Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q2 2016 P100D is a unique car in history - "quadfecta"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget it has the now-extinct ventilated seats!

...and possibly a now-extinct interior configuration!

I saved for years and had a list of capabilities I was looking for. I think my timing was perfect except for having to pay the $500 to change to a glass-roof that came out mid-order. If you can afford it (or mostly afford it :D) then you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: DIL and calisnow
It will go down as the only car to:

-Exceed 300 mile range
-Come with unlimited lifetime fuel.
-Be completely self driving (under some circumstances)
-Be one of the quickest and fastest cars in the world.

It was a unique car. There are still a few available. Should I? The kids I don't have yet don't need a college fund - right?

The "only" car??? Hardly. First, yes. First EV to exceed 300 miles, but soon there will be others, including the Model 3; unlimited lifetime fuel, unless you plug in at home, as most folks do most of the time; it's not completely self-driving: it requires you to be present and alert at all times, though soon there will be autonomous cars, so it won't go down as the only, merely the first to do what it does. It probably will remain one of the quickest cars in the world, but will likely be surpassed when Tesla builds the Roadster Mk II.

Should you buy one? If you can afford it, definitely! It will be an amazing car. I'd strongly advise anyone never to borrow money to buy a fancy car, though. If you need a car and have to borrow to get one, get a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. Debt is a killer and should be used only for absolute necessities like a home or basic transportation.

I'd strongly advise anyone never to borrow money to buy a fancy car, though. If you need a car and have to borrow to get one, get a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. Debt is a killer and should be used only for absolute necessities like a home or basic transportation.
Why do so many people give this advice when it's such nonsense?
Are you really telling me I should withdraw 160k from my investment account that's earning an average of 4-5%
Rather than borrow money at 1.99-2.5%

No offense but people who give financial advice to others without knowing those people piss me off.

The "only" car??? Hardly. First, yes. First EV to exceed 300 miles, but soon there will be others, including the Model 3; unlimited lifetime fuel, unless you plug in at home, as most folks do most of the time; it's not completely self-driving: it requires you to be present and alert at all times, though soon there will be autonomous cars, so it won't go down as the only, merely the first to do what it does. It probably will remain one of the quickest cars in the world, but will likely be surpassed when Tesla builds the Roadster Mk II.

Should you buy one? If you can afford it, definitely! It will be an amazing car. I'd strongly advise anyone never to borrow money to buy a fancy car, though. If you need a car and have to borrow to get one, get a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. Debt is a killer and should be used only for absolute necessities like a home or basic transportation.

I think he meant that it was the only car to have a combination of those traits. It is the only car to have both 300+ mile range AND unlimited super charging.

As far as FSD, we don't know what the technology and regulation will permit yet. It is definitely within the realm of the possible that the driver does not need to be alert and potentially not even present under the right circumstances. If the weather gets bad and the car has to find a safe place to pull over for several hours on its way home from dropping you off at the airport it's not really a big deal.

Are you really telling me I should withdraw 160k from my investment account that's earning an average of 4-5%

No offense but people who give financial advice to others without knowing those people piss me off.
You don't even have to know people to know that is terrible advise. You just have had to make it through some basic high school classes. Not even with good grades.

My brutha - thanks for the blog. WRT the price of the car - there's this thing called modesty...

I don't really consider it borrowing if you're just manipulating bank/brokerage accounts, taking out a "loan" instead of drawing money out of a higher-yield investment portfolio. I was talking about people who go deeply into debt to buy a car or other luxury item they could not otherwise afford. People like that dig themselves into a debt hole they cannot get out of and end up with all the stress-related illness from being unable to pay for necessary expenses later.

I don't really consider it borrowing if you're just manipulating bank/brokerage accounts, taking out a "loan" instead of drawing money out of a higher-yield investment portfolio. I was talking about people who go deeply into debt to buy a car or other luxury item they could not otherwise afford. People like that dig themselves into a debt hole they cannot get out of and end up with all the stress-related illness from being unable to pay for necessary expenses later.
it doesn't matter what you consider, you made a clear and precise statement when you said, "I'd strongly advise anyone never to borrow money to buy a fancy car,"
Which on its own is terrible advice.

That aside I completely understand what you mean.

It will go down as the only car to:

-Exceed 300 mile range
-Come with unlimited lifetime fuel.
-Be completely self driving (under some circumstances)
-Be one of the quickest and fastest cars in the world.

It was a unique car. There are still a few available. Should I? The kids I don't have yet don't need a college fund - right?

Are you thinking New Inventory? If so, does that actually still get the FUSC?