Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 inventories up -- any deals happening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that the same model and configuration for one location are available on and off all the time. Even at Fremont deliver hub. I would imagine they would at least make one model available all the time at least. Showing on and off maybe an interesting tactic.

Inventory showing up and constantly changing has always been the norm. When a vehicles is assigned to a reservation number it no longer shows as available. If someone cancels or postpones an order that reallocates the car to inventory. If they change their mind about color, options, or trim level that reassigns vehicles in inventory.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
And I don’t buy they sold 1000 cars yesterday. But neither of us has the data to prove it. For the record I don’t Think it’s a conspiracy theory. I think they took them offline but I don’t know why. Thankfully we have the internet to allow us to needlessly debate it!

if they sold 1000 cars yesterday , by percentages, at least one m3p in the Bay Area would’ve disappeared and I did not see that.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Well, at the end of the day it’s up to Tesla to decide if they want to discount their cars and it’s up to buyers to decide how much they want to pay for them. Whether they have 1,000 or 3,000 in stock seems irrelevant to me. If you don’t want to pay full price you are not going to regardless of how many thousands they have available.

But selling 1,000 cars over a three day weekend across 50 states is not that significant. That is an average of 7 cars per day per state.

Reactions: mattack4000
I’m not convinced any of these conspiracy theories make sense. Very few people know how to look up the total North American inventory of Tesla vehicles. And with malls and retail stores being shut down throughout the country, on line sales are the primary method of selling Tesla vehicles. Removing them from inventory prevents people from buying them. Doing this to “trick” a handful of Tesla enthusiasts who are using site aggregators to track demand is just plain silly. I don’t buy it.
You don’t have to buy it but as someone in the Auto trade I can say for certain that scarcity, real or implied creates a sense of urgency.

That’s why large auto groups do very well in used autos since one can’t just point at a car and say “that pumpkin has been sitting there for 6 months” because it’s likely been bounced from store to store in search of a buyer.

Tesla claims to be vastly different but in reality they use some of the same tricks everyone else uses to make sales. Because it works.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Some of the discounts of late have been overblown too as they have all been demo or showroom cars on the 3. I wish people would put that in perspective.

And more than likely those will be the only discounted cars.

I love a hot deal as much as the next guy (My P3D+ was a 7K mile demo sold as new) but Tesla doesn’t really have anything to gain by discounting or offering outsized incentives on new and untouched inventory at this time and in fact they are protecting current owners resale values by standing firm on that.

Masking the true level of available inventory also aids in both those goals.

• Disagree
And more than likely those will be the only discounted cars.

I love a hot deal as much as the next guy (My P3D+ was a 7K mile demo sold as new) but Tesla doesn’t really have anything to gain by discounting or offering incentives on new and untouched inventory at this time and in fact they are protecting current owners resale values by standing firm on that.

I believe they were doing that in 17 18 n 19, but you don’t see many new cars coming off the line with discounts. I was offered a performance for 2k off and it only had 250 miles on it

I believe they were doing that in 17 18 n 19, but you don’t see many new cars coming off the line with discounts. I was offered a performance for 2k off and it only had 250 miles on it
Investing in a new production line has its costs and even if they were hemorrhaging money initially in the production cycle units sold mattered to keep investors interested. 2020 as a whole will be interesting as it’s the first year without any federal subsidy in the USA and of course the current global event.

In short. If you’re looking to buy, look for the best deal available when you actually need the car.

• Disagree
You don’t have to buy it but as someone in the Auto trade I can say for certain that scarcity, real or implied creates a sense of urgency.

OK, let’s go with your theory. Try to make the cars look scarce to create a sense of urgency. How does the average car buyer determine how many cars Tesla has in stock? The only thing Tesla publishes is local inventory in their zip code, not national inventory. I just looked at inventory in my zip code and there are 50 cars in stock. So there certainly is no shortage in my neighborhood.

So where are they creating this perception of scarcity that will cause consumers to react?

Tesla has never had a demand problem, they have had a production problem. Now that production is stopped, why would they be discounting cars? It's not going to happen.

As I previously posted, Tesla has never discounted cars. They have price adjustments but only when the car has more than 50 miles on it in which case I wouldn't really consider that a discount, but rather a price reduction based on the mileage accrued on the vehicle considering it is not longer technically "new" and you take delivery of it as-is with cosmetic wear and tear. You wouldn't buy a Model 3 from a private party with 5,000 miles on it and claim you got a discount, right?

And how is it hard to believe Tesla sold 1,000 cars in NA in 3 days? Considering they delivered more than 60k cars in NA in Q4 2019, 1,000 cars in 3 days would be below average.

Tesla has never had a demand problem, they have had a production problem. Now that production is stopped, why would they be discounting cars?.

While this statement is true, we are in new territory currently. I'll list some reasons starting with what I think has the most impact-

Coronavirus, job/pay uncertainty, retirement/stock uncertainty, some even fearing company uncertainty
Model Y, just another option where there was none. Also trading in the 3 for the Y, more used 3 options
Cybertruck, last I heard there was 500k orders, surely a few were thinking 3 and (especially) now will wait for the truck
Plaid S/X coming, maybe a different price point but, used S/X prices are dropping so it is an option vs the 3

Interesting times ahead.

I know that 88,000 people took delivery last quarter, at least 1/3 of which was affected by the coronavirus in the US and even more-so in other markets like China.

again... less than 1000 cars per day across all regions and models.

then 1000 model 3 in one day in one country. And not a single post here all weekend from a delivery recipient. Seems unlikely.

Tesla has never had a demand problem, they have had a production problem. Now that production is stopped, why would they be discounting cars? It's not going to happen.

You seem pretty convinced about that, but I doubt that Tesla is immune to market forces. I've seen this before: Car companies with the hottest vehicle in the world are eventually forced to adjust prices. You may be right that they won't, but I bet there's a lot more to the story than simple supply and demand. For instance, they could be forced to incentivize their inventory to meet certain financial obligations.

• Funny
I have seen watched before this Virus on the used side Telsa remove and then relist the same cars over and over.
They seem to have a reason for doing so, it makes sense this why the numbers are fluctuating.

Rather than focus on that though, focus on the facts that they have at most 14000 new Model 3 cars to sell in the North American market and they may not be able to make any more this quarter.
That to me is a very small number to carry them through many weeks ; no matter how bad the economy currently is.
Most are still taking a temporary view so while some directly affected will hold off on a new vehicle, enough people will still want one.

I have seen watched before this Virus on the used side Telsa remove and then relist the same cars over and over.
They seem to have a reason for doing so, it makes sense this why the numbers are fluctuating.

Rather than focus on that though, focus on the facts that they have at most 14000 new Model 3 cars to sell in the North American market and they may not be able to make any more this quarter.
That to me is a very small number to carry them through many weeks ; no matter how bad the economy currently is.
Most are still taking a temporary view so while some directly affected will hold off on a new vehicle, enough people will still want one.
Temporary doesn’t even begin to describe it.
This nightmare could end today, at this exact minute with all affected cured but the economic harm will linger for far longer.