Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (possible) CPO owner. Did I get a good deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been hunting for a CPO Tesla for awhile now, finally I got an alert for the specs I was looking for.
I immediately placed the deposit and now I'm second guessing myself. (I just did it tonight 9/13)

Here's what I got
2016 Model S 60 Facelifted one
Model S 60
EXTERIOR
Solid White Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
INTERIOR
Multi-Pattern Black Seats
Dark Ash Wood Décor
Integrated Center Console
Black Alcantara Headliner
CHARGING
Free Supercharging
OPTIONS
Standard Suspension
Miles: 32,000
Price: $46,000
Local Delivery

I have a few questions:
I noticed that the Tech Package wasn't available, do all of the 2016 come standard with GPS?

The listing on the Tesla website said it had the Autopilot Hardware, not sure exactly what this means (is it enabled or not)
I'll ask my service advisor when I talk to him

Overall I'm super excited and also anxious. I'll also be chronicling my CPO experience.
Thanks and I look forward to being part of the Tesla family.

Looks like a good deal to me. Is it a real 60 battery or a 75 that's software limited. I didn't even realize 60's were still being made in 2016.

I don't believe there even was such a thing as a tech package in the 2016. I think most of that got included in the car at that point.

What AP hardware does it have? AP1 or AP2?

Looks like a good deal to me. Is it a real 60 battery or a 75 that's software limited. I didn't even realize 60's were still being made in 2016.

What AP hardware does it have? AP1 or AP2?

Not sure which AP it has, the listing was very vague. Hopefully I'll get to talk to my rep from Tesla tomorrow.
Didn't realize that there were software limited 60's.

Wonder what the process to unlock it is.

• Informative
Reactions: OVB1
Until you know what it does and does not have, its hard to say whether it’s a good deal. Best advice I can give you is to research a lot before you pull the trigger on a Tesla. Rolling changes have made it very difficult on buyers, esp pre owned buyers, to know exactly what they’re getting.

Any software locked 60s - Tesla would have just unlocked and sold as 75s?

I would cross shop against a LR RWD Model 3. After tax credit you are looking at roughly $5000 more for about 100 miles more range. Brand new and other fixings. Mainly depends if you need to transport five people regularly, need extra space etc.

The questions I would ask is

1.) is a AP1 or AP2 Model S? I’m guessing AP1. If so, is AP enabled?

2.) is that a software locked battery?

That seems like a crazy good deal. It'll have at least ap1.0 and the 75kwh battery - if it's a 60, you could unlock to 75 for $2k.

I'm going to be selling this exact car shortly, so I'm curious as to how your experience here goes - as this price is quite a lot lower than what my research has led me to believe such a car is going for. What condition is it in?

That seems like a crazy good deal. It'll have at least ap1.0 and the 75kwh battery - if it's a 60, you could unlock to 75 for $2k.

I'm going to be selling this exact car shortly, so I'm curious as to how your experience here goes - as this price is quite a lot lower than what my research has led me to believe such a car is going for. What condition is it in?

I don't think it's a "crazy" good deal but it's a good deal. After the upgrade, OP will spend 48K on a 75.

CPO 75s go for around ~50K these days.. here is one with 25K miles, but also has next gen seats - New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Not sure where you are researching but there have been plenty of CPO 75s popping up in this range recently. Lots of lease returns.

Can't edit my post above. Ran a Carfax and it's a one owner car locally here in South Florida.
I'm assuming it was a 2 year lease return.
No delivery fee as I can go pick the car up in West Palm.

Next step is to see what they offer me for my current vehicle (2015 Yukon SLT)

I've been hunting for a CPO Tesla for awhile now, finally I got an alert for the specs I was looking for.
I immediately placed the deposit and now I'm second guessing myself. (I just did it tonight 9/13)

Here's what I got
2016 Model S 60 Facelifted one
Model S 60
EXTERIOR
Solid White Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
INTERIOR
Multi-Pattern Black Seats
Dark Ash Wood Décor
Integrated Center Console
Black Alcantara Headliner
CHARGING
Free Supercharging
OPTIONS
Standard Suspension
Miles: 32,000
Price: $46,000
Local Delivery

I have a few questions:
I noticed that the Tech Package wasn't available, do all of the 2016 come standard with GPS?

The listing on the Tesla website said it had the Autopilot Hardware, not sure exactly what this means (is it enabled or not)
I'll ask my service advisor when I talk to him

Overall I'm super excited and also anxious. I'll also be chronicling my CPO experience.
Thanks and I look forward to being part of the Tesla family.

If range and performance is important to you, I don't think that car is a good deal. It's a base model car with a few options and you may have a very hard time selling it later if you ever want to sell it.

If your budget is around $46K, why not buy an 85D? If you are patient and look around you can buy one for the low 50s. You will then have AWD, better performance, longer range, and more options!

is this a 75kWh battery range locked to 60? If so I'm really surprised that they are not unlocking these cars when they resell them.

I agree, 85D is a better deal in terms of features, but some people (like me) like the facelifted nose of the newer MS.

If the facelift nose is that important, here you go... :)

2012-2016 Tesla Model S Front Bumper Facelift Refresh

Just buy an 85D for around $50K and pay an extra ~ $2,500 for the facelift bumper and you will have a substantially better car to an S60 with hardly any options. Given a budget of close to $50K, if it were me, I would not consider any 60kWh cars when 85Ds are around the same price. The extra range and performance is significant. 85Ds will also hold their resale value better than a base 60.

Update: I received my vehicle and I couldn’t be happier.
Car was almost brand new. Only visible damage was a little curb rash on the wheels and the rear bumper has two tiny paint chips.

Bonus: my electrician who installed my 220v outlet sold me extra Tesla charger for $100. Only had cosmetic damage to it (scratch of the front plastic)

Attachments

• 955E136D-68CE-4177-B49D-2C0F5A73EE49.jpeg
    955E136D-68CE-4177-B49D-2C0F5A73EE49.jpeg
    599.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 6F6BF188-C602-4BEA-B447-FD4B16EA22A4.jpeg
    6F6BF188-C602-4BEA-B447-FD4B16EA22A4.jpeg
    531.9 KB · Views: 112
  • E08841F7-34FF-4DF5-87FA-EAA3871FEA2C.jpeg
    E08841F7-34FF-4DF5-87FA-EAA3871FEA2C.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: P85_DA
6 months ago (April 2018) when I got my CPO there was no inventory of model s in California with the newer facelift and the specs i "was" looking for. I can tell you that I paid 6800 more than you did for a 2015 s60 with 12K miles, tan leather, body color roof, interior wood decor and auto liftgate. It was practically brand new with a little curb rash on right side wheels. Seats appear as nobody sat on them. I think I paid the big premium for the low mileage hopefully it was worth it. Every now and then I look at the CPO inventory for entertainment purposes to verify my purchase. I am very happy with the car I ended up with overall.

Congrats, looks awesome thanks for sharing story.