Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model Y: Stock front tires are at 5/32 tread and rear are 2/32. Should I get all 4 replaced or just rears?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are lots of internet recommendations and such… and I’ll add my thoughts to the mix.

I recommend all four most of the time.

If the front and rear pairs are significantly different or you have an unrepairable tire while having a lot of tread life remaining and you’ve chosen to replace just a pair, replace the pair with the SAME brand/design tire. We want the tires to be as similar as possible, changes in brand/design means they might react differently on the road.

So, if you want to replace just the rear pair, you‘ll want to stick to the same tire design. Otherwise, you’ll have to replace all four.

But consider this, modern ABS/traction control systems aren’t too keen on tires that have significantly different tread depths (most internet articles say more than 2/32), as it might confuse the systems. You have a difference of 3/32 now, so it is higher but close. However, replacing just the rear will make it even bigger difference. So it goes back to replacing all four.

Upvote 0
All 4. I got one flat with the stock tires at 8 front rear 7 and Tesla said one new tire was fine at that point.

Got another flat with the tires at 6 and 4, and that was too far out, had to replace all 4. (10 and 4 is too big a difference).

Also, we got a better tires, the stock Conti Pro had such soft thin sidewalks that they got sliced on the rocks on the same dirt road in the same place really easily.

Plus the new tires are quieter and have a better, less jarring ride. I don't remember, Bridgestone Quiet track or something, 3 season, not summer only.

Upvote 0
Unless you are trading/selling soon then it would be worth buying 4 new tires and having an alignment performed when you buy the new tires. Consider purchasing from Discount Tire/America's Tires and purchasing the Discount Tire tire replacement certificate. When you purchase the tire certificate if anything happens to the tire during the tire's expected lifetime mileage and the tire cannot be repaired Discount Tire will replace the tire at no cost to you.

Upvote 0
Costco is the best.

Probably not the brand and thread design you want, but is the best “bang for the buck” Costco give 3 or possibly 5 year… but probably 3 year road hazard warranty on tires

Unless you can get price match else where AND if they do alignments on tesla???

Recently bought tires at Firestone auto care. They matched Costco price minus the road hazard and got lifetime alignment for $200 extra for my Toyota. Planning to get my tires rotated and alignment done every 6 months

Upvote 0
I think you'll find the Continental DWS to be VERY noisy.
Are they EV tires? With tire noise, what do you mean. I gotten tires over decades with online reviews saying tires are noisy and find them not noisy. Not saying it’s not very noisy for you. Only tire I found noisy was on my SUV back in the day, but they were knobby tires

I ve recently got Firestone AS VS and read a review that it was so noisy they had to get new tires. I have them and didn’t find it to be. Each to their own.

Upvote 0
The DSW is NOT an EV tire, no. No work went into the tread pattern for noise abatement. They're great at what they do, but the hybrid tread pattern can be noisy. I have them on two of my cars. In my opinion, on an EV, they would be VERY loud.
I have them for my MYP (until I got a flat), on an aftermarket set of wheels. I admit they're "louder" than the stock tires... but even without music playing (which I normally do), I would say it's plenty tolerable for me. Immediately after switching back to stock, I tried to listen to the road noise... it doesn't feel significantly quieter than the DWS tires.

I guess it's just how much each person is willing to tolerate.

Upvote 0