Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 'home' delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placed reservation online 4/1/16 (or 3/31? I can't recall tbh, reserved while on vacation in other country)
Invited to configure 4/13
Configured 4/15
June delay email
ISA contact that car is on its way to AL 5/29
Arrived in NJ week of 6/4 (final destination before home delivery)
Delivered 7/8

Can read my previous thread for cause of delivery delay here.

I received a phone call Friday night around 6pm and was told he would be there around 6pm Saturday. Which is super exciting except for the part that we were to be at a wedding that night. We could have had someone else be at the house to sign for it, except that he couldn't deliver on residential roads...hm. Long story short I stayed home or else someone would have had to meet him, drive home, drive him back, then drive themselves back to the house??

The driver was very nice and friendly, and helped me get the plates on the car (forgot a screwdriver, d'oh). He mentioned many times people forget the plates too and can't drive it! The whole process took about 10 minutes to load off the truck, sign the paperwork, and drive away. I was pleasantly surprised that it was on a completely enclosed truck. I had expected the open air trucks you always see transporting cars.

The Great: It.drives.awesome!!! Smooth as butter! The first ride home was a bit overwhelming when I couldn't figure out how to unlock the car to let a passenger in or how to put it in drive (even though I'd watched a video previously). Once I was the passenger, it was no time at all figuring out the different settings and getting used to everything. It took very little time to figure out the one pedal driving and learning how to ease off the gas. EAP is already engaged and used for a bit. Everything has run great so far (knocks on wood)

The Bad: The car was absolutely filthy. Like, embarrassingly dirty. There are marks and remnants from the white wrap everywhere. Swirls everywhere. Greasy prints everywhere. A big hazy white circle that I'm not sure if it's caked on wax or part of the paint. And so much dirt/dust/pollen that was SO caked on that you couldn't even wipe it off. Pretty confident given the amount of time it was in NJ, it was just sitting in a lot that whole time. Tesla should be embarrassed that this is how a $60k car is being delivered. I didn't even want to show anyone the car til it was cleaned up.

This morning I ran to Autozone for a microfiber cloth (I don't have proper car cleaning tools yet) and took it to a car wash (touch less, the kind with the spray gun you do yourself). Not ideal but I had to clean it up a bit before driving it around. Still didn't look great, but much better. I can't wait to see my car in all its shiny glory after a thorough detail.

All in all, the car is an absolute joy to drive, just like all the people before me have said. When I'm not driving about it, I'm thinking about when I can be driving it again - any possible excuse to.

Was it worth the long wait, lack of transparency, uncertainty, and condition of the delivery....? I mean, yes. We all want this car, but at the same time no, it's not worth it because all of that *sugar* is unacceptable IMO but we are beholden to their struggles. I really hope they can get a better handle on this soon because the experience was not great and rather than having a loyal customer who would have put a deposit down again before all of this, there's no way I would again. I'll just wait 6 months after production starts instead.

Noob question if you've made it this far - how quickly should it charge with a 240v outlet? Charging at 50% left is only like 24mi/hr, I thought it would be faster than that?

• Informative
Reactions: webdbbt
Congrats, but the dirt is one reason to never do home delivery; be sure to go over it carefully and make a list of anything that needs fixing.

Now, on the charging. What? 50%? Charge it anytime you want from anywhere you want. The only rule of thumb is don’t keep it too high or low for a long period of time. So, between say 20% and 80%. I keep my X at 80% all the time and charge to 100% just before long trips.

Bummer, already missed the window to edit my post. Edited to add that I live in a state without a service center and picking up from the next state over is not allowed without incurring sales tax (6.25%!), or driving 5+ hours to NY to pick it up - I did not trust doing this given how many folks report their delivery dates changing within the hour. NH/VT/ME are all home delivery states currently.

I meant 50% remaining and charging from there, set to charge to 80%. I was wondering about the rate - if 24m/hr charge is on par with a 240V outlet.

Reactions: skitown
Congratulations on finally getting your M3! Good to know you feel it was worth the wait and hassle. Speaks to the quality of the product.
What’s your configuration?
Share pics if you can!

ACF1C25E-64E3-4C50-9715-C96BEB64E684.jpeg

Blue, LR, EAP, RWD, hmm anything else to include for it? Standard wheels.

Here it is (delivery truck on the background).

Reactions: webdbbt
Here is some of the dirt/marks. No other quality shots until it’s cleaned/ready for it’s close up ☺️

Attachments

• B1350916-6CE6-4E1B-84D2-C1A049952ACE.jpeg
    B1350916-6CE6-4E1B-84D2-C1A049952ACE.jpeg
    776.8 KB · Views: 182
  • B86034EB-1D18-467E-ACE5-22BA8C2774A6.jpeg
    B86034EB-1D18-467E-ACE5-22BA8C2774A6.jpeg
    727.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 57C6867E-1945-4DB8-BAC2-2C149D9219DD.jpeg
    57C6867E-1945-4DB8-BAC2-2C149D9219DD.jpeg
    800.4 KB · Views: 176
Bummer, already missed the window to edit my post. Edited to add that I live in a state without a service center and picking up from the next state over is not allowed without incurring sales tax (6.25%!), or driving 5+ hours to NY to pick it up - I did not trust doing this given how many folks report their delivery dates changing within the hour. NH/VT/ME are all home delivery states currently.

I meant 50% remaining and charging from there, set to charge to 80%. I was wondering about the rate - if 24m/hr charge is on par with a 240V outlet.
10kW will get you about 35 MPH. The on-board charger is capable of 11.5kW but the supplied charging cable won't allow that much current (but lots of public L2 chargers can do this with the J1772 adapter). 240V @ 32A (the max for the cable) should be 25 MPH ish, so I'd say 24 MPH is right especially if your AC voltage is a tad below 240V which is not uncommon. You can buy and install a Tesla wall connector (formerly HPWC) with a 60A breaker (for 48A charging) if you want to charge at ~40 MPH but you'll probably find no need to do that unless you average over 220 mi/day of driving. Supercharging is, of course, much much faster.

Tesla can improve, but your bad experience is mostly the fault of your state government (and thus your state population) making it illegal for Tesla to sell you a car or service it in the state.

Edit: you might also be able to buy an old UMC cable that could give you the full 48A.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelmn07

Gotcha, that’s definitely a good reason for home delivery. :D

24 mph is fine, it will be full overnight, right? What actual charging are you getting in kW or what are you charging from?

10kW will get you about 35 MPH. The on-board charger is capable of 11.5kW but the supplied charging cable won't allow that much current (but lots of public L2 chargers can do this with the J1772 adapter). 240V @ 32A (the max for the cable) should be 25 MPH ish, so I'd say 24 MPH is right especially if your AC voltage is a tad below 240V which is not uncommon. You can buy and install a Tesla wall connector (formerly HPWC) with a 60A breaker (for 48A charging) if you want to charge at ~40 MPH but you'll probably find no need to do that unless you average over 220 mi/day of driving. Supercharging is, of course, much much faster.

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I saw it up to 228mi/hr at one point so that and 24 seems to be within reasonable range of what you're describing.

As far as I understand, my state is not stopping Tesla, we probably just don't have the population to justify it up here yet. Maybe with the Model 3 they can open up in one of the larger cities. It's actually the bordering state that causes the issue to not allow pick up there, plus Tesla's policy. Most dealerships will drive your car across the border the day you buy it, for any out of staters. Tesla won't. My delivery experience was fine but it stunk that out the 2 months we could have possibly received it, luck would have it the one day we couldn't be here. Getting the car was certainly worth missing the festivities :cool:

As far as I understand, my state is not stopping Tesla, we probably just don't have the population to justify it up here yet. Maybe with the Model 3 they can open up in one of the larger cities. It's actually the bordering state that causes the issue to not allow pick up there, plus Tesla's policy. Most dealerships will drive your car across the border the day you buy it, for any out of staters. Tesla won't. My delivery experience was fine but it stunk that out the 2 months we could have possibly received it, luck would have it the one day we couldn't be here. Getting the car was certainly worth missing the festivities :cool:
My bad. For some reason I thought you were in Alabama; it was probably me mis-remembering from a different thread I'd read earlier. My apologies.

You know i'm gunna go out on a limb here and say ...either the pictures don't do justice to the dirt...or ...well I will leave it at that.
Welcome to the Tesla club.
Probably the pics don't do it justice - it's hard to get a photo in bright sunlight that shows the grime given the color and all that’s visible is the clouds in the sky.

This one does show it best - there's a solid line across from what maybe used to be covered? All the grime visible in this photo could not be rubbed off like dust usually can be.

Sorry if I’m being particular but usually a car coming off the lot is shiny and clean, this (very visibly in person) wasn’t. The big cloudy spot (size of a golf club) in the other pics does not wipe off.

The second two are not reflections, they’re grime.

Looking at these again I can see why they don’t look that bad on screen. ‍♀️

Attachments

• 3D029FCB-D7AA-4625-A305-DC9BC784BA84.jpeg
    3D029FCB-D7AA-4625-A305-DC9BC784BA84.jpeg
    712 KB · Views: 166
  • 60A1671F-CA87-46C5-B43A-821C214E0805.jpeg
    60A1671F-CA87-46C5-B43A-821C214E0805.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 4747B876-E543-4613-9156-D74386D4A456.jpeg
    4747B876-E543-4613-9156-D74386D4A456.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 153
Probably the pics don't do it justice - it's hard to get a photo in bright sunlight that shows the grime given the color and all that’s visible is the clouds in the sky.

This one does show it best - there's a solid line across from what maybe used to be covered? All the grime visible in this photo could not be rubbed off like dust usually can be.

Sorry if I’m being particular but usually a car coming off the lot is shiny and clean, this (very visibly in person) wasn’t. The big cloudy spot (size of a golf club) in the other pics does not wipe off.

The second two are not reflections, they’re grime.

Looking at these again I can see why they don’t look that bad on screen. ‍♀️

As long as they’re not scratches, I’d live with those. It should be taken care of with some good detailing. And the tax savings...I’d take it!

The car still is a beauty!!