Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Munro Associates Review of 2024 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always enjoy Sandy's analysis.

I cannot disagree more with him on the stalks, though. He views them as a cost. I view them as a critical piece of the interface. He talks about how the are expensive and Tesla saves money by taking them out but I can say for a fact that I will not buy a car without a turn signal stalk. Period. I know I'm not alone, either. They may save money on production but they'll lose it in sales.

I cannot disagree more with him on the stalks, though. He views them as a cost. I view them as a critical piece of the interface. He talks about how the are expensive and Tesla saves money by taking them out but I can say for a fact that I will not buy a car without a turn signal stalk. Period. I know I'm not alone, either. They may save money on production but they'll lose it in sales.
Nah. They'll still sell with or without stalks. 1 needle (not going to buy this stalk less car) in a haystack.

Nice review….the issue with stalks …and I have never tried them…is that you know that anything associated with cars from the old days is going to go…I’m happy for that to happen…new isn’t necessarily better but I’m willing to give it a go

Reactions: Lance From Jax
Speaking of stalks. My first encounter with shifting stalks was a Mercedes GLC AMG. Though it was so very backwards to shift to drive by pulling down, my brain said I need to go up. Obviously after a month or so it was done without even thinking and things were back to intuitive. So we get the Y, same deal, easy peasy. Now we get the S, WTF, need to swipe down for reverse and up for drive, completely backwards compared to the stalk version. Did get used to it and now I do not think about it any more. Point is one gets accustomed to different methods pretty fast. No different than opening a door an a Y/3, odd the say the least but now its muscle memory.

Nah. They'll still sell with or without stalks. 1 needle (not going to buy this stalk less car) in a haystack.
That’s the thing- I’m far from the only needle. Tesla tried to convince people that the yoke was a good idea but no one bought it (figuratively or literally) and they were forced to change back. I expect the same to happen with the stalks.

Think about it - buttons have been around since before stalks and car manufacturers have been putting buttons on the steering wheel for decades. Do you think no ones thought of it before? No, Elon’s just the first one to be arrogant enough to think it was a good idea.

almost everyone shifted from Analogue to Digital-change is a natural phenomenon-embrace it or lose sleep for nothing.
Lol. Nice attempt at casting me as a luddite. If I was opposed to change I wouldn’t have purchased an EV.

Implicit in your statement is the assumption that all change is good. Clearly this is false and changes must be evaluated on their merits. I certainly hope you don’t jump at every new thing that comes by just because it’s ‘a change.’

Removing the stalks saves a few dollars (at the same time necessitating additional money on other wiring and switches for gear selector and additional switches on the steering wheel.) In doing so, it needlessly complicates the controls and compromises safety.

P.s. there are still a few thing for which analog still works better!

After trying a car without stalks, I can say I won't be buying any car that has stalks.

I get where you are coming from. If I was tied to a feature and a car didn't have it, I wouldn't buy it either.

For me, I find I got used to stalkless very quickly, led to fewer mistakes and leaves my hands on the wheel for a greater percentage of the time.

As you implied though, sales will tell if the stalkless idea sticks around or not.

I suspect this will be the eventual path for all auto makers.

That’s the thing- I’m far from the only needle. Tesla tried to convince people that the yoke was a good idea but no one bought it (figuratively or literally) and they were forced to change back. I expect the same to happen with the stalks.

Think about it - buttons have been around since before stalks and car manufacturers have been putting buttons on the steering wheel for decades. Do you think no ones thought of it before? No, Elon’s just the first one to be arrogant enough to think it was a good idea.

No one bought cars with the yoke? Might want to check the sales data. There was a desire for either option but there are plenty of people very happy with a yoke and no stalks, myself included.

Reactions: Optiums514 and vcor
Getting back to the Monro review......the car was referred to as a Model 3 the whole video....he even compared it to his previous Model 3 (they both did)....but when they got to the back of the car you could see it was the Dual Motor....so, were they comparing apples to oranges ?

No one bought cars with the yoke? Might want to check the sales data. There was a desire for either option but there are plenty of people very happy with a yoke and no stalks, myself included.
Sure, many people did. I never claimed no one would buy a car without stalks, either, but there were plenty of people who didn’t so they started offering the choice. It turned out when people had the choice very few people actually wanted the yoke and now the wheel is standard and the yoke is an extra $1000. Yeah, some people are daft enough to pay $1000 for an inferior control, but to each their own.

There’s no reason Tesla couldn’t offer a choice with the stalks (or put the buttons on the steering wheel so people could use whichever they wanted.)