Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

octopus Go smart meter requirements ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have the smart meter below, installed by British gas - anyone know if this is OK for the Octopus Go Tarif please ?
1644167508536.jpeg

No display?! How do you do manual readings?

Never mind, I googled it, and this is just the device that communicates with the smart meter network, it's not the meter itself.
thanks for looking into, apparently this 'bit' of the meter shows its an SMETS1 however British gas have been updating these via software to SMETS2 which i need for octopus Go but i have no idea if it has been !

well that was fun, rang British gas and the first said my meter was better than SMETS 2 and was a version 3. So got back in contact and told it was a version 1. then spoke to another person in 'meters' who confirmed it was at first a version 2 but when pressed a version 1 that had been upgraded to version 2.

hope they are right for my switch but some doubt remains, hopefully octopus will be able to do further checks as part of sign up process although their initial checks suggested version 1 ???

I've got the exact same meter & it's defo a SMETS 1. I've been moved to Shell Energy (old supplier went down the pan) and they're saying they can connect to it :S. I just want to get a SMETS 2 meter fitted so can switch to Octopus but they're not playing ball. Not sure how I can force them to ??
I could switch to Octopus without a SMETS 2 meter and wait for them to install one but I'll be put on a super pricey tariff and they're in no rush to install a new one.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I've got the exact same meter & it's defo a SMETS 1. I've been moved to Shell Energy (old supplier went down the pan) and they're saying they can connect to it :S. I just want to get a SMETS 2 meter fitted so can switch to Octopus but they're not playing ball. Not sure how I can force them to ??
I could switch to Octopus without a SMETS 2 meter and wait for them to install one but I'll be put on a super pricey tariff and they're in no rush to install a new one.
Octopus are apparently not installing smart meters at present. I rang them this afternoon to enquire about switching from British Gas (SVR tariff) to October Go. Apparently it is a no go as I do not have a smart meter and they are currently not installing due to financial cut backs. They suggested that it is now an industry wide problem with rising energy costs not being fully absorbed leading to energy companies cutting back on expenses including smart meter installation.

Octopus won’t even respond to any of my emails about switching to Octopus Go, when I call they say I need to email.

About 6 emails over 10 days and not a single acknowledgment, shocking.