Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Distance uphill driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cjberg

May 22, 2022
Indio
Efficiency battery range question:

Today I'm leaving on a trip that is 169 miles to destination. My Y says it has 320mile range. Sounds great! Except it's an up hill grade nearly the whole way as I love in low desert and traveling to a river resort in Needles, ca.

There are no charging stations between me and it.
Can I make it?? Should I take direct route Tesla says to and trust the car??? Or should I go the longer way , 75 miles uphill thru morongo valley, & stop in twenty nine palms - recharge and continue 144 miles to needles

It's a real quandary for me.
As I've noticed I can go very far downhill or on level terrain and can watch the battery tic downward like the gas tank on a V8 pulling a 5th wheel uphill on the upgrades.

ABRP has a pretty big buffer and says if you leave with 100% you'll arrive with 15%. I think you're good to go.

1653240308961.png

But it's definitely worth putting in the destination while you're sitting at home and seeing what it estimates. Bear in mind all these calculations are based on zero wind and driving the speed limit.