Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Piano Black Interior reaction to 3M adhesive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody had any experience with mounting cellphone mounts on the Piano Black interior in a MS? I recently purchased a cellphone mount that came with a 3M adhesive. I am wondering how the Piano Black surface would react to such an adhesive. If I stick the adhesive and later remove it to move the mount to some other place, will it leave a smudge on the Piano Black surface? Or will it rip off the plastic?

You should be OK. When you remove the old adhesive, just use your thumb to gently roll the adhesive from one side over itself until you have a little ball, or roll. Takes a little time, but not too bad. I've done it on painted surfaces in my house and on other surfaces with no issue. Then clean any residue with 99% IPA (isopropyl alcohol). Sometimes you can get almost all residue off the surface just using your thumb. Definitely do not try to pull it off. That is where the problems start. It is actually easier to remove than one would think as the adhesive is designed to resist a perpendicular pull off of the surface, like trying to pull it straight off.

I use infiniapps (aka spiritus) magnetic mounts. At this point I've installed 4 in different cars. It's a suction cup coupled with a residue free adhesive so it works on imperfect surfaces and seems to be impervious to heat. Positioning is perfect for mounting your phone on the flat piano black area directly to the right of the center screen. Will try to remember to take a pic.

It's $20 bucks and comes with both adhesive and plain metal plates to attach to your phone or slip behind it in a case.

http://www.infiniappstands.com/pages/ministand

Very cool! This solves my hesitation with getting this type of mount. I don't want anything on the back of my phone. Those bumps and clips don't work for me. Could it be my "tight pants"? I'm giving this one a try. Thanks for sharing it!

I use infiniapps (aka spiritus) magnetic mounts. At this point I've installed 4 in different cars. It's a suction cup coupled with a residue free adhesive so it works on imperfect surfaces and seems to be impervious to heat. Positioning is perfect for mounting your phone on the flat piano black area directly to the right of the center screen. Will try to remember to take a pic.

It's $20 bucks and comes with both adhesive and plain metal plates to attach to your phone or slip behind it in a case.

http://www.infiniappstands.com/pages/ministand