Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Check - Used Model S 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, first post here by a possibly soon to be Tesla owner. I'm in the market for a used Tesla and after some research, it seems that getting the biggest battery possible I can afford is the way to go (definitely open to suggestions if this is not the case). My search has been mostly focused on 100D or P100D Model Ss.

I just put down a deposit with a dealer for a 2017 Model S 100D with a bit less than 130k miles for 33K out the door. The car has Autopilot (but not FSD), standard connectivity and HW 2.0. The dealer claimed that the car has 301mi range when fully charged, which would be around a 10% degradation from the original EPA range of 335mi. To me, this is acceptable. The car seems to be in good condition from the pictures.

From what I can see, similar 100D models tend to go for over 40K, so this almost seems too good to be true. Am I missing anything? Tesla's battery and drivetrain warranty is a bit ambiguous to me, and I couldn't figure out whether the warranty has a cap of 150K miles or not. In the worst case, it seems like I'd still have around 2 years and at least 20K miles left.

Is my understanding of the warranty correct and is this a good deal? I'm going for a test drive this weekend before committing. What do you guys think?

2017 S100D should have the unlimited mile range battery and drive unit warranty. The basic comprehensive warranty is expired.

I think the price is too high with 130K miles. Wholesale value of this car is probably around $25K.

I know used inventory is limited, but for $33K I would want an extended service contract included.

I see you maybe in NY area? You can DM me and I can suggest some alternatives...

Thanks for the reply! That’s definitely good to know about the warranty and I feel more comfortable knowing that there won’t be any limit on the milage.

Would a fair price be closer to $28K - $30K? The $33K is including some fees they tacked on to the listing price, so I‘m confident I can bring it down to $30K.

Rats. I think that was the one I made an offer on just a couple hours after you. If you are interested in a little something in exchange for you walking away, let me know. It will save you a trip to Virginia this weekend...

That sounds awesome, what kinda charging curve is expected on those?
Assuming you mean time required to charge from X to 90% or whatever, there are too many variables to provide a straight answer or graph (state of charge at start, Supercharger kW max / available, battery temp, etc.). The throttling affected not just speed but also accessible "capacity" per this article, which states that 2016 and earlier cars are affected.

@LonelyMS, I ended up purchasing the vehicle in my first post and have driven it around 2000 miles since then, including a 1200mi road trip. The battery has a little over 130k miles on it at this point, so I would expect any throttling issues to have happened already. Personally, I’m satisfied with the supercharging speed even though I’ve never gotten the crazy 200+ kW speeds that you can get on newer models. You can definitely expect around an average of 120 kW under 50% charge level in my experience. I’ve been running TeslaMate since I got it and I’ll attach the charging curve. It’s a little noisy since it doesn’t have all that much data yet, but should give you a good idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpeg
    IMG_0997.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 161
  • Informative
Reactions: Yurand
@LonelyMS, I ended up purchasing the vehicle in my first post and have driven it around 2000 miles since then, including a 1200mi road trip. The battery has a little over 130k miles on it at this point, so I would expect any throttling issues to have happened already. Personally, I’m satisfied with the supercharging speed even though I’ve never gotten the crazy 200+ kW speeds that you can get on newer models. You can definitely expect around an average of 120 kW under 50% charge level in my experience. I’ve been running TeslaMate since I got it and I’ll attach the charging curve. It’s a little noisy since it doesn’t have all that much data yet, but should give you a good idea.
How is your avg kW/h with your 100D? I just bought one and assumed it would be less than my '12 P85.