Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options for O'hare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion? I am planning on a 4-5 day trip out of O'Hare (driving from Milwaukee area). Does anyone know of a parking/charging option for 5 days? Will need a charge to get back. My house is about 110-120 miles one way to O'Hare and figure with vampire loss it would cutting it real close (too close for comfort).

There's lots of public charging stations nearby, but none that I'd feel comfortable parking at for several days. I think you either need to plan on plugging in for a few hours when you return, or make private arrangements with someone who can plug you into a 110v and watch it for you, such as a nearby hotel, private parking lot, or rental car facility.

If you have no problem driving about 10 miles to the Villa Park service center, they will let you charge up for free on the HPWC.
Do you have the 85kw or the 60kw? I can make it round trip, with about 80 miles to spare with my 60. I live in Greendale by Southridge Mall (Milwaukee County for you out of towners :)

I have an 85 but I live in Delafield, i am unsure how many miles a full charge will give me i might try one next week My suspicion is is will be about 240 miles. I should be ok but unsure a little about the vampire loss. I will probably find a parking garage that lets me park and charge with slow charge that is all I will need anyway

Try Watts on Wheels - Limo service and they will pick you up in Milwaukee (probably pricey however). The Limo is a Tesla.

Or see if the Villa Park service center will let you store the car there, then give your a ride to O'Hare from there. On the way home it's a simple cab ride from O'Hare to Villa Park (but they charge you 1-1/2 X meter since dropping you off in a suburb).

I have an 85 but I live in Delafield, i am unsure how many miles a full charge will give me i might try one next week My suspicion is is will be about 240 miles. I should be ok but unsure a little about the vampire loss. I will probably find a parking garage that lets me park and charge with slow charge that is all I will need anyway
I picked my P85+ up at the Villa park Service Center new with a full charge. I had 155 miles (Rated range) remaining when I got home to Waukesha.

Try Watts on Wheels - Limo service and they will pick you up in Milwaukee (probably pricey however). The Limo is a Tesla.

Or see if the Villa Park service center will let you store the car there, then give your a ride to O'Hare from there. On the way home it's a simple cab ride from O'Hare to Villa Park (but they charge you 1-1/2 X meter since dropping you off in a suburb).

You get charged 1.5 x meter if you just walk into a city cab at the curb. What you need to do is to call one of the suburban cab companies (American Taxi, Universal Taxi, Citi-Suburban Taxi, etc) - get charged a flat rate to the various burbs.

My recommendation - that I used in St Louis - is call the third-party parking providers, and ask if they have any spots where they have a simple 120V outlet. Almost every one I called said they did within 25 ft of a parking spot, they're usually out of the way (or at least they have some spaces where they don't have to put cones out to reserve a spot), and they won't haggle for a price.

I live in Milwaukee and work right by ohare and I do the round trip almost every day in my P85.

It is doable but with the vampire load you're right that's cutting it a bit close.

Try some of the remote parking / rent-a-car places. There are a few that have 110v available. Try Thrifty, hertz, avis, etc. Otherwise a bunch of Kohl's and Walgreens stores have J1172, you only need enough to get home.

Generally the drive back up to Milwaukee is slightly more costly in WH/mi than the drive down. I get 280-290wh/mi down, and about 300 - 310 on the way north depending on traffic.

Worst case, the Villa Park service center isn't far away from ohare. They have HPWC that run at 80a. 53mi of range per hour of charge. You shouldn't need to stay long if you can get there. My drive is 88.7 miles each way, I'd go for it with 100 miles of range and just keep the speed to 65-68mph.