Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Paint Coatings and Clear Bra/XPel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can other owners/members give me guidance on what the cost to wrap the entire car in X-pel ultimate should be? Here in San Deigo, I have bee quoted $1,200 to as high as $3,800! What should I realistically expect to pay and what could possibly explain such a crazy price difference?

Thanks in advance.

That does since very very cheap. Specially if it's with Xpel Ultimate. I'm guessing the stores you called thought you were asking about full front end wrap.

Opti-Coat and Clear Bra/XPel

With my delivery scheduled next month, I have read just about all of the posts about Opti-Coat and Xpel. I contacted the maker of Opti-Coat. Here is his direct email quote today:

"We recommend applying Opti-Coat Pro before installing XPel - there are no problems with the clear bra adhering and if it became necessary to remove it, you are still protected. There is also no problem applying Pro over the bra (it's been done both ways) and some choose to do both - apply Opti-Coat under AND over the bra."
Best Regards,
Ronald Doyle
Optimum Polymer Technologies, Inc.

So, I am as confused as ever! I'd appreciate any input from the detailer community.

I am confused. I have the protective film on the front/back bumpers and hood. I am now thinking of having a opti coat or cquartz (which is better????) application. would I have it put on the whole car? over the protective film? or only the areas that do not have the protective film??? I have now seen advise for both on here. Should I put it over the protective film as well??? and which is better? Opit coat or Cquartz??? thanks!!!

To me it's puzzling that a coating is suppose to withstand bird droppings, tree sap, the elements, etc., yet it has no affect on the adhesive from clear bra. Coatings claim that they "bond" to the clearcoat and form a "layer" of protection. If that's the case, how can the clear bra adhesive make "contact" with the clear coat if there is a coating "layer" in between? In our shop, we perform a paint correction, apply the film, then apply a nano coating. But, to each his own. If the clear bra is there to protect the paint, I don't see why you'd need further protection underneath the film as that surface never sees the elements. My 2 cents