Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF expectation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who had PPF done, would you please let me know if there are any parts of the car that the installer was unable to cover with film? I know most edges will be wrapped around, but I have seen some videos where certain parts of cars are unable to wrap around and there is a very small reveal of the paint.

My installer mentioned at drop off that there would be a seam on the front bumper vent area due to the shape of the bumper and the side mirrors due to the shape.

It is possible to wrap without any seams, except the mirrors, but depends on the skill of the installer and the price for the job. A one piece front and requires a full sheet and you can't get it with the template cutouts. Long term happiness depends on the color of the car - darker colors don't really show seams or the dirt they collect, but white cars really do.

It is really worthwhile to search around for a good installer and see some samples of their work. Pictures: Seamless one piece front and back

end wrap and no exposed corners where hood meets A pillar and fender (tricky spot). PPF Guys in Richmond BC do a great job.

ppf guys tesla model s blue full body ppf and ceramic coating (39).jpg

ppf guys tesla model s blue full body ppf and ceramic coating (32).jpg

ppf guys tesla model s blue full body ppf and ceramic coating (35).jpg

It is possible to wrap without any seams, except the mirrors, but depends on the skill of the installer and the price for the job. A one piece front and requires a full sheet and you can't get it with the template cutouts. Long term happiness depends on the color of the car - darker colors don't really show seams or the dirt they collect, but white cars really do.

It is really worthwhile to search around for a good installer and see some samples of their work. Pictures: Seamless one piece front and back

end wrap and no exposed corners where hood meets A pillar and fender (tricky spot). PPF Guys in Richmond BC do a great job.

View attachment 956867

View attachment 956869

View attachment 956871
Thanks for the reply. Are your mirrors in two pieces and then tucked in around the edges with a seam where the two pieces meet?

Thanks for the reply. Are your mirrors in two pieces and then tucked in around the edges with a seam where the two pieces meet?
Yes, two pieces. The last job I had done, the seam was hidden on the inside rather than on the top of the mirror, Looks a lot better that way.

Pic of the blue mirror with the seam about an inch down on the inside. Pic of the white mirror showing the seam on top and finally, pic of what a seam on the front of a white car can look like when it gets dirt in the seam. The white car is my wifes and the wrap on it is a total hack job. The blue car wrap is a work of art.

Meant to say earlier, consider asking some high end car owners/dealers who did their wraps. Guys who do Lambo's and Ferarri's are probably good at what they do. Oddly, I paid less for the great job than the hack job. Guy trained at Ferrari and seams and open corners were not acceptable.

IMG_0488.jpeg

IMG_0486.jpeg

IMG_0487.jpeg

I did my whole car, a blue 2022 MSLR myself with extended edge precuts: DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

I bulked the rear hatch to eliminate the seam on the ridge. There are two seams on the outer edges of the front bumper lip. I removed the repeater cameras so no edges visible there. My car has USS, so you can see the round film edge there. Where panels meet that don't move and can't be edge wrapped, you can see where the film ends ... if you look for it. Like another poster said, not a problem on a colored car. A white one will show after some time and the exposed edges will show the white paint age in color.

It's been a year and a half since I did this, 11500 miles. The film is doing its job and has protected the car from damage. I am surprised the front bumper and hood have had only one hit. But a lot of hits at the flare out in front of rear wheels. I am glad I doubled up in those areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdw
For those of you who had PPF done, would you please let me know if there are any parts of the car that the installer was unable to cover with film? I know most edges will be wrapped around, but I have seen some videos where certain parts of cars are unable to wrap around and there is a very small reveal of the paint.

My installer mentioned at drop off that there would be a seam on the front bumper vent area due to the shape of the bumper and the side mirrors due to the shape.
It looks like you're in the Bay Area too. I got my PPF done with DoubleTake Auto Spa in Fremont and I loved how detailed they were. It makes cleaning a breeze, great protection from the sun fading, and no more waxing.

You can mention my name, Larry, or say you're part of the "Sanctuary Village Community" discount for $200 off PPF or Ceramic Coating and $100 off Window Tints. Cheers!