Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: CAREFUL--Autopilot sudden braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure they're working on it as hard as they can. It's probably not an easy problem to solve, or they'd have fixed it a long time ago. FWIW, it's been months since I had a hard phantom braking event. I get the occasional very gentle braking event.
Yeah hope they solve it soon cause at the rate they are going, they promised the world. Especially Elon saying he wants full self drive fully autonomous.

Yeah hope they solve it soon cause at the rate they are going, they promised the world. Especially Elon saying he wants full self drive fully autonomous.

That will come. But don't hold your breath. It probably will never come for the 2019 cars. I am of the opinion that our cars (in spite of Elon's promise) lack sufficient hardware. The difficulty in solving the phantom braking issue is a hint of how hard true FSD really is. There are just so many critical edge cases. And while neural networks have proven to be truly amazing at games like chess and go, with clearly-defined rules and structures, they're still not able to react to novel situations the way people can.

Computers are nothing like brains, and brains are nothing like computers. A teacher of programming once said to me that computers are not smart. They're stupid, but very, very fast. When a computer does something better than a human, it's doing it very differently. When we finally get fully autonomous cars, they will be much safer than human drivers, but the accidents they do have will be very different sorts of accidents. They will make none of the mistakes humans make, but they will make mistakes a human would never make. Phantom braking is a hint of that.

I also experienced phantom braking with my 9/18 Model S - probably about 10 times total in a year. It seems to be related to trucks I'm passing in the lane to the right of me. Could it be chrome reflections? Shadows? Possibly seems to sense white trucks more often? It is pretty jarring and luckily no one has been tailgating when it happens (yet) but that's my fear.