Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S 100D or CPO / Used AP1 Refresh P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly - it is just a party trick for me too, I could not see a practical use... even showing off for clients, the regular car seems to be plenty. The 2.5 0 to 60 is almost nauseating.

What size wheels did you get? I like the look of the 21s, just trying to convince myself it's not a stupid choice.

Also going back and forth between sunroof and all glass roof - it seemed a little dark but I liked how big it was.

I got the 19's. I previously had a (non-Tesla) car with the biggest OEM offered rims, and regretted it. It severely impacted ride quality and was very prone to sidewall damage from even the most innocuous looking potholes. And I learned the hard way that wide tread makes the turning circle bigger.

With the impact on range plus my previous experience, for me, it was a no-brainer to go with the stock wheels. I totally agree that the 21's look gorgeous, but at the end of the day, I valued range and ride quality a lot more than how the car would look in a showroom :)

Reactions: croman and OBX John
I got the 19's. I previously had a (non-Tesla) car with the biggest OEM offered rims, and regretted it. It severely impacted ride quality and was very prone to sidewall damage from even the most innocuous looking potholes. And I learned the hard way that wide tread makes the turning circle bigger.

With the impact on range plus my previous experience, for me, it was a no-brainer to go with the stock wheels. I totally agree that the 21's look gorgeous, but at the end of the day, I valued range and ride quality a lot more than how the car would look in a showroom :)

Ok, talked the wife out of the 21s - she didn't want to have to worry about potholes, and since it will be our trip car, less efficient high wear tires with double the replacement cost didn't any make sense.

DId a side by side of the test drive car and ours, and I think I will stick with the all glass roof rather than getting the sunroof again.

Can't wait to bring home our second Tesla! :)

Out of curiosity, are you all getting the stated ranges when driving at highway speeds (> 70 mph)?

I just drove 750 miles. Got my rated range driving at 75mph. I didn't run heat as the temps were comfortable without any HVAC. If ambient temps <37F, I lose 10% range using heat. If <25F, I lose 20%. If <10F, I lose 35%. You get the point. Driving >80mph will run your Wh/mi to around 350. 70 gets you around 300wh/mi (which is pretty much rated range).

Seems most Telsa owners are not performance people. P and L are worth the money to performance guys. I would take a PL over D anyday and lose range.
Love our P90DL and it's not just a party trick we enjoy the power. Sidenote Not all 90s having issues. My SC has not seen one.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I can see how anyone who likes adrenaline and thrills would LOVE the P100D. The car is insanely fast. I'll remember that launch for the rest of my life - but I don't really feel the need for that kind of speed on a daily basis. I did want something faster than my S 60, and I think the 100D will feel about perfect. Will still be the fastest car I've owned by a wide margin, though my old 944 S2 is a bit more fun in the curves.

I just drove 750 miles. Got my rated range driving at 75mph. I didn't run heat as the temps were comfortable without any HVAC. If ambient temps <37F, I lose 10% range using heat. If <25F, I lose 20%. If <10F, I lose 35%. You get the point. Driving >80mph will run your Wh/mi to around 350. 70 gets you around 300wh/mi (which is pretty much rated range).
I'll have to monitor my usage a lot better to make a better judgement on my range. In my recent road trip, I saw a 30-33% loss in range @ 70-75 mph (> 85F; + AC @ 74F).

I was able to make it from Erie PA SpC to Ithaca NY in one go by going 68mph. Tesla nav said arrive with -8% battery. Eventually when I was 25 miles away and still had 31 rated miles it said I'd make it if I went 45. I went 55 which was the limit and made it with 8 rated miles. Sometimes experience with an EV trumps common sense and computers.

I'll have to monitor my usage a lot better to make a better judgement on my range. In my recent road trip, I saw a 30-33% loss in range @ 70-75 mph (> 85F; + AC @ 74F).

We've been going 75 to 80 on AP coming back from Raleigh and definitely not getting rated range, somewhere around 320 wh/mile with three people in the car and the back stuffed with luggage, plus my wife has the a.c. on 66.

Pretty happy overall though, we had no problem making superchargers with the S60 and it charges much more quickly than the software thinks it will.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
One thing that you should consider getting is the High Amperage Charger option. Why? When I got my Tesla last year, it wasn't a consideration in my mind. What changed my mind was going someplace a little too far from a Supercharger but there were nearby destination chargers that could do 80 amps - it would have been great to be able to charge at a faster rate so time wasn't inadvertently spent standing around. This also will work because with the upcoming Model 3, you may be able to negotiate priority charging since it won't take as long should you be in a similar situation. Since you're looking at 2 vehicles, it may make sense to do it so both cars can be charged on a single charger if necessary.

I elected to get a 100D (replacing a written off 90D) in order to maximize range and to potentially avoid line ups while traveling.

Hopefully, things will improve over the next few years as more Supercharging , destination and independent charging stations come online, although certainly Superchargers make a big difference.

I'm beginning to wonder if someone at Tesla reads my posts - it's that or common sense is happening...now that the High Amperage charger is included in new 100D builds.

Reactions: OBX John
I've seen non p90d models have their battery replaced.
I've had mine for owner a year. Tracked it, did countless launches and its fine.

So to say the P90D is a time bomb is a bit over the top
Are you a Tesla employee? The fact that you haven't seen doesn't change anything.
Tesla admits that P90D batteries has a design problem and they will require replacements at some point. They've also limited the max power of P90Ds.