Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a SR+ owner and I also got the email, look 5 post above where I posted a picture of the Sat Nav back in 29 April, I also got the web browser and the streaming audios, so I know that the SR+ is capable of getting these features.

Fred

Yes, no doubt the SR/SR+ has the hardware required to display satellite maps and traffic visualization. But the feature was not offered on those cars so there was always speculation as to whether Tesla would ever offer an upgrade path to get there and whether the path would cost more than it would cost for the Premium Interior owners. I believe the author of the email just forgot that the SR/SR+ trims don’t have the maps and traffic and didn’t think it through before releasing the email. Pretty typical for Tesla actually.

At some point Tesla will realize the mess they created with this email and will have to decide whether to turn on the maps and traffic for SR/SR+ owners or not.

So far we have not seen a single post from an SR/SR+ owner who has paid the upgrade and seen their maps switch to satellite, so for now I would assume it is not included.

Yes, no doubt the SR/SR+ has the hardware required to display satellite maps and traffic visualization. But the feature was not offered on those cars so there was always speculation as to whether Tesla would ever offer an upgrade path to get there and whether the path would cost more than it would cost for the Premium Interior owners. I believe the author of the email just forgot that the SR/SR+ trims don’t have the maps and traffic and didn’t think it through before releasing the email. Pretty typical for Tesla actually.

At some point Tesla will realize the mess they created with this email and will have to decide whether to turn on the maps and traffic for SR/SR+ owners or not.

So far we have not seen a single post from an SR/SR+ owner who has paid the upgrade and seen their maps switch to satellite, so for now I would assume it is not included.

I was told by the Tech at the SC that we would be getting the connectivity deal in Sept. but we got V-10 with all of the cool features like streaming audio, Netflix etc. as far the full connectivity, he was off by 3 months.. still not bad. This will boost the 4th Qtr earning report.

Connectivity

Fred

Last edited:
Check your account where you manage and order Auto Pilot, should be listed there.

Fred

Sure enough I see where I can buy it. Don’t see where/when my subscription ends. (If it’s truly a year I’ve got another 6 months)

edit: found it just now. Yeah I’m good Til June 2020. Yay. Not sure If I’ll pay the money for it. Don’t see it as that huge of a gain considering how terrible ATT is here anyway. Might as well stream from my phone that I’m already paying out the butt for.
Edit #2: thank you!

I understand. I know it’s frustrating to feel blindsided, but it looks like this was something you might have overlooked.

The navigation will still route appropriately for traffic, it just won’t be displayed. So if a visual representation onscreen of the traffic you’re going to be sitting in is important to you, then the subscription service is the way to go.

For me I don’t think there’s enough value added to pay the fee, so if needed I’ll link through my phone.

I am replying to this without reading the rest of what has become a master thread... but saying that, using neftlix in my work parking lot at lunch time so I can actually relax a bit rather than eat a hurried lunch at my desk is worth more than 9.99 a month.

I have hotspot on my phone but its also worth 9.99 a month to not have to fiddle with it and turn it on each drive. At least people have a choice now.

For all the others saying "I dont know where It says premium connectivity is not included for the life of the car", I dont remember WHERE I saw that when I bought my car in dec 2018, but I definitely saw it. I believe it was on tesla's website, but I knew I would have to pay for it at some point.

The only mild irritation I have is, I really dislike monthly subscriptions, so pay yearly when I can. I would love it if they charged 9.99 a month or $100 a year.

Reactions: DrtyJrze
I have a pre unveil day one reservation but didn’t order until after July 1st due to waiting for AWD and P variants to be announced. Got the email... :(
Odd I was able to order my first car in May, what config was missing that you had to wait on?

Yeah.. and I still am missing that Model 3 die cast model too!
Me either, was quite sad about it.

Sure enough I see where I can buy it. Don’t see where/when my subscription ends. (If it’s truly a year I’ve got another 6 months)

edit: found it just now. Yeah I’m good Til June 2020. Yay. Not sure If I’ll pay the money for it. Don’t see it as that huge of a gain considering how terrible ATT is here anyway. Might as well stream from my phone that I’m already paying out the butt for.
Edit #2: thank you!
If you purchased your Tesla on or after July 1, 2018 and have an expected Premium Connectivity trial end date on or before December 31, 2019, you will maintain Premium Connectivity until returning to Standard Connectivity on January 1, 2020.

Just woke up to this email as well.....maybe it's the lack of sufficient morning coffee, but I found it a bit confusing......????

Under "Will there be a trial period for Premium Connectivity?" it reads:
For all Model S, Model X and Model 3 with Premium Interior ordered on or after July 1, 2018, a Premium Connectivity trial is provided for one year, beginning at the delivery date. After the trial ends, Premium Connectivity will be available as a subscription via your Tesla Account.

Like many many others, we (thought we) ordered our M3 in April 2016, following the release reveal?? So are we all considered "pre-July 1??"

Reservation != Order

For example, I reserved some kind of Model 3 back in April 2016, but then ordered a specific configuration at the end on June 2018.

Last edited:
I thought premium connectivity was supposed to be free? Attached my order info and thought the $5k premium upgrades was supposed to have live traffic and streaming. I didn't get an email for ours but my parents got the same car and have to pay.

Not sure if you picked up the car before July 2018. But, premium upgrades are not just premium connectivity but sound etc. and connectivity is typically subscription based. At least I always saw it clearly stated on their website.

I was told by the Tech at the SC that we would be getting the connectivity deal in Sept. but we got V-10 with all of the cool features like streaming audio, Netflix etc. as far the full connectivity, he was off by 3 months.. still not bad. This will boost the 4th Qtr earning report.

Connectivity

Fred

Well, now I’m confused. This link explicitly states that SR/SR+ owners who pay for the premium connectivity will get the full set of features, which includes the maps and traffic visualization. So I guess we’ll have to wait until someone with an SR/SR+ can confirm if they are actually seeing these upgrades.

Well, now I’m confused. This link explicitly states that SR/SR+ owners who pay for the premium connectivity will get the full set of features, which includes the maps and traffic visualization. So I guess we’ll have to wait until someone with an SR/SR+ can confirm if they are actually seeing these upgrades.
Yep exactly....And I can tell you I havent seen a sat view or traffic view yet lol

I’m guessing we will be seeing a quick patch soon. Will post when I go live as I’m subscribed, SR+

Fred

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
$10 a month doesn't seem all that much, but that's another 2 trips to Starbucks I'll have to skip. ;)

I've already had to cut my Starbucks habit to one trip a month, to pay for the increases in my cellphone data plan $20, and the increases in my cable plan $40, and the increases in my streaming tv plan $20, etc., etc., etc. That's 16 trips to Starbucks, I've had to cut out. Now, I'll have to convince Starbucks to pay me, cause cutting 2 trips when I only go once now, means they'll have to owe me one! Think it'll work?

• Funny
Reactions: Jedi2155 and Sherlo