Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 system crash While driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My computer crashed today while driving. I decided to try to reboot by holding both buttons in on the steering wheel. As it was rebooting, which took about 2 minutes, I was able to drive but signaling would not function. Is the freeze/crash common? Did I do the right thing?

It's rare (but does happen) in some versions, non-existent in others.

Usually when the screen goes blank, it's already in the process of rebooting, so initiating another reboot at this time usually doesn't do anything (because it hasn't booted enough to recognize the thumbwheels), or it starts the boot process all over again (meaning you are without a screen for that much longer).

Just give it a minute or so to boot on its own. If several minutes go by, then maybe it's time to pull over and see if you can take more drastic actions to get your screen working again. But in my experience, this has never been necessary.

Few times it happened to me over the year, car drives fine and reboots on its own. If it’s too unnerving, fine to pull over and wait, or initiate, full reboot. Never taken more than a couple minutes, happens to me about 1x/ 2 months or so.

Reactions: MikeMcc