Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CA DMV registration fee jumped from $80 to $258!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We do but there are Eligibility guidelines and and income limits (Income Eligibility). I never was eligible on my 1st leased Leaf. I knew that going into it as I was getting a 24 month lease. At the time, you had to lease for at least 36 months or buy and keep for at least 36 months. When I was in the market, a 36 month lease minus $2500 was more expensive per month for over the life of the lease than a 24 w/o $2500 rebate.

I bought a used Leaf to replace it, so again ineligible. Now (w/the current income limits enacted 11/1/16), I make way too much $ so I'm ineligible for a future EV/PHEV unless I bring my income way down.
In addition to the income limits, you can only receive two CARB rebates as of 1/1/2015. It's California's way of telling you to stop buying alt-energy vehicles.

Reactions: cwerdna
You don't think this would also be passed on to consumers as well? and mostly hurt the people who cannot afford it (especially the grocery stores)

Of course it will, but not proportionally.

Right now, in parts of California where housing prices are crazy, most of the low-wage workers commute long distances. Those folks are going to be badly hurt by these gas tax increases — likely much more so than they would be affected by increasing the price of their purchases to make up for that externality.

A commercial diesel tax would be spread across all products, including products transported out of the state for sale elsewhere. California has three major seaports and 8 smaller seaports, and serves as a major transportation hub for the entire country. More than a quarter of all U.S. imports come through California, even though it has only an eighth of the U.S. population. Although I don't have hard numbers, I would expect, then, that more than half of all of California's sea cargo ends up going to other states by rail, truck, or air.

if that assumption is correct, then half of the gas taxes paid by the poorest Californians are being used to repair damage from road use by shippers who are hauling goods to people who aren't paying California gas taxes directly, nor paying their fair share indirectly.

The really crazy thing is that we have a Democrat running for governor who is in favor of this regressive gas tax, and a Republican running for governor who is against it because it hurts the poor. California politics seem to be utterly upside down at the moment to such a degree that I really don't know what to make of it.

Bizarre.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Well Tax cuts are what Republicans run on and I cannot remember a Democrat that was not for higher taxes so seems totally normal to me.

Yeah, but Republicans usually want tax cuts for the extremely wealthy, and Democrats similarly usually want higher taxes primarily for the extremely wealthy. Most of the extremely wealthy in California are already driving Teslas and don't pay the gas tax anyway.

No, this feels more like the Republicans wanting tax cuts on abortions or Democrats wanting tax increases on groceries. :D

• Helpful
Reactions: ArizonaP85
To hit the 13% state tax bracket, you have to be clearing 1m a year. There are not many states you will be able to clear that a year.

Good luck finding a place that have housing that appreciate like they do here. Funny everyone complaints about taxes, but no one complaints when they take their bag of money to the bank when they sell the house.

Housing is certainly one part of the equation, and appreciation is not some uniformly applied measure across all (coastal vs. inland) markets in CA (e..g Del Mar vs. Lancaster). Strong secondary markets like Nashville and Boulder do appreciate noticeably as well, and there are plenty of folks in the Midwest and South with robust real estate portfolios. As with most things in life, it depends on what wants. I happen to enjoy warm weather and ocean activities on a daily basis but my real estate portfolio is still balanced between coastal properties here and income earning properties in Ann Arbor and Columbus, which have still appreciated very, very well.

On income tax, 9.3% is the marginal tax rate for $105K in income if married or $52.6K if single...a near 10% bite is still a significant one and does need to be included in the conversation of ~5% pa housing growth.

A large number of Californians have never lived or meaningfully visited other states. Depending on your line of work, there are plenty of opportunities to earn a $1M+ income admittedly as a specialized physician, business owner, entrepreneur. There are plenty of high income opportunities everywhere, you just have to find or create them - presuming you have the commensurate training of course.

I'm from LA (born, raised, educated - look at my handle) - but to believe that all of CA is some financial utopia where opportunities abound for all and is some sort of guarantee of a perfect life...definitely not the case.

Last edited:
10.25% in my city!, not sure if there is a higher rate in any city in the country?

Oh look, Long Beach even made this article
"Sales taxes
Sales taxes in the U.S. are levied by state, county and municipal governments, affecting the price you pay for goods and services in different parts of the country.
Some of the highest combined state and local sales taxes:
Chicago, Illinois and Long Beach, California: 10.25 percent"

Looks like i'm winning, ha nobody beats me!

Oh man, that's brutal...yeah consumption taxes definitely make sense, but against the backdrop of the entire tax burden in CA, every little bit adds up. Also, Santa Monica has been 10.25% for some time as well.

Yeah, but Republicans usually want tax cuts for the extremely wealthy, and Democrats similarly usually want higher taxes primarily for the extremely wealthy. Most of the extremely wealthy in California are already driving Teslas and don't pay the gas tax anyway.

No, this feels more like the Republicans wanting tax cuts on abortions or Democrats wanting tax increases on groceries. :D

Nonsense... reduce the tax burden for all :cool:

Thanks for pointing that out!

I don't like that a bit because that means when I trade in next time, I won't get a third CARB rebate!
I think they should have left the rebate available for all income levels and as many rebates as you buy EVs. This is one of the few places where trickle down economics actually works. The more incentives to buy new EVs, the more used EVs that go on the market, and usually for a great price (such as Leafs and Fiats for sub $10k). Those are the EVs that will be affordable for lower income areas, not giving a $6k rebate on a $38k Bolt (considering the federal tax credits aren't even available for those with lower incomes).

Reactions: caltechkid and Tam
the increase in CA registration is due to the TIF - Transportation Improvement Fee - that became effective 1/1/18. the TIF is to help repair roadways and infrastructure in the state.

here's an attachment with the table. it's based on value of the vehicle at renewal and ranges from $25 to $175 increase (so most newer Teslas get dinged with $175 higher registration)

Attachments

• 17vin25.pdf
    253.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 17vin25.pdf
    253.8 KB · Views: 68