBO says " No it's not two weeks! You washed her six days ago. It is however, two weeks since you washed my car!"

Great to see your September 24 EDD holding firm. Into our third month of Lizzie and still loving every minute. The days of rain seem to have broken my obsession with snow foam......

Now then...SWMBO says " No it's not two weeks! You washed her six days ago. It is however, two weeks since you washed my car!"
Cheers - yes I’ve got the collection date booked for 24-Sep.
I did start opening accessories boxes and wondering what it was for 🤣
I’ve got the snow foam lance at the ready - can’t bring myself to use it before the Tesla arrives.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I’ve got the snow foam lance at the ready - can’t bring myself to use it before the Tesla arrives.
Excellent! Neither did I😀.
SWMBO wonders if you have to be a little nutty to want a Tesla or does the experience of wanting then ordering and the eventual ownership tilt the balance of our otherwise rational minds.
All I know is, she is as comfortable as a padded cell......so they say.

Evening all.

Reactions: Toblerone
Excellent! Neither did I😀.
SWMBO wonders if you have to be a little nutty to want a Tesla or does the experience of wanting then ordering and the eventual ownership tilt the balance of our otherwise rational minds.
All I know is, she is as comfortable as a padded cell......so they say.

Evening all.
A coin in the box of “tilt the balance”…

Since taking delivery of “Barry” in late June, SWMBO found she loves driving the Y so much that “her” vehicle hasn’t done more than 10 miles in as many weeks.

This is completely unexpected, and she has amazed herself.

I myself am desperately unhappy about the situation as getting the dropped chocolate fragments from her frantic in-car mastication off the vegan leather driver seat is becoming a real chore…