Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The statement also makes sense if they are stock brakes and you will notice on the racetrack when you burn through them in a couple laps.

In that case you might notice the lack of sport brakes... ;)
Full context in post #29. Elon was saying that AWD would neither have nor need the sport brake option. Implication being that a P on the track with 20" wheels and sticky tires would notice the sport brakes (so by golly they'd better be included)

Implication being that a P on the track with 20" wheels and sticky tires would notice the sport brakes (so by golly they'd better be included)
I dislike the wording of that tweet... I realize Elon was talking about the car in the context of how they're selling it, but the 20" wheels are irrelevant. Only the tires matter in that example and you can get the same tires for the 18" aeros.

I dislike the wording of that tweet... I realize Elon was talking about the car in the context of how they're selling it, but the 20" wheels are irrelevant. Only the tires matter in that example and you can get the same tires for the 18" aeros.

That is true that the determining factor is tire grip. So, assuming the sport brakes fit on the 18 rims (which I've read they do...), the 20 inch rim comment is mostly due to Tesla options. Although, I'll keep the door slightly (very slightly) open on the possibility that the brakes are more critical on cornering due to the open differentials combined with stability control, and the 20s let the car turn tighter.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Here is a good comparison image I made... Obviously something different here..
gNJkhlx
Note the teeth on the Red Rotor and larger caliper.
M3-Performance-Rotor.gif

I called Tesla and was told that front and rear brake hardware is different if you select the performance package. I asked for more details but the rep seemed very unsure of his wording/details but did state that hardware would be different. I grilled him on this and he said yes more than once. Take this info with a grain of salt. Hopefully it is true.

I called Tesla and was told that front and rear brake hardware is different if you select the performance package. I asked for more details but the rep seemed very unsure of his wording/details but did state that hardware would be different. I grilled him on this and he said yes more than once. Take this info with a grain of salt. Hopefully it is true.
So basically anyone who ordered a Model 3 Performance with 18" aero wheels gets the standard brakes. Makes the $5k performance upgrade option much more attractive now. It's not just 20" wheels, a spoiler, and some pedals.

Why does it appear that the gap between the tire and wheel well is getting smaller - even though that's what the tesla representatives told me 3 times today? <----sarcasm

Everyone knows I'm all in for a pedantic argument, but in this case the car is sitting lower in the P render.

Realize that the configurator render is only placing layers of images on the screen to create a representation of the selected option. Actual alignment of parts may not be exact.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
He has also tweeted "all Performance models get sport brakes". ALL. Nobody at all knows about the "performance calipers", and at this point, I fully believe the brakes to be the same but painted red. Again, if it were a real change of caliper, it would have had its own bullet point. Also, a change of pads or even larger rotor would makes sense before changing the caliper. I just called a showroom, and they of course also don't know but are creating a task for him to help look in to for me. I am also trying to find out if I make a change, does it affect my place in line now that the floodgates have opened?

He has also tweeted "all Performance models get sport brakes". ALL. Nobody at all knows about the "performance calipers", and at this point, I fully believe the brakes to be the same but painted red. Again, if it were a real change of caliper, it would have had its own bullet point. Also, a change of pads or even larger rotor would makes sense before changing the caliper. I just called a showroom, and they of course also don't know but are creating a task for him to help look in to for me. I am also trying to find out if I make a change, does it affect my place in line now that the floodgates have opened?
I am wondering the same thing. I took it off my order only to have second thoughts with the rumors of bigger/better brakes with the package.
I do not think $5k for 20" wheels, spoiler, pedals and red calipers are worth it(10mph boost i think only handful cares about), however if it does come with different suspension or brakes I would change my order (again). I also read the tweet as performance model 3 not performance pack with performance model 3. Tesla should rename package as appearance package or have specific line items. Only Tesla can be this vague and have lines willing to commit to $60-70k car

I think that Elon’s tweets correspond to the performance model as originally packaged ($78k base price). I’m not sure tweets like “all performance models have sport brakes” are still true after the $5000 performance upgrade was introduced, but I feel like at this point only Elon and the employees actually designing or building these actually know.

I bet the wording on the website is vague intentionally in case of last minute changes, such as the original alcantara headliner change

Reactions: mongo and MP3Mike
I think both tweets become ambiguous. They were both made when the performance upgrade wasn't an option. So saying all P's will have sports brakes then was under the assumption all P's would have performance upgrade. Same can be said about the 20" wheels on the track will have the better brakes. This was under the assumption all P's would have the 20" tires.
The answer should come from a rep which it appears several have been questioned and nobody really knows in the company. I have the same issue with "Full Self Driving" vs EAP, where do you draw line in the sand on features being FSD or EAP? No clarity here either yet they increased the post FSD upgrade fee to $2000 more. Classic sales pressure tactics hard at work

I had missed an email from the sales advisor I spoke to. I guess I’ll be keeping the Performance Upgrade after all.

“We spoke yesterday regarding the brakes on Performance Model 3. I reached out to my manager and there is limited information on the brakes, but purchasing the performance upgrades pack exclusively includes the performance brakes.

The brakes aren’t just painted red, they are truly high-performance. They are different from the standard, silver brakes that come on all Model 3 without the performance upgrades pack.

At this time, that is the extent to the information I was able to garner for the Model 3 performance brakes. Please reach out if you have additional questions!

Best,

Julie Finn | Inside Sales Advisor | North America Inside Sales”

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyNavy01
I had missed an email from the sales advisor I spoke to. I guess I’ll be keeping the Performance Upgrade after all.

“We spoke yesterday regarding the brakes on Performance Model 3. I reached out to my manager and there is limited information on the brakes, but purchasing the performance upgrades pack exclusively includes the performance brakes.

The brakes aren’t just painted red, they are truly high-performance. They are different from the standard, silver brakes that come on all Model 3 without the performance upgrades pack.

At this time, that is the extent to the information I was able to garner for the Model 3 performance brakes. Please reach out if you have additional questions!

Best,

welp... I guess I'm going to change my order (again). Hope it doesnt drop me toooo much down the assembly line.

Best,

Very similar as to what I received on my phone call. Let's hope it's worth the money because 5k for wheels and some tack on items is cray cray monies, brakes would definitely make the package justifiable even if just barely.

Reactions: vletnguyen
I just called My local delivery center and they said it's just the color red. It kinda makes sense as I dont think they are charging 11k over the standard awd model for a double burn in motors... at best that would be double the price also it would bring you up to 58 so the other 7k is probably the brake kit and other goodies

I just called My local delivery center and they said it's just the color red. It kinda makes sense as I dont think they are charging 11k over the standard awd model for a double burn in motors... at best that would be double the price also it would bring you up to 58 so the other 7k is probably the brake kit and other goodies
Did you mean to say "it's not just the color red"? The way your following sentences sound is that they told you the brakes are indeed different. But your first sentence seems to contradict that.