Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 20-inch square wheel setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is people are thinking that this is an actual forging technology when it is still a type of casting. They take the cast blank and put it against a turning wheel that squeezes the material into a final shape which does offer some increase in strength while at the same time allowing less material overall to be used which is why they are lighter. It is not as strong as press forging where the entire blank is stamped in a high pressure environment.

Reactions: oldsport
The problem is people are thinking that this is an actual forging technology when it is still a type of casting. They take the cast blank and put it against a turning wheel that squeezes the material into a final shape which does offer some increase in strength while at the same time allowing less material overall to be used which is why they are lighter. It is not as strong as press forging where the entire blank is stamped in a high pressure environment.

yup

Cast/flow formed

vs

Forged

Reactions: EightBitWhit
I just got my MX Plaid 2022 two weeks ago. Ride quality was horrendous. Service center did a suspension check and found nothing wrong. My thinking is it could be the 22” tires.

Decided to go with 20” square setup to see if ride quality improves and hoping tires will last longer with square. 275/55/R20. Tire shop recommended Yokohama $220/tire for comfort (4/5 rating) and quiet (4.5/5) rating. Anyone have experience with these tires? Or what tires do you recommend for this setup for comfort and quiet? Thanks!

I just got my MX Plaid 2022 two weeks ago. Ride quality was horrendous. Service center did a suspension check and found nothing wrong. My thinking is it could be the 22” tires.

Decided to go with 20” square setup to see if ride quality improves and hoping tires will last longer with square. 275/55/R20. Tire shop recommended Yokohama $220/tire for comfort (4/5 rating) and quiet (4.5/5) rating. Anyone have experience with these tires? Or what tires do you recommend for this setup for comfort and quiet? Thanks!
Be very careful with your tire selection. I tried a set of Nokian One A/S tires last summer when I went square on my MXLR. Good reviews etc, But there was a sound. A hollow, howel coming from a resonance inside the tire at highway speeds. The foam liner on the stock Continentals gets rid of it. Had to turn radio up 3 notches for normal listening. No reports of this on the web, so maybe just a Tesla /Nokian One thing. Hated so much, I put the Contis back on in 1 month and have the Nokians sitting in garage. So nice to be able to turn radio back down to 4 from 5 for normal driving.

Nokian had a 30 day Money Back GARANTEE, but I bough online so not usable. I would be sure the Yokohamas have something like this or have the foam before I would spend $1k on them.

P. S. So wierd as the Nokian Hakkepellita winters I run do not do this, even w/o foam. So it's all a specific tire thing, but be careful.

Be very careful with your tire selection. I tried a set of Nokian One A/S tires last summer when I went square on my MXLR. Good reviews etc, But there was a sound. A hollow, howel coming from a resonance inside the tire at highway speeds. The foam liner on the stock Continentals gets rid of it. Had to turn radio up 3 notches for normal listening. No reports of this on the web, so maybe just a Tesla /Nokian One thing. Hated so much, I put the Contis back on in 1 month and have the Nokians sitting in garage. So nice to be able to turn radio back down to 4 from 5 for normal driving.

Nokian had a 30 day Money Back GARANTEE, but I bough online so not usable. I would be sure the Yokohamas have something like this or have the foam before I would spend $1k on them.

P. S. So wierd as the Nokian Hakkepellita winters I run do not do this, even w/o foam. So it's all a specific tire thing, but be careful.
Oh man thank you very much! I need to check on that. Didn’t know MX is so picky with tires 🤦‍♂️

Oh man thank you very much! I need to check on that. Didn’t know MX is so picky with tires 🤦‍♂️
Hankook ION EV tires for me. Discount Tires carries them. Not square, but extremely quiet, much better than the OEM contis. Plus probably 10% better mileage, but the jury is still out on that. I need to come up with a road trip to verify. Certainly not worse.

The noise profile is far more affected by the tread pattern than anything else. That foam crap is a gimmick and offers no appreciable difference in the noise level from the tire.

Source: I'm a professional sound engineer and had that crap in my tires until I got a huge BOLT in one and the tire shop refused to fix it (said they couldn't) with that foam crap in there. They also refused to remove it "because liability" but were perfectly happy to let me remove it myself (very easy to do) and then properly patch the tire with the buzzer-rasp and a glued in rubber patch.

I did some careful listening with audio gear after that since I now had one tire without the foam that "might have" been louder if the foam did anything.... And there was no audible difference.

It raises the price of the tires and removes the ability to repair them which increases waste. Don't buy tires with that trash in them.

Source: I'm a professional sound engineer and had that crap in my tires until I got a huge BOLT in one and the tire shop refused to fix it (said they couldn't) with that foam crap in there. They also refused to remove it "because liability" but were perfectly happy to let me remove it myself (very easy to do) and then properly patch the tire with the buzzer-rasp and a glued in rubber patch.
The foam tires ARE repairable as per Continental. Just have to remove the foam in a strip (4" wide) around the damaged area. Don't have to pull all the foam out. ContiSilent Repair

Maybe they wouldn't repair because the puncture was too large or not in the center area of the tire. But the foam tire IS repairable by pulling tire off rim, remove a strip of the foam, then using the proper prep and plug/patch kit.

As for foam doing nothing, all I know is the Nokian had a howell that sounded like a resonance from inside the rim. Can see where a foam absorber would have helped. Maybe Nokian One is a bad tread design. All I know is the stock Continental we're WAY quieter and even wife noticed. Use other brands at your own risk. Might be fine, might not.

The alignment will definitely chew up tires if it is wrong - my sister is not a hard driver and a BRAND NEW set of 60k mile Michelin Crossclimate2 tires were trashed in 8k miles because the rear was so far out of spec.

I've got over 20k each on the same tires on two other Teslas (X and S) and neither one shows much of any wear at all. I might actually exceed that mileage number. Before getting proper adjustable control arms and having a good alignment done, they had burned through to the cords on the inside of the rear in about 15k because of the excessive factory camber settings.

Yes driving like a hot rod will chew the tires up. But Continental are not magical tires for EVs, and EVs aren't magical vehicles. Either the tire is rated for the weight or it isn't. Lower treadwear numbers mean lower lifespan b/c of softer compounds. That will affect everything that wears that tire, EV or not.