Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was it covered under warranty? I’m not sure I trust it being the same part number. Tesla is good at updating revision/part numbers for any type of changes. Definitely following this thread.

My vibrations started over 1000 miles. Exactly as described in this thread. Very subtle but noticeable once it’s there. I feel it most from the accelerator pedal. I’ve been following @WilliamG Model S post’s/dilemmas (thanks for your contributions).

I lucked out with my Plaid. Great build, only issue to date is this vibration. Not even the rear tire wear, etc…
There does seem to be some variance between the Plaids. Every single one I've driven has the vibration to some degree. A Turo rental 2021 Plaid I had in California was the most subtle, and that had many thousands of miles on it. My 2021 didn't develop the vibration until 1500 miles, and I knew what to look for and had experienced it with @jebinc 's car, and he also noted mine did not have the vibration, initially. Ironically, my vibration developed while I was on the way home from hanging out with @jebinc , so I figured he sabotaged my car with his mind. 🤣

I've driven a few others, and they all have it, of course. My current 2022 Plaid vibrated from new, straight away, no break in. Initially running the car in Medium suspension height reduced the vibration, and now it only increases the vibration. Wild. Even in Low I can feel the vibration from around 31mph, and I'm at 3200 miles now. After using some lowering links on the front for a small reduction in ride height, the vibration is somewhat reduced, which is a relief. I no longer feel the vibration in the low 30s, and now only feel it around 40-50. So it's clear there's some variance between builds.

Of course, if Tesla were to reach out and use my stupid car as a 2022 patient zero, they could figure this out in no time, but I suspect they:

1.) Don't know, don't care, - at least not at a high level.
2.) Know, but still don't care, as this is a low volume vehicle.
3.) Know, but are sweeping it under the rug as it would involve a lot of annoyed customers if they just blanket admitted to the issue. I guess that ties into the prior point of knowing, but not caring.

For the record, not a single passenger has ever, ever complained about feeling the vibration when I'm driving, even if I'm driving constantly around 40-50. Not. A. Single. Passenger.

Meh. Hopefully @n2mb_racing continues to get good results from his "engineering sample," but I'm still so dubious. Doesn't make sense they'd be putting an engineering sample on his car. That testing could have been done already...

il_570xN.1977080217_l352.jpg

There does seem to be some variance between the Plaids. Every single one I've driven has the vibration to some degree. A Turo rental 2021 Plaid I had in California was the most subtle, and that had many thousands of miles on it. My 2021 didn't develop the vibration until 1500 miles, and I knew what to look for and had experienced it with @jebinc 's car, and he also noted mine did not have the vibration, initially. Ironically, my vibration developed while I was on the way home from hanging out with @jebinc , so I figured he sabotaged my car with his mind. 🤣

I've driven a few others, and they all have it, of course. My current 2022 Plaid vibrated from new, straight away, no break in. Initially running the car in Medium suspension height reduced the vibration, and now it only increases the vibration. Wild. Even in Low I can feel the vibration from around 31mph, and I'm at 3200 miles now. After using some lowering links on the front for a small reduction in ride height, the vibration is somewhat reduced, which is a relief. I no longer feel the vibration in the low 30s, and now only feel it around 40-50. So it's clear there's some variance between builds.

Of course, if Tesla were to reach out and use my stupid car as a 2022 patient zero, they could figure this out in no time, but I suspect they:

1.) Don't know, don't care, - at least not at a high level.
2.) Know, but still don't care, as this is a low volume vehicle.
3.) Know, but are sweeping it under the rug as it would involve a lot of annoyed customers if they just blanket admitted to the issue. I guess that ties into the prior point of knowing, but not caring.

For the record, not a single passenger has ever, ever complained about feeling the vibration when I'm driving, even if I'm driving constantly around 40-50. Not. A. Single. Passenger.

Meh. Hopefully @n2mb_racing continues to get good results from his "engineering sample," but I'm still so dubious. Doesn't make sense they'd be putting an engineering sample on his car. That testing could have been done already...

il_570xN.1977080217_l352.jpg
I've driven two '22 LR model S that don't have the vibration. One had 4k miles, the other 13k.

Still the same old part number, but the service manager said it was an "engineering sample" of a new version of the part from the supplier with tighter tolerances. Invoice below.

View attachment 925674

I would be curious to see when they roll the part number officially. Going to a SC now to tell them to get an Engineering sample of the same part number you can imagine how that will go.

Good to hear you are having good results now, but would like to get your feedback a couple thousand miles later.

I would be curious to see when they roll the part number officially. Going to a SC now to tell them to get an Engineering sample of the same part number you can imagine how that will go.

Good to hear you are having good results now, but would like to get your feedback a couple thousand miles later.
Agreed. I'll post up each week as I get more miles on it.

FYI.. Just saw this on the Service Manual Release notes for this week: (EDIT: I didn't realize it was just an update to an already developed procedure).

Halfshaft replacement..

Wonder when this was developed, just got my March MSP.. only had it a week, so too many new things to look out for, not sure if I've really had any vibrations or not..

This is for 2021+ Model S

1680885452580.png

Last edited:
FYI.. Just saw this on the Service Manual Release notes for this week:

Halfshaft replacement..

Wonder when this was developed, just got my March MSP.. only had it a week, so too many new things to look out for, not sure if I've really had any vibrations or not..

This is for 2021+ Model S

View attachment 925943

So before, they weren’t doing a test drive after changing out a major driveline component? Sounds about right for Tesla.

Reactions: cloudflare69
Ok Jeb/william let’s do this. I have a 2022 msp 14000 miles on it, I have put 4000 on it in 40 days. The only vibration I get is the first drive from 20 mph to about 45 and it only last about 2 miles. I have a set of all season tires and another set of summer’s both (19). The all season tires never fully hook up.
the other vibration is during hard acceleration, almost like a traction clicking limit of differential braking having a little work to do to keep the front straight.
After tires are warm it’s smooth as my other two teslas. Model 3 performance. I would guess the front tires are loosing a little traction causing vibrations. I can minimize the clicking or vibration by using sport and having warmer tires and good concrete to launch. Asphalt is not the best surface to launch the Plaid where I live. Temps when cooler show this vibrations more.

Reactions: bhzmark
Check your ride height at freeway speeds. Mine automatically puts it in low every time, so you are probably riding in low without knowing it.
My theory is sport keeps the front from lifting under hard acceleration causing traction loss on the front wheels. ( I said theory) this may well be a whole different subject.

if so my 14000 mile plaid runs dead smooth not counting first drive vibrations.