Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to tint rear window since already 98% tinted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two reps at Tesla telling me it’s not necessary to tint the sunroof and rear window because they are already 98% protected from UV. Is that right?

Tinting the rear window is expensive. I did my old entire model 3 for 3M crystalline in S Cal for $1250 before. I’m just planning to tint the front and four sides since usually it’s only me driving around anyway.

I'm actually getting tints on Friday, and I'm considering whether to tint all four windows and the windshield without the rear. The very small area without in the rear without tint probably doesn't transmit much heat?I can't find too many photos though. I was quoted $450 for 4 windows + the windshield.

I'm actually getting tints on Friday, and I'm considering whether to tint all four windows and the windshield without the rear. The very small area without in the rear without tint probably doesn't transmit much heat?I can't find too many photos though. I was quoted $450 for 4 windows + the windshield.
What shop is that. Is it ceramic tint. Believe they offer same kind of heat resistant even though the transparency vary.

Depends what your goal is with the tinting.

All laminated automotive glass has UVA and UVB filtering so if that is your only goal then you don’t need to tint. Non laminated glass (rear doors and quarter windows on the Model 3) can filter some UV but it varies by manufacturer.

If you goal is aesthetics then tinting the entire rear glass looks the best inside and out. Some people tint the back just up to the point where it becomes dark and it looks fine from the outside but doesn’t look good inside but it will be a cheaper job.

If your goal is heat rejection then only the dark portions of the roof and rear glass are IR treated.

"rear window and sunroof of a Tesla are already 98% protected from UV light": Is this valid also for 2023 Model 3 RWD?

"rear window and sunroof of a Tesla are already 98% protected from UV light": Is this valid also for 2023 Model 3 RWD?
Yes, the rear window and sunroof of the 2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD are also 98% protected from UV light. They feature a multi-layer insulation barrier to reduce unwanted heat transfer and provide superior protection against solar radiation. As well, this model includes an in-glass defroster system that circulates air between panes of glass for a clear view even on the coldest days. The additional protection from UV light ensures that drivers and passengers don't have to worry about sunburns or fading of interior surfaces due to prolonged exposure. Additionally, Tesla's advanced aerodynamic design helps reduce wind noise so that you can enjoy the sunroof without being disturbed by outside sound. With the 2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD, you can enjoy maximum protection from UV light and complete comfort during your drive.

Source: Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

Yes, the rear window and sunroof of the 2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD are also 98% protected from UV light. They feature a multi-layer insulation barrier to reduce unwanted heat transfer and provide superior protection against solar radiation. As well, this model includes an in-glass defroster system that circulates air between panes of glass for a clear view even on the coldest days. The additional protection from UV light ensures that drivers and passengers don't have to worry about sunburns or fading of interior surfaces due to prolonged exposure. Additionally, Tesla's advanced aerodynamic design helps reduce wind noise so that you can enjoy the sunroof without being disturbed by outside sound. With the 2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD, you can enjoy maximum protection from UV light and complete comfort during your drive.

Source: Design Your Model 3 | Tesla
What? No, there is no airflow between the glass panes.

Reactions: JosephAmato