Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NAV: No on the fly rerouting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Run Waze. In the past I'd use my Garmin(for speed limits) and Waze for everything else. At least now I don't need a separate Garmin!

Sergey Brin owns an S and an X and is a friend of Elon's so seems a killer nav system would be rolled out at some point.

Lately I've been mapping my route to work with both my phone (Google Maps) and Tesla's nav to see which picks the better route. The two things I like about Tesla's over Google's is the variable for setting how much time savings before it bothers to re-route and the ability to set a sticky for "Avoid Tolls" / "Avoid Ferries" (not that either of the latter factor into my commute at all, it's just been a long standing issue I've had with Google's app).

From my home, I have two routes that offer comparable drive times, but are in different directions. One is entirely via surface streets, the other incorporates a short stretch of Interstate 405. Before getting my Model X, I would usually take the freeway route even if the predicted drive time was up to 3 minutes slower than the surface-only route because traffic would improve by the time I reached the freeway...making it the faster route most of the time. 3 minutes or more and the surface street route would definitely be faster because I've found the traffic doesn't fluctuate nearly as much. Of course, Tesla's nav has a 2 minute and a 5 minute option...and I find the 2 minute one re-routes more frequently than I would like.

More often than not, the proposed route to work between the Tesla and the Google app differ, but with the same exact time estimate. Tesla's has almost always suggested the freeway route. Since I started the comparison, Google's has favored the surface street route.

The problem is that the Tesla app doesn't show alternate routes when overlaid upon Google Maps...and Google's app shows an ETA for an alternate route at each intersection. Another is that I find it MUCH harder to gauge traffic along a current nav route on Tesla's because the blue route line hides the traffic color and I don't see any other indication of the traffic state (like how Google's app changes the color of the estimated time-of-arrival).

So basically, Google's app helps me make a better informed decision before I deviate from my usual route. Sometimes a small time savings isn't worth the headache of attempting a detour from a usual route. I've played around with Waze and found it would route me down the strangest streets (including suggestions to make left turns at uncontrolled intersections that, during busy traffic hours, aren't necessarily going to be time savers).