Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never received the self-registration packet - temporary registration expired!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in West Virginia. I took delivery of a fantastic new Model Y at the end of June in Maryland after paying for it in cash. At that time I received 60-day temporary tags for Maryland, which expired at the end of August. According to Tesla's official support page (https://www.tesla.com/support/registration), I was supposed to receive a "self-registration" packet from Tesala, but never received it. After calling Tesla (and eventually the Tesla delivery center in Maryland) in August, I was issued another set of temporary tags, which expire TOMORROW.

I just called Tesla again, and they told me that Maryland will not issue another set of temporary tags. Of course, without a new set of temporary tags OR the "self-registration" packet, I am unable to register my car, which means that I am unable to legally drive it! In other words, I will not have a car that I can legally drive. To put it simply, I am facing a significant problem. How will I get to work?

I am seeking any suggestions or advice from anyone who may have encountered a similar situation or anyone who can help me. Thank you in advance!

Unfortunately, WV DMW will not let me register the car without the Certificate of Origin from Tesla... So, I am SOL!

Any other ideas?

Tesla is probably in violation of State Law, call the DMV & get the law’s citation. Then send it to Tesla and let them know you are filing a complaint with your State’s Attorney General. If you have to rent a car you can likely get reimbursed in Small Claims court. Hopefully you will not have to go that far.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, WV DMW will not let me register the car without the Certificate of Origin from Tesla... So, I am SOL!

Any other ideas?
Have Tesla provide another temp registration. <-- This varies state by state, so might not apply to your situation. When I took delivery 9/1/2023, I was advised if (highly likely) the State didn't provide registration docs before temp registration expired, reach out to Tesla delivery team on day of initial temp registration expiration and request a new (60 day in my state) temp registration from them.

In general, many state governments are still using the covid excuse for delays in processing new vehicle registration paperwork.

Upvote 0
I cannot help your situation but I'm from South Carolina. I had a 30 day temp tag and my packet was delivered via UPS on like the 27th day. It contained all the paperwork I needed to turn into the SCDMV all filled out except for my signature. It made the process real easy and I was in/out of the DMV in 20 minutes. Sorry about your paperwork not showing up.

Upvote 0
I live in West Virginia. I took delivery of a fantastic new Model Y at the end of June in Maryland after paying for it in cash. At that time I received 60-day temporary tags for Maryland, which expired at the end of August. According to Tesla's official support page (https://www.tesla.com/support/registration), I was supposed to receive a "self-registration" packet from Tesala, but never received it. After calling Tesla (and eventually the Tesla delivery center in Maryland) in August, I was issued another set of temporary tags, which expire TOMORROW.

I just called Tesla again, and they told me that Maryland will not issue another set of temporary tags. Of course, without a new set of temporary tags OR the "self-registration" packet, I am unable to register my car, which means that I am unable to legally drive it! In other words, I will not have a car that I can legally drive. To put it simply, I am facing a significant problem. How will I get to work?

I am seeking any suggestions or advice from anyone who may have encountered a similar situation or anyone who can help me. Thank you in advance!
How did you get this resolved? My tags are going to expire in a few days. Of course, it is impossible to get to Tesla support to even get some answers. How can they operate like this? Sheesh. Buying experience sucked eggs and now this. If it wasn't for the fantastic car, with some exceptions, I would be blasting how bad communication is during and after the sale. Maybe I'll get lucky and get it the day before the temp tag expires.

I might try hitting the model 3 chat that is for questions before buying to see what they say.

Upvote 0

Have you tried following up with Tesla because I would be up their arse if it was around the 2.5 month mark on why the license plate has not arrived. I think in my case it took about a 1-1.5 months for the license plate to arrive.

Upvote 0
Tesla and DMV dragged their feet with my registration in central CA. I finally received my license plates and registration the day my temporary plate expired. Tesla told me the week before if I didnt receive them by my experation date they could re-issue a new temporary plate

Upvote 0
So.. I was happy to get the registration packet, but in my state, we have only 40 days to register from the bill of sale date. Since TESLA dragged butt on getting it to me, I had penalties to pay the state. I contacted Tesla again through text wanting reimbursement for their delays. I had to email receipt/paperwork to them. Hoping I get the reimbursement of a few hundred dollars.

Upvote 0