Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Practical Conclusions About Vehicle Speed When Less than Winter Tyres are Used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
Disclaimer: my conclusions are calculations based on my application of presumed simple newtonian mechanics. Since my ability to even pass an O level physics exam without some review is uncertain, I welcome critical review and corrections as appropriate.

Phew ! On to the story ...

I watched a very nice winter driving test done by TFL. In it they measured the time it takes to go from 0 to 25 mph, and stopping distances. Two AS tyres, an all-weather tyre, and the Blizzak were tested. To flesh out their results, I presumed that tyre friction to accelerate is the same as deceleration. This graph was the result

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 8.29.28 AM.png

Then I wondered how much slower a car speed has to be to stop in the same distance as one with Blizzaks. I calculate it as (1 / sqrt of the acceleration time ratio). So e.g if comparing the AS #1 (9.8 sec) with the Blizzaks (6.85 sec), the AS tyred vehicle has to travel at 1 / sqrt(9.8/6.85) = 84% of the speed of the Blizzaked vehicle. A vehicle with All-weather has to travel at 96% the relative speed

YouTube Video Data. Stopping distance of the AS #1 (Michelin Primacy) is calculated
Add some more if you like ! I've had enough arithmetic for one day, but I think it would interesting to calculate reasonable winter driving speeds compared to posted speed limits (used in the summer) and following distances.

Last edited: