Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OT: Cost to Install Single Zone Mini Split

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m seeking to reduce kWh daily use (and PW drain during outage) by cooling our bedroom w/ 12k BTU, 22 SEER, 230 volt, single head mini split.

Two bids/quotes:
Both about $9k.

Product pricing for outdoor compressor, indoor head unit, and line set is about $1,500 (Mitsubishi) and under $1,000 (Bosch from Lowe’s) if line set not included.

Install shouldn’t take more than 8 hours.

Is $9k bid/quote ridiculous or is that possibly fair?
$7k install cost?

Southeast Pennsylvania (Philly suburbs)

I read @CrazyRabbit did DIY in garage just to cool PWs! That is 😎
I don’t have the know how.
Still cool and, installed Mr. Cool mini split to boot.
How cool is that?!

Second question:

Lowe’s offers about 5 different prices for what appears to be the identical Bosch 12k BTU single head pro package with 20+ SEER, ranging in price from $850 to $1,500. Only difference I can identify in the cheapest package is deletion of the line set and SEER reduction < 1.
Am I missing something or is the $850 package a steal?

As part of a job to install a whole house HP earlier this year I asked the contractor to quote installing a 12k BTU mini split in our second floor master bedroom. Quote was $6k and included a fairly long and complicated electrical run since the compressor would have been on the opposite corner of our house as our main panel and there was no contiguous attic or crawlspace.

Since it was quoted as part of a larger job it might have been a little more expensive standalone to cover the costs of permitting and inspection. We didn't end up going for it since we would probably only use it 1-2 weeks a year at most.

Reactions: nwdiver and Mayer
51217569970_47676742f5_b_d.jpg
I installed a Home Depot one (identical to MrCool) myself. After (State) Rebate ($600.00) it cost me $300.00. Works perfect. MrCool uses pre charged lines. The one I got from Home Depot did not. But I bought vacc pump and gauge from Amazon for like $100.00. Learned a lot doing it and actually had fun doing it. I think it was a little bigger. It was the max size on a 20A 240V circuit.

MrCool is the exact same unit but almost twice the price. You’re paying all that for just the precharged lines. All you do is stick a pump on it to pull air out for a while (at proper vacc). Check for leaks and done. The main unit has the Freon in it. You just open the valve and you are done. With MrCool if you have a leak, you are screwed and need to go buy a pump and gauge any way.

Pioneer, Ductless Air, MrCool are all the same unit. Bosch might be also. If you are at all handy (can replace facet and install an outlet you can do it fine). Watch YouTube videos. Pm me for some tips.

Wireless worked perfect too.

It did heating too. But when it got around 32F it would stop heating and reverse itself for a 5 minutes every 30 minutes. I installed the base unit under a deck that has existing criss cross lattice wood. So you didn’t even see it. And it was out of the weather. Was not to loud either. I just set it on patio bricks. Never moved.

Mitsubishi is definitely better but not 9x better. Contractors will rob you blind.

51216716383_2be3ca6ecf_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
51217569970_47676742f5_b_d.jpg
I installed a Home Depot one (identical to MrCool) myself. After (State) Rebate ($600.00) it cost me $300.00. Works perfect. MrCool uses pre charged lines. The one I got from Home Depot did not. But I bought vacc pump and gauge from Amazon for like $100.00. Learned a lot doing it and actually had fun doing it. I think it was a little bigger. It was the max size on a 20A 240V circuit.

MrCool is the exact same unit but almost twice the price. You’re paying all that for just the precharged lines. All you do is stick a pump on it to pull air out for a while (at proper vacc). Check for leaks and done. The main unit has the Freon in it. You just open the valve and you are done. With MrCool if you have a leak, you are screwed and need to go buy a pump and gauge any way.

Wireless worked perfect too.

It did heating too. But when it got around 32F it would stop heating and reverse itself for a 5 minutes every 30 minutes. I installed the base unit under a deck that has existing criss cross lattice wood. So you didn’t even see it. And it was out of the weather. Was not to loud either. I just set it on patio bricks. Never moved.

Mitsubishi is definitely better but not 9x better. Contractors will rob you blind.

51216716383_2be3ca6ecf_b_d.jpg
Nice work, research and execution.
Yes, I think with the federal tax credit the contractors are trying to capture that, and may be a bit more.
It’s ridiculous to think a homeowner is going to spend $7,500 to install a $1,000 product.
Frustrating.

Reactions: nwdiver
Nice work, research and execution.
Yes, I think with the federal tax credit the contractors are trying to capture that, and may be a bit more.
It’s ridiculous to think a homeowner is going to spend $7,500 to install a $1,000 product.
Frustrating.
To be fair, contractors are not installing $1,000 units. They install Mitsubishi and other high end units. Probably $3,000-ish for 12K BTU. But yes, all the contractors take the tax breaks and then some. Capitalism/Supply and demand, they all do it.

I paid way over what I should have for Solar and Geothermal. Highest in the country. I almost considered doing Solar myself.

Reactions: Mayer
I installed a Mr. Cool 4th Gen DIY unit, 27,000 BTU/hr compressor with two indoor heads (18k and 9k) for just under $5,000 including equipment, permit fees and miscellaneous materials.

A basic 12,000 BTU/hr unit costs $1k - $2k depending on brand. If you can install yourself, you'll save thousands. If that's beyond your comfort level, I'd recommend getting quotes from three contractors. Mitsubishi is one of the most expensive units - Daikin comes in lower, and the Midea white label units (Mr. Cool, Senville, Pioneer, etc.) are the least expensive.

Installation complexity is an important factor to consider. If the installation is far from the electrical panel, cost goes up. The easiest and less expensive installation is one where the indoor and outdoor units are mounted on a common exterior wall.

Last edited:
I had HL Bowman install a 120v 12k btu mini split, mitsubishi in my master bedroom. Love it. heats down to negative 5 F, and easily makes the room/master bath any temp i want all summer (66) without making the first floor 60!

I use this thing to run it: Cielo Breez Plus

$5k installed, I think I got 2 or 3 year at 0% financing too.

I had already run electric, so the install, I could have done my self, but the bedroom is 2.5 stories from ground level, and I'm too old to be on a ladder that high.

Was the install pre Covid?
it was 'post' covid. March 2022. Wow how times flies.

I had a 'spare' 120v run in my basement, that's how I landed on a 120v setup. I could have swapped the white for hot and made it 240v, but to cool/heat 1 room, the 120v works fine. with 2 teslas and a sub panel my primary panel is full, so this was less hassle and works great.

SUBMITTAL DATA: MSZ-JP12WA & MUZ-JP12WA

Indoor Unit:MSZ-JP12WA

Outdoor Unit:MUZ-JP12WA

Last edited:
Last year the temperature in my garage at night was 100F. The inside of my garage doors was 145F! I had to do something. I always wanted to put in a mini-split but I figured I'd have to hire someone to do it. But then I watched a ton of DIY mini-split installation videos and researched the many many sellers out there that will sell you this stuff and I decided to DIY it. I settled on a Pioneer 18K 23+ SEER Link And bought some tools and just went for it. It is on sale now but I spent ~$1,600, got 30% tax break, so after all was done I spent a little over $1,300 on it. I bought the Pioneer because they would offer me a warranty even if I DIY'd the install. If it breaks one day I figured I could replace every part, a few times over, and still be less than hiring a professional to do it once.

I also insulated the inside of my garage doors which should make a big difference.

I had to run a new 240V service and install an A/C Cut Off. I had to drill a 3.5" hole through my brick and stud wall (more tools!) and do the vacuum pump down on the lines I installed. I liked this option over the Mr Cool 'pre-charged' lines. By installing it myself I learned how to fix it if I ever need it.

There are 12K units that run on a 120V circuit. That could simplify things. While it was overall a lot of work, each step is doable, just take it one step at a time. Maybe you hire a handy man for some of the steps you can't do yourself.

This one is a 12K 115V unit that is Energy Star which should get you the 30% tax break. There is a web site to verify the specific models that qualify for the tax break. Check before you buy. Pioneer 12K 120V unit.

Carpe Diem @Rocket_man

If mini split was going in my garage, or even first floor, I might try it but it’s second floor.

The proliferation of DIY video tutorials is amazing. But this one requires integration into my electrical panel, already encumbered by the PV and PW.
I’d be in over my head.
I’ll find a contractor to install for a reasonable price, eventually.

update:
Lowe’s offers install but installer will not install Lowe’s products.
He said something about lower manufacturing quality of products off the shelf.
His company installs only Fujitsu and said price would be about $7,500 installed.
A little better but ….

@Mayer that is a relatively good price for an installed unit. It is a decent amount of work for a first time DIY'er but probably just a full day for a professional. Also pros tend to push Mitsubishi and other 'high end' mini-splits because they have agreements with the suppliers. The 10 year warranty is nice, but that is that on parts or labor? Usually this is a parts warranty and labor to repair will be at your expense.

I'd go to this site and look up the specific model and determine if it qualifies for the 30% tax credit. If not it may be cheaper to pick a more expensive unit to get the 30% energy star unit.

Tax Credit

I like the mini-split I installed. It is practically silent and runs around 800 watts in cooling mode. My two main AC units if operating at the same time can run over 5,000 watts.

Reactions: petit_bateau
@Rocket_man
Thank you.
I am still trying to confirm that the quoted Carrier product qualifies for 30% tax credit.
They provided AHRI Certificate and the SEER rating looks good but I don’t see it listed as Energy Star qualified.
Do you believe the AHRI certificate is sufficient:

1711811674718.png