Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moon Landers (Non-SpaceX) - General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ISRO posted this on their Twitter thread:
I'm reminded of Russia's Venera pictures from Venus, but perhaps the Russian Luna 9 picture is better; the first picture from the surface of the Moon.

First_Photo_from_the_Surface_of_the_Moon.jpg

Is the ice on the south pole expected to be right on the surface or a few feet underneath?
We don't know. We have spectrometer and radar data that is consistent with water signatures, but interpreting the data is difficult. Some say that there could be a layer on the surface, a layer buried, or chunks of ice scattered through the regolith. The instruments can't see very far into the surface, so everything that has been detected would be pretty accessible.

That is an impressive photo worth the whole mission.

Still no signs of water ice it appears. And they have only a few more days before it goes into darkness, and the instruments are not expected to survive the Lunar polar night. But they have published results on a few other tests on temperature gradient beneath the soil, and mineral composition of the soil.

Still no signs of water ice it appears.
I would have thought that hovering a bit would have been an effective way to search for water ice.
But they have published results on a few other tests on temperature gradient beneath the soil, and mineral composition of the soil.

When LIBS turned its laser onto the lunar south pole's soil, the instrument found the expected mélange of aluminum, calcium, chromium, iron, manganese, oxygen, titanium and silicon — but with an added dash of sulfur. Orbiting probes crossing over the moon's south pole had never previously detected sulfur, nor did they have the feasibility to do so, according to a statement by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
RnF9jBAf25yuM3VnyDCgib-1200-80.png

They're searching for Hydrogen now.

A New York Times article (paywalled) about NASA selecting three companies to provide proposals for lunar rovers. The price tag is staggering, and the capabilities minimal (apart from 10 years operating lifetime), but one neat feature is that the rover is supposed to be able to drive to the site of the next landing so those astronauts can use it.

I don't have access, but slashdot provided the following quote

The companies are Intuitive Machines of Houston, which in February successfully landed a robotic spacecraft on the moon; Lunar Outpost of Golden, Colo.; and Venturi Astrolab of Hawthorne, Calif. Only one of the three will actually build a vehicle for NASA and send it to the moon. NASA had asked for proposals of what it called the lunar terrain vehicle, or L.T.V., that could drive at speeds up to 9.3 miles per hour, travel a dozen miles on a single charge and allow astronauts to drive around for eight hours. The agency will work with the three companies for a year to further develop their designs. Then NASA will choose one of them for the demonstration phase. The L.T.V. will not be ready in time for the astronauts of Artemis III, the first landing in NASA's return-to-the-moon program, which is currently scheduled for 2026.

The plan is for the L.T.V. to be on the lunar surface ahead of Artemis V, the third astronaut landing that is expected in 2030, said Lara Kearney, manager of the extravehicular activity and human surface mobility program at the NASA Johnson Space Center. "If they can get there earlier, we'll take it earlier," Ms. Kearney said. The L.T.V. contract will be worth up to $4.6 billion over the next 15 years -- five years of development and then a decade of operations on the moon, most of it going to the winner of this competition. But Ms. Kearney said the contracts allow NASA to later finance the development of additional rovers, or allow other companies to compete in the future.

You'd think Tesla would be all ready for something like this.

The whole "build one and have it run for 10 years" thing is straight out of the "every flight must be perfect" playbook. Send up multiple cheaper rovers and expect them to break every so often. Make allowances for replacement parts as needed, then refine and improve the vehicle through the years.

Is it me, or do all these Moon rovers look stupid. The worst being the IM, Boeing, NG "Moon Racer." The Astrolab one looks the best of the bunch. Strangely, the ones in the video look better than the more official three options.

I do like the idea of a vehicle that can work autonomously as well as transporting astronauts. That is a smart strategy.

They really need some smart engineers like SpaceX and Tesla have to do this thing correctly.

Is it me, or do all these Moon rovers look stupid.
I put this in the same category as what has happened to modern pickup trucks. The designers went from goofy, friendly and effective vehicles to these angsty, aggressive monsters. I assume that's the energy that the first two are channeling. I think the third looks goofy, but in a bad way. It looks cheap and fragile. For crying out loud, let's get a Toyota Hilux on the Moon and be done with all this.

More seriously, I'd prefer some of the concepts that involve a pressurized cabin with a docking adapter plus suits attached to the outside (the "Suitport"). The idea is to increase the comfort level of the crew, and keep dust and crap out of the habitat, whether vehicles or surface modules.

NASA (the Suitports are under the retractable cover on the right):

a side view of nasa's desert rats prototype lunar rover

JAXA (Toyota):

1712337190422.png

The video states that Astrolab has “already signed an agreement with SpaceX” to take their Flex vehicle to the Moon in 2026.

I don’t think anyone seriously believes that Artemis III will happen by the end of 2026.

But I did not know that mission is planned to have a lunar rover onboard and deploy it to the lunar surface.

The Flex rover does look interesting. The Intuitive Machines “Moon Racer” looks ridiculous, like it is designed for high speed in an environment with roads and an atmosphere; it looks almost aerodynamic. The Venturi Astrolab vehicle looks like the astronauts will have to climb a ladder to get to their seats! The Lunar Outpost design seems to have been inspired by the Cybertruck. :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
More on rovers. This time, Japan is tackling the problem of a pressurized rover for the Moon. Target delivery is 2031.

This new agreement between the US and Japan is similarly transactional. Japan will oversee the development of a pressurized lunar rover to ferry astronauts across the lunar surface. This is a significant commitment. It will take the better part of a decade to deliver the pressurized rover to the Moon. Japanese officials have not yet disclosed how much it will cost.

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has been working with Toyota and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries for several years on the design of a pressurized rover. The vehicle would be roughly the size of two minibuses parked side by side, measuring nearly 20 feet (6 meters) long, 17 feet (5.2 meters) wide, and 12.5 feet (3.8 meters) tall. Its interior cabin could offer "comfortable accommodation" for two people, or four in an emergency, according to Toyota.

[...]

The pressurized rover concept, which Toyota calls the "Lunar Cruiser," could explore the moon with astronauts inside for up to 30 days at a time. Crew members will be able to take off their spacesuits and work inside the vehicle in regular clothing. When astronauts aren't onboard, operators could remotely control the rover from a separate spacecraft or from Earth. Japanese officials aim to deliver it to the Moon in 2031, where it will operate for 10 years.

Here's a video that presents the rover contract, including some video of a working FLEX rover, by Astrolab (the one I labelled as "goofy-looking"). It's actually much more interesting than it appears in the render.

They also mention it folding up, which kind of seems important for actually getting it aboard a moon lander.

That pressurized JAXA "Moon Cruiser" one in your later post sounds awfully large... I wonder what transport volume will be like...

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
They also mention it folding up, which kind of seems important for actually getting it aboard a moon lander.

That pressurized JAXA "Moon Cruiser" one in your later post sounds awfully large... I wonder what transport volume will be like...
I assume that they both arrive via Starship. The smaller one is probably compatible with the HLS elevator.

The Moon Cruiser is clearly going to need a different way out of a Starship. I was watching a futurist video about building a Moon colony, and the author had Starships landing on their side so that vehicles could roll out the nose. It would be a challenge, given the difficulty of having thrusters along the side of the Starship blasting the surface dust.

I hope SpaceX soon gets on the task of building dedicated spacecraft instead of trying to have their orbital launchers pull double duty. A much more basic vehicle would be appropriate for Moon operations. It certainly won't need Raptor engines or the structure of an armored vehicle. I wonder if the sky crane technique used on Mars could be scaled up. Create a frame with propulsion that wraps around a standard cargo volume. Not necessarily with standard cargo containers so much as just standard mount points. The frame descends within a certain distance, lowers the cargo on cables, automatically releases the cargo, and moves off as it reels in the cables. In low gravity, perhaps the cables would be replaced by struts. Create different size vehicles for different masses of cargo.

Maybe in another 20 years.