Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY seen pulling a ~27ft Airstream yesterday - please don't

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how many people would take the precautions you did? I have a F250 diesel and even if I was going a short distance why would I even attempt to use my Model Y? In fact I didn't buy a tow hitch for my Model Y just so I would never be tempted. I'm wondering if the Y even has the ability to tie into the electric brakes on a trailer?

I bought my truck so that I would rarely run into a situation where I worried I couldn't tow something.

You can buy the pigtail for the Model Y to connect to a brake controller. It's plug and play into the car's harness. But yes, it can drive the brakes on the trailer. But should be limited to 3,500lbs it's rated for.

Reactions: tradosaurus
What could the police possibly do? More like Dept of Transportation would be the right phone call.

Pennsylvania Oversize and Overweight Fines and Penalties​

( Pennsylvania Code Title 75 – VEHICLES Chapter 49 - Size, Weight and Load 4945 )
Any person violating any provision of this chapter for which a penalty is not otherwise provided commits a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $300 for each violation ( Penalty for violation of permit, Penalty for violation of multijurisdictional permit, Penalty for operation with an invalid permit ) . Any person driving a vehicle or combination upon a highway exceeding the maximum gross weight allowed by section 4941 (relating to maximum gross weight of vehicles) or the registered gross weight allowed by section 4942 (relating to registered gross weight), whichever is less, is guilty of a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $75 plus $75 for each 500 pounds, or part thereof, in excess of 3,000 pounds over the maximum gross weight or the registered gross weight. If the gross weight of any vehicle or combination exceeds the applicable gross weight allowed under section 4941(a), the fine imposed under this subsection shall be doubled.
WEIGHTFINE
0 – 1,000 lbs$162
1,001 – 1,500 lbs$203
1,501 – 2,000 lbs$244
2,001 – 2,500 lbs$320
2,501 – 3,000 lbs$443
3,001 – 3,500 lbs$525
3,501 – 4,000 lbs$607
4,001 – 4,500 lbs$689
4,501 – 5,000 lbs$807
5,001 – 6,000 lbs$.04 + surcharge + added penalties
6,001 – 7,000 lbs$.06 + surcharge + added penalties
7,001 – 8,000 lbs$.08 + surcharge + added penalties
8,001 – 10,000 lbs$.15 + surcharge + added penalties
10,001 and over$.20 + surcharge + added penalties

In this case, the GCWR is about 3000lbs over the rating, so you're looking at a $525 fine.

Also, insurance could deny coverage in an accident due to gross negligence. If it were just a few pounds over, it's oversight, but being double your tow rating is willfully ignoring the specifications.

Reactions: Farmer

Pennsylvania Oversize and Overweight Fines and Penalties​

( Pennsylvania Code Title 75 – VEHICLES Chapter 49 - Size, Weight and Load 4945 )
Any person violating any provision of this chapter for which a penalty is not otherwise provided commits a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $300 for each violation ( Penalty for violation of permit, Penalty for violation of multijurisdictional permit, Penalty for operation with an invalid permit ) . Any person driving a vehicle or combination upon a highway exceeding the maximum gross weight allowed by section 4941 (relating to maximum gross weight of vehicles) or the registered gross weight allowed by section 4942 (relating to registered gross weight), whichever is less, is guilty of a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $75 plus $75 for each 500 pounds, or part thereof, in excess of 3,000 pounds over the maximum gross weight or the registered gross weight. If the gross weight of any vehicle or combination exceeds the applicable gross weight allowed under section 4941(a), the fine imposed under this subsection shall be doubled.
WEIGHTFINE
0 – 1,000 lbs$162
1,001 – 1,500 lbs$203
1,501 – 2,000 lbs$244
2,001 – 2,500 lbs$320
2,501 – 3,000 lbs$443
3,001 – 3,500 lbs$525
3,501 – 4,000 lbs$607
4,001 – 4,500 lbs$689
4,501 – 5,000 lbs$807
5,001 – 6,000 lbs$.04 + surcharge + added penalties
6,001 – 7,000 lbs$.06 + surcharge + added penalties
7,001 – 8,000 lbs$.08 + surcharge + added penalties
8,001 – 10,000 lbs$.15 + surcharge + added penalties
10,001 and over$.20 + surcharge + added penalties

In this case, the GCWR is about 3000lbs over the rating, so you're looking at a $525 fine.

Also, insurance could deny coverage in an accident due to gross negligence. If it were just a few pounds over, it's oversight, but being double your tow rating is willfully ignoring the specifications.

I'm just wondering how a phone call to the police would go reporting what you believe is an oversized trailer.

Would they take your call seriously? Have the car and trailer go to the nearest weigh station to verify weight?

My 25" travel trailer has GVWR 6485lb. Model Y Performance tows it like a little toy, no issues at all. Brake capacity in Performance trim is very good, same goes with torque. I think 0-60 acceleration is within 10 seconds - I launch from the traffic light way faster than most other cars can do even without the trailer.
Factory-installed tow hitch has a capacity of 3500lb based on 350lb tongue weight limit and 10% tongue/weight assumption. You can tow 7000lb with no issues if you don't exceed 350lb tongue weight limit, otherwise rear suspension squats to the limit and drive is terrible.
I use weight-distribution hitch that puts a lot of weight to the front of the Y and I distribute the carry inside the trailer to the back (don't fill water tanks, no cargo in the front luggage compartment etc.).

I don't tow long distances with Model Y because I have a dedicated truck for that. But going somewhere within ~30 mile radius from home - sure, why not. If I need to - I will think about installing brake controller (like people do on Model X) and installing different springs and shocks in the back.

View attachment 971324

You don't even have brake on this trailer?

Which scenario is more dangerous/improper you think?

Scenario 1: Towing a car with a tow dolly without brakes. Total gross weight 1750 kg.

Scenario 2: Towing a car with a trailer with brakes but total gross weight 2500 kg.

(Tesla recommends max gross weight tow without brakes is 750 kg.
Tesla recommends max gross weight tow with brakes is 1500 kg.)

Which scenario you take risk if you must to do for long term highway cruise?

1,750kg with no brakes is more dangerous. You aren't supposed to tow anything using a car or truck over 900kg without trailer brakes. The brakes on the tow vehicle just won't cut it, especially down a long hill.

No photo, but I saw a Y yesterday pulling a large travel trailer yesterday on Cape Cod. It was parked in a day-use lot at the Cape Cod National Seashore where I was biking so I swung by for a quick, closer look. It was an Airstream Globetrotter, which, even in the smallest floorplan model, grosses 7300lb according to the Airstream site. This one appeared to be the mid-sized, 27' floorplan, which has a GVWR of 7600lb, but I didn't look around at the manufacturer's rating plate. Vehicle plates were from another New England state that shall remain nameless, but suffice to say that this trailer came some distance and over the narrow, crazy, Cape Cod Canal bridges at that. The Y's rear end was sitting very low as well. I didn't think to notice if they were using a weight distributing hitch, but from the sag, I'm guessing not.

While it's impressive that a MY can pull such a monster at all, dealing with range, charging, etc., exceeding the towing capacity by over 200 percent can only and eventually lead to some kind of handling disaster. Please never attempt something like that. I can't imagine an RV dealer setting that up. Maybe it's normally towed with another vehicle - I hope.
Gross isn’t actual weight. GVWR is the max it can legally weigh fully loaded. Empty/dry weight is less. Still over 6000 but not 7600.

My 25" travel trailer has GVWR 6485lb. Model Y Performance tows it like a little toy, no issues at all. Brake capacity in Performance trim is very good, same goes with torque. I think 0-60 acceleration is within 10 seconds - I launch from the traffic light way faster than most other cars can do even without the trailer.
Factory-installed tow hitch has a capacity of 3500lb based on 350lb tongue weight limit and 10% tongue/weight assumption. You can tow 7000lb with no issues if you don't exceed 350lb tongue weight limit, otherwise rear suspension squats to the limit and drive is terrible.
I use weight-distribution hitch that puts a lot of weight to the front of the Y and I distribute the carry inside the trailer to the back (don't fill water tanks, no cargo in the front luggage compartment etc.).

I don't tow long distances with Model Y because I have a dedicated truck for that. But going somewhere within ~30 mile radius from home - sure, why not. If I need to - I will think about installing brake controller (like people do on Model X) and installing different springs and shocks in the back.

View attachment 971324
so that is probably a tandem trailer and you are pretty brave. i have a vw atlas with a 500/5,000 rated tow package and manual specifically states not to use a weight distribution hitch due to stresses on the unibody frame. wdh is normally designed for truck body/frame construction. using wdh on a tesla where the actual battery is part of a structural component seems like asking for trouble.

You can buy the pigtail for the Model Y to connect to a brake controller. It's plug and play into the car's harness. But yes, it can drive the brakes on the trailer. But should be limited to 3,500lbs it's rated for.
Have you found ANY brake controllers that support Tesla’s 15.5v low voltage system? I’m stumped after working with Tesla for two years.

Towing wiring at the drivers footwell is 15.5 v Prodigy-Tekonsha service lead said they don’t support 15.5v. Tesla disconnected aux power to the 7 pin. So RF brake controllers are out.

I'm just wondering how a phone call to the police would go reporting what you believe is an oversized trailer.

Would they take your call seriously? Have the car and trailer go to the nearest weigh station to verify weight?
MA State Police and DOT have portable scales that they frequently set up near the Rt 149 exit (old Exit 5) on Rt 6 that traverses Cape Cod from the Sagamore Bridge to Provincetown. I’ve only seen them weighing and inspecting commercial vehicles, not personal vehicles towing trailers.

OP:

Neither tongue weight rating nor towing capacity are laws. Call the cops all you want. GVWR, GCWR, on the other hand are clear and enforceable.

Most posters on subjects like this have little to no real experience towing even moderate loads. There will be little to gain within this thread.

Which scenario is more dangerous/improper you think?

Scenario 1: Towing a car with a tow dolly without brakes. Total gross weight 1750 kg.

Scenario 2: Towing a car with a trailer with brakes but total gross weight 2500 kg.

(Tesla recommends max gross weight tow without brakes is 750 kg.
Tesla recommends max gross weight tow with brakes is 1500 kg.)

Which scenario you take risk if you must to do for long term highway cruise?

#2, were it real, and in the right hands, would be considerably safer. However, 750kg for a trailer capable of carrying 1750kg car, complete with brakes, seems a stretch. 20’ long, tandem, etc? Gotta be around 1000 even if aluminum.

I would tow #2, if I approved the loading and trailer, on most long trips. Mind you I’m also willing to wait out / avoid extreme winds, ice, idiots, and etc..

Mind you while I totally ignore tow rating, for I’m a better judge, I would not take such a load on a long higher speed trip with anything less than a 1/2 ton truck or similar.

Have you found ANY brake controllers that support Tesla’s 15.5v low voltage system? I’m stumped after working with Tesla for two years.

Towing wiring at the drivers footwell is 15.5 v Prodigy-Tekonsha service lead said they don’t support 15.5v. Tesla disconnected aux power to the 7 pin. So RF brake controllers are out.
Red Arc brake controller says 9-16v operating range.

Reactions: Farmer