Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No hatch-back on model 3 - Anyone else disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Europe, where wagons are very popular, only accounts for 17% of Tesla sales.

Maybe offering a station wagon would increase sales in countries where station wagons are popular?

This is the sales distribution of the BMW 3-series in Germany ("Touring" is the station wagon and the "GT" is a liftback like the Model S):

BMW-3er-Absatz-2014-Vergleich-F30-F31-F34-Deutschland-Verkaufszahlen-750x499.jpg

Source

And if someone wants to buy a station wagon but the manufacturer does not offer a station wagon - he will buy a different brand.

So the Model 3 - as a sedan - is (in Germany) only competing against 26% of the BMW 3-series...

Last edited:
Maybe Tesla should build a factory in the EU to address the difference in market. Have that factory build liftbacks/wagons. For those in the states that want a liftback/wagon then they can order one from the EU but the cost would be a little bit more to cover the shipping cost from there.

Also another alternative, offer the wagon/liftback model but only in AWD with large battery trim, plus a small cost differential for the different body. And don't call it a Model Y.

Maybe offering a station wagon would increase sales in countries where station wagons are popular?

This is the sales distribution of the BMW 3-series in Germany ("Touring" is the station wagon and the "GT" is a liftback like the Model S):

BMW-3er-Absatz-2014-Vergleich-F30-F31-F34-Deutschland-Verkaufszahlen-750x499.jpg

Source

And if someone wants to buy a station wagon but the manufacturer does not offer a station wagon - he will buy a different brand.

So the Model 3 - as a sedan - is (in Germany) only competing against 26% of the BMW 3-series...

Germany has poor Tesla sales, and EV sales in general because of a lack of incentives offered by the US, Norway, and other European countries.

They have a multi-year backlog of orders, why would they spend resources/development now on a car popular in a market that is very EV-unfriendly that has horribly low existing sales?

• Disagree
Reactions: sebxx
Coming back to the hatchback topic, al large share of the Model 3 sales will be in Europe, where the station wagon is more popular and wanted than traditional sedans.So a hatchback or stationwagon version will certainly add to the usability and demand for families, so will definetly be a valuable addition. A CUV/SUV is another popular segment, wanted on all continents (I never understood why), so that will be a likely addition within the Tesla Model range.

I know that the Model X is considered an SUV, but I think that's just for marketing reasons. It's not that much taller than the S. It's basically a tall wagon. I bet the Model Y will be similar, and therefore really will just be the station wagon version of the 3.

I know that the Model X is considered an SUV, but I think that's just for marketing reasons. It's not that much taller than the S. It's basically a tall wagon. I bet the Model Y will be similar, and therefore really will just be the station wagon version of the 3.

The most important is public perception of the car body style.
People in US do not like to be seen driving a wagon or minivan. So as long as Model X and Model Y look like a SUV in public eyes, that's all that matters.

• Disagree
Absolutely.
But with Tesla limited resource, it can only product two new models in the next few years. In that case, a sedan, Model 3, and a SUV, Model Y, would be able to address the largest market in US and the rest of the world.

A station wagon Model 3 would not be a new model. It is just a variation of the same car. it is more like an option - like the Model S with or without panorama roof. It is 99% the same car with just some minor differences in the body work.

26% + 15% + 58% = 99% So I guess, 1% is for the Konvertible?

No idea. It could also be 26.4% + 15.3% + 58.3% = 100%.

In my eyes the Model X is a sports minivan.

A station wagon Model 3 would not be a new model. It is just a variation of the same car. it is more like an option - like the Model S with or without panorama roof. It is 99% the same car with just some minor differences in the body work.
But that isn't quite how they position them when looking at BMW. Yes it is a different trim level, but the body changes are way noticeable, BMW even says they lengthen the vehicle to accommodate a lift back or the hatch (which is longer than the other two).

There is no clear line between what is a hatchback/wagon ("estate")/CUV/SUV/minivan. The proliferation of passenger vehicle types over the past few decades has been remarkable. Compared to when I started driving in the 70's, when it was a simple matter to determine if a vehicle was a sedan or a wagon or a van, for example, today there is a bewildering variety of passenger car body types.

Some of the intense discussion in this thread is generated by differing opinions on what is an SUV vs. a CUV vs. a station wagon (estate) vs. a hatchback.

Last edited:
Reactions: sebxx and Luke42

This "variation" is not trivial at all. It would require a redesign of the structural steel frame - which is major. Almost anything rear of B pillar would be new - much much more than "1%" as you suggested.
That's why there is no chance of hatch back or wagon in the near future.

Reactions: Az_Rael and Zoomit
I had an A5 coupe, the trunk isn't upmarket in any way. I prefered the Sportback version and headroom wasn't even as ridiculous as people say about liftback...
Model3 seems to be about the same size (and price)

Smaller cars the size of the Model 3 are also more popular in the U.S.
But in Europe large cars aren't popular (because of their size, not just the price)

Maybe Tesla should build a factory in the EU to address the difference in market. Have that factory build liftbacks/wagons. For those in the states that want a liftback/wagon then they can order one from the EU but the cost would be a little bit more to cover the shipping cost from there.

Also another alternative, offer the wagon/liftback model but only in AWD with large battery trim, plus a small cost differential for the different body. And don't call it a Model Y.
love those ideas!

Germany has poor Tesla sales, and EV sales in general because of a lack of incentives offered by the US, Norway, and other European countries.

They have a multi-year backlog of orders, why would they spend resources/development now on a car popular in a market that is very EV-unfriendly that has horribly low existing sales?
earlier it was said Wagons are 1.4% in the US...
How much was EV market when Tesla decided to consider a modelS ? (not even revealed, then the backlog too...)

He also said that it "won't be a hatchback" and to my understanding it means that it will be a station wagon! :D
take my money! .... wait he already did

There is no clear line between what is a hatchback/wagon ("estate")/CUV/SUV/minivan. The proliferation of passenger vehicle types over the past few decades has been remarkable. Compared to when I started driving in the 70's, when it was a simple matter to determine if a vehicle was a sedan or a wagon or a van, for example, today there is a bewildering variety of passenger car body types.

Some of the intense discussion in this thread is generated by differing opinions on what is an SUV vs. a CUV vs. a station wagon (estate) vs. a hatchback.
couldn't agree more.

When some wish for better opening (hatch), we get told get a SUV...
Those who want headroom in the back, why isn't minivan suitable for you?

When some wish for better opening (hatch), we get told get a SUV...
Those who want headroom in the back, why isn't minivan suitable for you?

Does Tesla make a minivan?
Basically, it boils down to this, other than the Roadster, Tesla has Model S, X, 3 and Y in the foreseeable future.

And we know that there is no hatch back or wagon version for Model 3.
So either you accept Model 3 as a sedan, or if you need more utility, then you may have to consider Model Y.
And if you insist on a hatch back or wagon but not a SUV, then Tesla won't be able to provide what you need.