Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Model S BUYER BEWARE (BMS_u029 or BMS_u018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NV Ray

Sep 7, 2020
I'm hearing about a potenially alarming trend in the used 2012-14 Model S market that refers to these FAQs I put together. https://docs.google.com/document/d/...ouid=101367879314455822316&rtpof=true&sd=true

Specifically, the BMS_u029/018 is a non-specific Tesla alert that is accompanied by “Maximum battery charge level reduced. OK to drive. Schedule service”. In most cases your range is limited to around 60 miles and usually requires full pack replacement.

One solution has been resetting these alerts at the fraction of the cost of a replacement pack. This less expensive option can be utilized by both dealers and owners looking to sell. Then the vehicle is sold, undisclosed, to unsuspecting buyers. These alerts will then likely return with any software upgrade - MCU2 upgrade, OTA upgrade, etc. - or just over time.

Unfortunately the new owner has inherited these alerts and new significant burden.

Possible solutions - Tesla and other 3rd party vendors have to ability to see if these alerts were reset or you could get the seller to state in writing addressing any BMS_u029/018 resets.

Further info:
@wk057 @Recell

Thank you @Recell
Screenshot_20230425_140316_Facebook.jpg

While I'm all for helping people not get burned on things like this (hence the Twitter thread and all of my related notes here)...

I'd vote against making anything sticky that's focused on an external doc instead of content directly on the forum, especially when the external doc is directing people to non-vendors of the forum and even directing towards and/or advocating a lawsuit.

(Your doc link is broken here btw it seems, I'm just going by what I recall from the one linked in your Facebook group as I presume it's intended to be the same.)

Reactions: MP3Mike
While I'm all for helping people not get burned on things like this (hence the Twitter thread and all of my related notes here)...

I'd vote against making anything sticky that's focused on an external doc instead of content directly on the forum, especially when the external doc is directing people to non-vendors of the forum and even directing towards and/or advocating a lawsuit.

(Your doc link is broken here btw it seems, I'm just going by what I recall from the one linked in your Facebook group as I presume it's intended to be the same.)
You make a good point. Thanks.