Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have the vibration? If so, this article is for you! Be sure to use the “tips” link at the end of the article to register your vibration and concern!

Do you have the vibration? If so, this article is for you! Be sure to use the “tips” link at the end of the article to register your vibration and concern!

That article above is for the old model S. NOT the 2021+ refresh.

Any idea whose experience is featured in the article?
@impastu I would think someone posting on one of the three source links provided in the Canadian publication. I’m pleased to see this one finally get air time, so I’m pushing extra hard for folks to use the article’s “tips” link. Who knows what influence this publication/author may have with Tesla. 🤔

Last edited:
Not true. I suggest you take the time to read it again and click on the embedded links. The article sets the stage with a history lesson, then goes into this new refreshed Model S vibration and even points to this TMC thread….

You are right. I was wrong. I do wish they went straight to the refresh issue. Instead they focus on the old models and even post up a bulletin for them. I am glad they are talking about it though.

You are right. I was wrong. I do wish they went straight to the refresh issue. Instead they focus on the old models and even post up a bulletin for them. I am glad they are talking about it though.
o_O Wasn't the bulletin for the old models in existence before the issue with the refresh was even known? (They had been working on the shudder on the old model for years, and the result of that is the half shafts that go put into the refresh Model Ss.)

Ugh I have this issue too - have noticed since delivery in June 2021. Have mentioned it to service once before with no reproduction while they were looking at it. Going in this week and am bringing it up again. Has anyone received a proper update or fix from Tesla Service on this issue?

Wow, am I glad that I stumbled across this post!

I own a 2020MS Raven and ever since my half shafts (original V1) were replaced with the upgraded V2 shafts (that have additional/upgraded bearings) I am experiencing a vibration under slight acceleration around 70MPH. It only occurs around 70MPH and only under slight acceleration ruling our wheel alignment / tyre issies. Also I have this complaint both with my winter as well as my summer tyres.

What I also notice is that the vibration and sound change when the suspension is compressed as you drive over a bump.

My local Tesla SC have been helpful and they have replaced the V2 half shafts another 2 times as well as replacing the wheel bearings, hubs etc. They test drove the car with mic’s / vibration sensors attached to the various components and have been able to confirm the complaint.

I thought I, together with another Dutch TMC member was the only one with this issue but clearly we are not alone.

Reactions: Jelger

I own a 2020MS Raven and ever since my half shafts (original V1) were replaced with the upgraded V2 shafts (that have additional/upgraded bearings) I am experiencing a vibration under slight acceleration around 70MPH. It only occurs around 70MPH and only under slight acceleration ruling our wheel alignment / tyre issies. Also I have this complaint both with my winter as well as my summer tyres.

What I also notice is that the vibration and sound change when the suspension is compressed as you drive over a bump.

My local Tesla SC have been helpful and they have replaced the V2 half shafts another 2 times as well as replacing the wheel bearings, hubs etc. They test drove the car with mic’s / vibration sensors attached to the various components and have been able to confirm the complaint.

I thought I, together with another Dutch TMC member was the only one with this issue but clearly we are not alone.

Interesting. That is different than the vibration we have in the Plaid. Can you post the part numbers of the new shafts they put in your car? I think they are slightly different. The Plaid has the new shafts from the Raven model X.

Now Im wondering if I have the issue. 2022 LR with about 500 miles.
In "insane" mode (Havent even tried other modes yet) when I go 90% or full throttle, wheel straight ahead, dry pavement, etc? I can feel "something" in the steering wheel, BUT I always thought it was traction control combined with front end getting light. I also feel the same thing if Im doing say, 30mph, then floor it fully. But its not vibration in the seat nor console. It also ONLY happens under those conditions. Light to moderate acceleration never produces any noise/vibration/shudder, etc. And now that I think about it, my 2017 90D with only 11k miles exhibited the same behavior

So do I have the vibration issue? Or I dont?

Now Im wondering if I have the issue. 2022 LR with about 500 miles.
In "insane" mode (Havent even tried other modes yet) when I go 90% or full throttle, wheel straight ahead, dry pavement, etc? I can feel "something" in the steering wheel, BUT I always thought it was traction control combined with front end getting light. I also feel the same thing if Im doing say, 30mph, then floor it fully. But its not vibration in the seat nor console. It also ONLY happens under those conditions. Light to moderate acceleration never produces any noise/vibration/shudder, etc. And now that I think about it, my 2017 90D with only 11k miles exhibited the same behavior

So do I have the vibration issue? Or I dont?
No, you have traction control.

Thanks for sharing this post. The other Dutch TMC member, that’s me ;). Same problem with my 2020 raven, but I also feel the vibrations at lower speeds.

Interesting. That is different than the vibration we have in the Plaid. Can you post the part numbers of the new shafts they put in your car? I think they are slightly different. The Plaid has the new shafts from the Raven model X.
0A999FFF-185C-4FB6-A387-1E66F4546650.jpeg

Ugh I have this issue too - have noticed since delivery in June 2021. Have mentioned it to service once before with no reproduction while they were looking at it. Going in this week and am bringing it up again. Has anyone received a proper update or fix from Tesla Service on this issue?
Replaced half shafts about every 23,000 miles on average on my July 2018 X 100D fourth set 93,000. Awesome car for road trips otherwise!